SAO discussion

Otaku1612

Well, establishing this on the casual suggestion of MrAldred in the Anime Suggestion. Go. thread.

Establishing this for obvious reasons due to mixed opinions on SAO. Some hate the ALfheim arc, and I personally know someone who prefers it to the Aincrad Arc. Personally, I liked both, although I am part of the gamer target audience so get behind the whole 'save the princess thing' easier, And to be fair on that, at least Asuna DID stuff,

like try and escape, as well as give Kirito and Yui the card to open the final door in that last dungeon. 

And let's be honest, both had some rather crammed in harem moments *cough* catgirl, cousin, loli, pink haired chick, big breasted elf lady *cough *cough*

So, general thoughts and opinions on this as well as the second season with GGO?

Now I just need to pray I don't repeat the mistake of making a thread when one already exists.

Also, which do people feel is better SAO or Log Horizon? Different approach I know, but still interesting to compare the two of them, at the very least to see how different two things based on the same core concept can be.

Oh god this was actually greated.

Well. my thoughts are:

As an action anime set in a virtual world. It sucked. It was terrible.

Midway through the first arc they completely forgot about the point of the whole setting and just focused on the relationship between Asuna and Kirino. It didn't even feel like a virtual world anymore. it just lost its way in my opinion and could have been much more.

The 2nd arc (ALO) was even worse, there wasn't any element that made you like the setting, it was literally just Asuna being useless once again and then Kirito saving her.

This anime's setting is so poorly used it's annoying. It's just there as a background.

Asuna's introduction was what ruined it in my opinion.

As a romance anime however it was alright. But it was also very much cliché with the whole DID (damsel in distress) thing. The 2nd arc got even worse with the introduction of Suguha in the worst way possible. She could have been such an interesting character but NOPE, they just throw her in as a third wheel and ruin her as a person and make people hate her. I actually liked Suguha, i just disliked the way they used her in the show.

Asuna was still useless. Kirito was still the same, overcoming the odds by shouting and having flashbacks and defeating everything. And the whole show just loses its essence.

So for me SAO is in essence just a show about Kirito saving Asuna and meeting a bunch of girls along the way. The setting is poorly used and almost abandoned halfway through. The action scenes aren't even that great since they're very short, just a little flashy but not over the top. So what you're left with is just crappy melodrama.

But since the target audience for this is teenage boys they yearn to be like Kirito and save the heroine, and thus this show just gets hyped for all the wrong reasons.

It was so-so. I entered without any expectations and got an ordinary love with some cliched drama and some nice action scenes- since I don't really watch many anime nowdays, so-so is above average to me. It was a pleasant experience overall, definitely not the greatest nor the worst anime I've seen. I'd give it a 6.

SAO is just way to epic. It is my number #1 favorite Anime and I loved every second of it. It is an only Anime that can make me cry from sadness one episode just to cry from happiness in the next one. As a setting I did like SAO arc more than ALO however adding Sugu as an MC definitely made up for that. The only thing that I can say about SAO is that it is the ultimate perfection. I love SAO so much that it could be said that I worship it.

i wanted to give SAO a try since there was quite the hype around it. it wasnt bad at all, but i cannot say i liked it that much. i had to force myself watching through the whole thing (i dont remember reason anymore). well the storry was interesting, but i didnt like the characters and the animes genre. ill giv it a 5/10

I read the Light Novels before I watched the anime so my prospective of the anime is a bit different because of that. I agree that Alfheim pulled some dodgy plot elements that kind of pushed SAO from something unique to something average. I'm really enjoying Alicization arc in the light novels, like I'm REALLY enjoying it. I hope the anime will eventually hit Alicization because at the rate it's going the entire story arc can have it's own 24 episode run. Story wise SAO could have ended at the 1st volume and not have the side stories or sequels and it wouldn't have been bad but I'm glad that it expanded.

The author is also making SAO Progressive which details more of the events of what happened in SAO from the 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor etc and not having the time skip.

WARNING: RANT AND SPOILERS INCOMING!
I didn't like SAO at all. The character developments and plot were horribly done, which is disappointing due to it having so much potential to be a great anime. Firstly lets talk about the characters. Kirito is just a wish fulfillment character and nothing more. He is overpowered for no reason at all and apparently is so bad-ass that every girl he meets for the first time falls in love with him ( not to mention that he have to save their ass every single time before they fall in love with him ). Asuna was introduced as a mysterious strong female lead in the beginning and showed great promise but turns out to be your generic tsundere. Her romance with Kirito was so poorly written that I literally face palmed. The antagonists lacked any kind of motivation at all. Why did Kayaba trap all the players in the game and implemented a death mechanism? Because he was bored?! Kuradeel was just plain stupid. The side characters were all quite similar in a sense. They all get one or two episodes each ( which served nothing for the plot) , and then gets thrown away and forgotten until the last episode where they get some screen time. Enough about that, on to the plot. The most obvious flaw: the pacing for the story was terrible. They condensed two whole years of time in 12 episodes. That would have been fine if they spread it out evenly, but no. In episode 1, every player was level 1. One episode later, they were LEVEL 46. And then what did they do with they extra time after the time skip? Fill the gap with filler episodes. What the hell?! Also, the writing was so poor that the author needed to CONSTANTLY pull a deus ex machina. Whenever Kirito is in a pinch, he suddenly becomes jesus and defies logic to save the day. All in all, the only good things I can point out about SAO were the music and animation. Oh man, I'm gonna get so much hate for this.

Guest hairybumslapper

I hate this anime. People give it so much praise when there are others out there that are much more deserving of it. I watched the whole thing thinking: "no it's okay, it will get better, i know it will!" only to be disappointed all the way to the last episode. The constant time-skips and inconsistencies throughout it threw the pacing off, and as a result i did not care about the plot and characters at all.

In short: this anime is simply over-hyped, and did not live up to the expectations set for it.

Overall, some pretty good points made here. And no major flame war yet, so that's a plus.

Seems that SAO simply fell down the holes of 'over-hyped, inconsistent tone and token female characters'.

Let's just hope that GGO learns from the mistakes of its predecessor and learn some consistency.

If I can think about why the anime wasn't as good as the Light Novels it's probably the order that it was told in. The main story arc was the first book in the series and the filler episodes were the second book. It kind of gave you time to process for what was coming in the second arc. ALO wasn't really that great to begin with and I'm honestly scared how the anime is going to do GGO. GGO had a lot to do with the human psych but judging from the first season I don't know if the animation company would be able to capture that essence.