Voluntary Contributions to Cover Forums License Cost

Tay

Hi everybody,

Maintaining the fourms cost $205, and we're looking to see if community members would be willing to help us cover that cost.  We're poor students, and the $205 has hit us hard.  If any of you are willing to help contribute via paypal, please let me know.

Thanks, and welcome back!

Progress

$173 / $205 (USD)

Hm. I think I can contribute. Can you send me the link?

EDIT: sorry, due to a certain idiot suddenly coming back my budget will be tighter than expected this month and I won't be able to help. If it's open until the 30, when I recieve my pay I should be able to do something, though.

Edited by Kaguya

Bump (even though its stickied, it should help).

I know that it would feel awkward for Tay to bump this himself.

Still not there guys, if anyone else could please help him, because 80$ for a single person is still shitloads of money.

The loli gods will love you for it and you will go to loli heaven :) And its pretty fuwafuwa in there :P And who wouldn't want to be in fuwaheaven with lolis in fuwafuwa animal outfits.

Why didn't you move to something free like phpBB/SMF/etc...? (My preference is for SMF, they're quite good.)

Migration turned out to be uneconomical when the time cost of getting everything back to status quo was considered, and in general this IPB skin was highly liked it seems. In the end both people doing the restoration of fuwaforums preferred IPB to PHPBB, and SMF didn't convert well (for example, all thread titles were missing).

Don't think I can afford to give anymore than I have, hopefully other people can chip in a little bit :)

If I had one complaint, the mobile version is broken for me. Can't login and the "full version" button simply adds # to url :(

Other than that, loving this forum :D

Why didn't you move to something free like phpBB/SMF/etc...? (My preference is for SMF, they're quite good.)

Nayleen and I spent two weekends and the week in-between making the transition to both phpBB and SMF. Neither phpBB nor SMF offers direct conversion from IPB, and our test required a vBulletin intermediate conversion (supplied by Qberty).  A lot of data was lost or corrupted in the move.  Not to mention that after the conversions were done, the overwhelming consensus was that the community didn't like either option. After 120 man-hours of work, Nayleen and I realized it would take another 75-100 to restore lost functionality to either platform, with an unknown amount of bug-fixing and troubleshooting. At that point, time is money, and we'd both sacrificed too much "in real life" to justify taking more time with this project.  Not to mention loss due to the forums being offline.

That's a lot of the story, but truthfully, many more factors went into the decision to return to IPB.  I didn't make the decision lightly, but I feel the overwhelming positive response has justified it.

I sent Tay a PM for the info.

Sent.  Thank you very much!

I'd like to thank everybody who contributed.  Your generosity and friendship mean a lot.  I'm locking this topic -- we're close enough to our funding goal that I'll be able to work the rest out with Nayleen.

Kendjin

Solidbatman

Tay

Nayleen

Nohman

Luch

Steve

THANK YOU!