[Submission] (Front Site) Chatbox

Kaguya

So, here's another idea that I had. The forum is full of incredibly nice members, and we can see it clearly on the threads. However, I think that while we all feel that we're part  of the community, the amount of talking that can be done by threads is limited. We sometimes see topics trailing off and changing completely because members are talking to each other, which by itself, shouldn't be anything wrong.

There is IRC and TS, but for those you need to download the program. Also, IRC is nightmare to some people (it took me over 3 weeks to solve all of my problems with it because Brazil :P) and overall, I don't think they're very user friendly.

The fuwanovel community is undoubtedly awesome, but I think we'd be able to have a closer sense of union if we had somewhere to talk here on the forums. That's why I decided to suggest this; Why not make a chatbox? Personally, I think it'd make the fuwanovel community even better~

So, here's another idea that I had. The forum is full of incredibly nice members, and we can see it clearly on the threads. However, I think that while we all feel that we're part  of the community, the amount of talking that can be done by threads is limited. We sometimes see topics trailing off and changing completely because members are talking to each other, which by itself, shouldn't be anything wrong.

There is IRC and TS, but for those you need to download the program. Also, IRC is nightmare to some people (it took me over 3 weeks to solve all of my problems with it because Brazil :P) and overall, I don't think they're very user friendly.

The fuwanovel community is undoubtedly awesome, but I think we'd be able to have a closer sense of union if we had somewhere to talk here on the forums. That's why I decided to suggest this; Why not make a chatbox? Personally, I think it'd make the fuwanovel community even better~

I'm in full agreement with this motion.  In all my experience with role palys, some sites were keen on restricting their chatting to Skype--and even sometimes IRC--and I can tell you: they were never as active as sites that had open chat-boxes on-site.  I recommend placing one from CBox‎ on the main fuwanovel page, as well as on the forum--it will act as one single box between the two locations.  

I've heard an argument that this would result in the death of our IRC: I disagree.  

Like Yukiru said, some people prefer the more private atmosphere in an IRC chat, and will remain there.

All a new chat-box will do is encourage new members to talk with us and, therefore, become hooked on the community and what we're all about--it's almost 100% more likely to succeed than without one.

A chat box will do nothing more than allow for more interactivity, especially for new members, and will further the motion that Fuwanovel is all about Making Visual Novels Popular in the West.

My opinion: Chat/Shoutboxes are a relic of the past, what we need would be to have Aaeru's twitter active again, information is just spread out like that nowadays.

Hmm... That's true, but I don't think the main point of having a chatbox would be to spread information, anyway. More like a way of interacting with the members.

I don't really understand batman's and lewycool's ominous feelings about it, but I guess things are okay the way they are. Oh well, I still think it'd be a nice idea, though.

If anything I'd run the IP.Chat we have bundled with the forum software anyway. Still not too much of a fan of it, spreading too thin yada yada.

I kinda hate putting chatboxes on forums, it won't encourage some people to read or participate on lengthy discussions on threads because they'd prefer small talks. :(

I hate to encourage tl;dr system

If they don't want to read lengthy discussions on the first place, I don't think we should force it on them. Also, the chatbox would be there for random member interaction- look at some threads like that "the cutest image you've seen" or even threads like "toaru majutsu no index" and you'll often see members chatting about completely unrelated things (I'm guilty of doing it multiple times, I admit) and that would help to cut the meaningless content from those threads.

Also, quite a  few threads are to solving completely banal issues that could and would be easily solved on a chatbox- like the typical "Read Only" error, the JP locale, etc. + Threads that deal with VN recommendation and such (even if those aren't really bothersome).

Otherwise, I strongly recommend a chit-chat thread on the forums to at least cut down those things. I think it'd help to make the community more united~

If they don't want to read lengthy discussions on the first place, I don't think we should force it on them. Also, the chatbox would be there for random member interaction- look at some threads like that "the cutest image you've seen" or even threads like "toaru majutsu no index" and you'll often see members chatting about completely unrelated things (I'm guilty of doing it multiple times, I admit) and that would help to cut the meaningless content from those threads.

Also, quite a  few threads are to solving completely banal issues that could and would be easily solved on a chatbox- like the typical "Read Only" error, the JP locale, etc. + Threads that deal with VN recommendation and such (even if those aren't really bothersome).

Otherwise, I strongly recommend a chit-chat thread on the forums to at least cut down those things. I think it'd help to make the community more united~

I thought you finished setting up IRC ...also the General Discussion description says "Talk about anything here" . you can make a chit-chat thread there.

Oh..I'm turning senile. But i didn't say I'm against it.... I just...hate it lol :D

however I'd like to request something:

if a shoutbox is added, please let it be hide-able/turned off

also I don't really like the shoutboxes that have random sounds whenever people talk on them (I'd rather listen to my music when I want to hear something, not random bells and whistles from a chat that I'm not sure how often I'd read).

however I'd like to request something:

if a shoutbox is added, please let it be hide-able/turned off

I think it should just be in separated section like the calendar etc so if you want to use it you have to go there.

I also don't want to have shoutbox in the default forum page.

I think it should just be in separated section like the calendar etc so if you want to use it you have to go there.

I also don't want to have shoutbox in the default forum page.

That to me at least, feels like it removes the convenience of the chatbox entirely.  I agree that it should either be able to be hidden, or disable being able to see it entirely in our personal settings.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the idea. I think that it might detract or maybe even inhibit discussion from taking place on the forum.

Well that would be the point, there is lot of random discussion that belongs to chatbox, now it is on forums and it is being indexed for searches and such.

Since Steve already answered Nohman, I'll ask about how the chatbox would be.

First of all, about the location of it. I think  it should be on the forums main page. We have a few empty places, such as the green part below the options "fuwanovel, forums, members, calendar" and there's also that space below the "recent topics". We'd need some new design for that, and it may be a bit too bothersome, I guess.

Second, guest interaction. Would we allow people without an account at the forums to talk to us in the chatbox? By one side, we'll be having contact with potential new members, which would be nice, but that would also facilitate trolling. What do you guys think?

I think a chatbox would be benefic. Besides mining the random discussions that would happen in the forums, it would allow for more interaction between members. I think it would be specially good for newcomers, since it's always easier if there's one or two people that you know already when you start posting, and the chatbox would make it easier for them to grasp how fuwanovel and it's members are, while getting to meet new people~