For Love of a Genre: A list of great Chuuni games

Clephas

+Rep.  This entire thread is a great read.  Another excellent post, Clephas.  Thank you.

This reminds me of some classes I took on human and child/adolescent development.  From what I remember, the vast majority of adolescents experience periods of perceived invulnerability (my professor called them "Hercules periods") where the adolescents believe they are above risk.  This period is often accompanied by completely normal teen self-centeredness, which results in "hero" complexes of varying intensity.

This is the reason why the Japanese stuck 'byou' onto the end of the word, which has the same kanji as the one for disease, lol.

^ I laughed out loud.  Every now and then I find myself thinking that the Japanese have found very healthy and wickedly witty ways of dealing with things like this.

I also loved your comment about people getting addicted to Fantasy/Sci-Fi during the "hero complex" periods.  I can't speak for anyone else, but that was true for me. ; )

(Link above was to an interesting 1993 study which attempted to discredit the idea of "Hercules periods" in adolescents; yet, despite this and other similar studies, every class I took on cognitive development suggested that the invulnerable/self-centered periods Clephas referred to are widespread and real.)

I can personally attest to the "hero complex". When I was younger I was convinced I was an alien living amongst people until the start of an eventual all-out war. I had all kinds of fantasies where I was this unstoppable force and basically saved the planet with my powers alone. I always felt proud because I knew I was better than everyone else around me but no one else was aware. I'm not really sure why I went through this phase myself, maybe it was because of a lack of attention or it was because I wanted to feel special. I guess you could say that I had an actual case of chuunibyou.

Even though I am much older now and I don't believe in silly illusions anymore I still desire what having a hero complex gives you. In a way, playing these types of VN allows me to experience someone else living a fantasy, which would be impossible for me. It's kind of interesting how much I haven't really changed.

I didn't get to say this yesterday but thanks for this thread. These discussions have been very interesting to mull over.

Well, i've never had thoughts like "i am far superior to others, therefore i'll become a hero" but i did have thoughts like "i can't stand this world anymore, even if i am nothing more than a regular kid i won't allow this to go on" i even had a few plans to change the world.

I was at my full chuu2 back then and my nickname comes from that phase of my life, i probably entered that phase around the time i watched Code Geass and it ended after some RL events.

Oh this is pretty interesting! I never really thought about it but I'm also a fan of this newly discovered genre on my part. Code Geass (for example) always gave me this strange feeling like Lelouch could eaisly be the kid in the hallway that spoke pretentiously and commented in how he was above the world in real life... and it was/is fun to see in a twisted kind of way how they get a wake up call.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this genre a lot, but I also have slightly mixed feelings towards it as well. On the one hand it's very interesting and a lot of Chunni stories are very fun to experience and do tackle deep themes, but on the other hand I feel in their over the top nature they are also lacking something. For example, Code Geass and Death Note were great fun for me, and I would rate Code Geass an 8, and Death Note a 8.5 - 9. However, stories that feel eerily realistic, and that can address dark themes through metaphor and allegory I value a bit more. Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Kaiji, and Berserk I would rate in the 9.5 - 10. I am using anime examples as I'm not as well read in VNs since I don't know Japanese.

Also me rating Code Geass an 8 is not bad, I'm a hard grader when it comes to fiction. An 8 for a lot of other people can easily rank a 5 for me. What I'm trying to say is that Chunni stories are good and I like them, but I think they also have their limits.

I think this is an extremely weird definition of chuuni. Are you really saying that Shin Koihime Musou, Inganock and Grisaia are all under the same genre? The only prerequesits seem to be 'be in a fantasy/psuedo-realistic setting' and 'have fight scenes'  which is way too broad.

Chu2 elements and pieces in a story don't automatically turn the whole work Chu2.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

should update this list. bumping to the top of the message board for those with chuunibyou such as myself.

Edit: well you could put in two ikusa megami games in the translated section
(tenbin la dea, ikusa megami zero) as they're being worked on right now, both are only partials or machine translated, though monkey poop is better than machine translations, so i'd leave out la dea for now.)

Problem is, there is nothing to update it with that is worth mentioning... I'd almost say the Baldr games I played recently, but they don't quite fit...

Edit:  New chuuni games generally only get released by a list of about seven different companies, with others occasionally making contributions.  Nitroplus (though they haven't made anything decent in this genre since Muramasa), Light, Akatsuki Works, 3rdEye (though their games are pretty hit and miss), Propeller (though their last two games sucked), Rosebleu (for Tiny Dungeon), and Eushully (for Ikusa Megami).  Basically, these you can expect to produce games in this genre on occasion... but most others are just random entries by random companies that are usually mediocre.

• 8 months later...

soo, bloody rondo is out of the question? it sounds kinda cheesy plotwise but Im getting drawn to the "proactive protagonist" tag (pussy protag IN MY VNS!? hell naw).

Gensou no idea looks most appealing to me actually, because of the multiple protag thing (mostly because I havent seen it a lot in other VNs).

Well this is a chunni thread after all so I actually am searching for kinda chuuni heavy stuff :P

Bloody Rondo's problem is that the main heroine is a total idiot/airhead of a True Ancestor vampire... Her route is the most complete, but she herself is a bit disappointing.  The werewolf girl's is good for kicks (weird relationship) and some of the others are decent, but Bloody Rondo is just one of those cases of a VN where a heroine feels out of place.

You should still play Bloody Rondo before Gensou no Idea... because

Luna and the protagonist's descendents play a central role in the plot, though they aren't protagonists or heroines.