Bit intimidating

Xell

I'm pretty new to VN's in almost every possible meaning of the word. But, I figured it would be nice learning more about them or finding new ones to really get into. I had always liked games such as JRPG's that had dating-sim or VN styled elements in them, most notably Persona 3 and 4, and Thousand Arms back when I was much younger. Recently though I found a few games on steam that caught my eye, and after playing them I thought I'd like to try out some more games more geared for the genre.

I'm not even certain if games like Persona or Thousand Arms can be said to have "VN style elements" as I am so new to all of this, but I always enjoyed the dialogue trees and interacting with the characters so I had thought that they might be similar. The games that I bought on steam were described as visual novels, Analogue A Hate Story and Hate Plus. Besides that, I've no real experience in the genre. And after seeing some of the more experienced members making introductions, it can feel a bit intimidating making such a clumsy introduction. But I do hope I can keep at least a bit active and meet new people and hopefully find some new games to enjoy.

Welcome to the forums! I actually began like you did; became interested due to VN elements in other games. I think my first one was Katawa Shoujo and Analogue: A Hate Story. If you enjoyed the sci-fi mystery of Analogue, I can't recommend Ever17: The Out of Infinity enough. I hope you enjoy it here!

If you don't mind dumb plot elements and joke-rape, try the Alicesoft games, like Sengoku Rance and Daibanchou.

A lot dislike it, but Sengoku Rance has the best gameplay elements in all of the translated VNs until now (it's arguably a draw with Kamidori Alchemy Meister though)

Well, Welcome~ I hope you have fun here.

If you're looking for VNs without gameplay elements, try Steins Gate. It's one of my favorites~

Ah wow, thanks for all the recommendations, I hope I can at least be a bit more frequent and active. I really do enjoy VNs and I hope to find plenty of new loved titles.

Welcome to the forums! I actually began like you did; became interested due to VN elements in other games. I think my first one was Katawa Shoujo and Analogue: A Hate Story. If you enjoyed the sci-fi mystery of Analogue, I can't recommend Ever17: The Out of Infinity enough. I hope you enjoy it here!

I actually really enjoyed the sci-fi portions of Analogue. Hate Plus left me feeling a bit... lacking? I suppose. I liked the branching paths, but on some of them it made me feel like the player was no longer a part of the story anymore. Like an extra =3 I'll check out Ever17: The Out of Infinity first thing, then follow up with Kaguya's and sanahtlig's recommendations =3

Thanks ^-^ It was just a bit much at first, reading some of the introduction posts I would come across fellows who had titles I have never even heard of, more VN's under their belts and some even volunteering with translation work, where as I only really have Analogue and some games with elements or mechanics like VNs. It just seemed like it would be a bit much but I'm happy to meet everyone so far and learn more =3

Thanks ^-^ It was just a bit much at first, reading some of the introduction posts I would come across fellows who had titles I have never even heard of, more VN's under their belts and some even volunteering with translation work, where as I only really have Analogue and some games with elements or mechanics like VNs. It just seemed like it would be a bit much but I'm happy to meet everyone so far and learn more =3

Glad to hear it, no worries, people in this community comes from all different angles.

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well but everyone seems to be really nice and usually get along. If you want an RPG style VN, then I recommend Kamidori Alchemy Meister. I have actually yet to finish it, I'm more into the story than gameplay elements.

^^ Thanks, I agree most everyone I've met so far as been very polite and a pleasure to talk with.

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well but everyone seems to be really nice and usually get along. If you want an RPG style VN, then I recommend Kamidori Alchemy Meister. I have actually yet to finish it, I'm more into the story than gameplay elements.

I had heard about that one from some searching around, I really enjoyed a game back on the playstation 2 that was about going to an alchemy school. It had some interesting VN quality mixed with RPG game mechanics, though I'm not certain if it's similar gameplay to the one you describe.

^^ Thanks, I agree most everyone I've met so far as been very polite and a pleasure to talk with.

I had heard about that one from some searching around, I really enjoyed a game back on the playstation 2 that was about going to an alchemy school. It had some interesting VN quality mixed with RPG game mechanics, though I'm not certain if it's similar gameplay to the one you describe.

This is a screenshot of the type of gameplay it has.

5.jpg

It is a turn-based game where you control a team while usually following missions or quests. You can make or find new weapons and accessories to give to your party members. They get stronger through an experience point based level system and also by taking on quests given to you by the party member.

This is a screenshot of the type of gameplay it has.

5.jpg

It is a turn-based game where you control a team while usually following missions or quests. You can make or find new weapons and accessories to give to your party members. They get stronger through an experience point based level system and also by taking on quests given to you by the party member.

Ah man, that game looks pretty awesome! I'm definitely putting it on the list of games to try. Looks like the non VN mechanics are turn-based grid rpg or tactics gameplay, I've always loved games like that. Thanks =3 I just finished acquiring Ever 17 to check out, would it be to much trouble to ask where I can get that one too? I'd say it by name, but I'm atrocious at remembering foreign terms.

Yeah, Thousand Arms was so rad. I'm glad I managed buying my copy way back, just wish I remembered where I put it in the tornado wrecked den I call a home. It was the very first game I played that had anything like VN mechanics in it, though minor.

Hello and welcome! Do you have a favorite genre?

Hm, genre, I guess being the fool I am, I just can't help but have a soft spot for the more rom-com types and sci-fi, though I will say I enjoy VN's more when it feels like the protagonist is significant to the story. Much as I enjoyed Analogue and the sequel Hate Plus, it felt like my input as the player diminished with time. Not sure if that counts as a genre though, heh.

Ah man, that game looks pretty awesome! I'm definitely putting it on the list of games to try. Looks like the non VN mechanics are turn-based grid rpg or tactics gameplay, I've always loved games like that. Thanks =3 I just finished acquiring Ever 17 to check out, would it be to much trouble to ask where I can get that one too? I'd say it by name, but I'm atrocious at remembering foreign terms.

You can find Kamidori Alchemy Master right here.

I hope you enjoy Ever17. Its a very fun read.

Since bats recommended Ever17 (it's still my highest voted vn after reading thirty or so!), I'll say that if your computer is powerful enough for DS emulators, 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors is pretty damn good if you like mystery / softish scifi.

I find it odd and somewhat disturbing that you're nudging a newcomer towards piracy when he expressed no such inclinations to begin with. Promoting visual novels != promoting free distribution of commercial works.

For the uninitiated, Fuwanovel is a repository for English fan-translated VNs of Japanese origin. As games like Kamidori Alchemy Meister (screenshot posted above) have not been officially released in English, the powers that be have decided that distributing these games illegally causes more good than harm (also getting ahold of Japanese copies of such games can be problematic). If you have the means, support the market by purchasing games that have been localized like 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors. If you're interested in importing fan-translated titles, J-List has a fairly wide selection, and fan translation patches can be located using VNDB.

^Well, I never said he couldn't buy the cartridge and ignore the ds system itself. Personally I've been looking for it in various random stores around europe, but seems like nobody carries it (not really unexpected). I guess I could search online...

And I found playing it on emu better due to being able to use magnification filters etc.

While I don't pretend to understand the complexities of EU shipping and import taxes, Amazon.uk sells 999 9 hours. 9 persons. 9 doors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aksys-Games-NDS-13-Hours-Persons/dp/B003VR5PPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377707357&sr=8-1&keywords=999+9+hours.+9+persons.+9+doors

It seems pretty reasonably priced...before shipping and taxes at least. The same item is 50% more on Amazon.de (Germany).

I have yet to actually open my copy of Virtue's Last Reward just because it said it was a sequel to 999, haven't seen it though at my local game stores yet =3 thanks for the recommendation! Have to admit, I didn't think I'd get this kind of attention from my introduction post.