In Memory of Aaeru (2013-2023)

REtransInternational

Ten years ago - Tuesday September 17, 2013 -  our Founding Mother, Aaeru, made her last post on Twitter, and was never heard from again.

No one seems to really know what happened to her, and in fact whether she is even still alive, but let's not forget the one who started it all.

Aaeru, if you're still lurking out there and come across this post: thank you for everything.

aaeru-poster2.jpg

I suppose now's as good a time as any to share an article/blog post I did on Aaeru for a completely different site and thus a totally different audience. I was afraid the article might have been viewed as controversial here since it seems like modern Fuwanovel really likes to pretend it never was a piracy site, and my sympathies with Aaeru and her vision perhaps leak a bit strongly. So I was hesitant to share it here for a while. But at least for me personally, Aaeru left a weirdly significant impact on me despite never really talking to her, so I'll leave this here for anyone curious:

A story from my hometown on the net: Aaeru, the piracy advocate who vanished

13 hours ago, Zalor said:

I suppose now's as good a time as any to share an article/blog post I did on Aaeru for a completely different site and thus a totally different audience. I was afraid the article might have been viewed as controversial here since it seems like modern Fuwanovel really likes to pretend it never was a piracy site, and my sympathies with Aaeru and her vision perhaps leak a bit strongly. So I was hesitant to share it here for a while. But at least for me personally, Aaeru left a weirdly significant impact on me despite never really talking to her, so I'll leave this here for anyone curious:

A story from my hometown on the net: Aaeru, the piracy advocate who vanished

Many thanks for providing the links to the article about the infamous Aaeru. Such a interesting read!

Hmm all I can about piracy that its a two-edge sword, most people think of piracy as simple file sharing efforts to distribute copies of a cracked software/video game/visual novel onto the masses over the internet. while there some truth to it no denying that. There's another reason why piracy exist as a necessary evil, "Digital Preservation"

Most physical copies of softwares and video games is going to deteriorate overtime like the CD/DVD we had and most companies are not going to support legacy products, abandoning them after their lifespan. The current games are getting shitty and mostly are just cash grab, giving you the urge to seek the good old games from ages past wherein you own the stuffs that you buy instead of renting them...

In addition, Piracy is often a very viable option or perhaps the only sensible choice for people living in  Third-World Countries wherein the Internet/broadband Services are somehow overpriced. People are barely getting enough to put food on the table, and their only solace out of their miserable existence is to play games or read visual novels/eroges with their second-hand PC desktops they got from the scrapyards to sooth the burden of existence...