Bit intimidating

Xell

Opps sorry that am late but never the less, welcome to fuwanovel !!

Not a problem at all, great to be here ^^

On the topic of being new, saw a thread topic concerning what a visual novel is, and what it isn't. I fear I may have misunderstood the spirit of VN's in the very beginning, since I've seen posts that were along the lines that games like Persona or Thousand Arms didn't have VN mechanics so much as dating sim. I'm still a bit hazy on the whole topic myself, though I'm enjoying Ever 17 so far. Would prefer a more first person narrative, but I still enjoy it.

Visual novel describes a medium for telling a story. A dating sim has gameplay mechanics that are often built on top of a visual novel style presentation.

OELVNs (made by English speakers) tend to be more gameplay-oriented, while Japanese-made VNs are often much more professional with higher production values and greater length. Visual novels have varying levels of gameplay. Some play like choose-your-own-adventure books, with many choices and highly branching plotlines (e.g., School Days). Most have very limited branching confined to distinct routes, usually corresponding to a heroine. Some have no branches at all and are completely linear (i.e., sound novels).

You might want to stick to your core interests (e.g., gameplay-oriented VNs) for now and expand from there. Yumina the Ethereal (localized), Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Aselia the Eternal (localized), Sengoku Rance, and Duel Savior should be easy to get into for fans of dialogue-heavy RPGs. As for dating sims, I'd suggest School Days as the closest match I'd recommend in English (there's also older titles that I wouldn't recommend to a new player, and OELVNs which aren't my interest).

Visual novel describes a medium for telling a story. A dating sim has gameplay mechanics that are often built on top of a visual novel style presentation.

OELVNs (made by English speakers) tend to be more gameplay-oriented, while Japanese-made VNs are often much more professional with higher production values and greater length. Visual novels have varying levels of gameplay. Some play like choose-your-own-adventure books, with many choices and highly branching plotlines (e.g., School Days). Most have very limited branching confined to distinct routes, usually corresponding to a heroine. Some have no branches at all and are completely linear (i.e., sound novels).

You might want to stick to your core interests (e.g., gameplay-oriented VNs) for now and expand from there. Yumina the Ethereal (localized), Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Aselia the Eternal (localized), Sengoku Rance, and Duel Savior should be easy to get into for fans of dialogue-heavy RPGs. As for dating sims, I'd suggest School Days as the closest match I'd recommend in English (there's also older titles that I wouldn't recommend to a new player, and OELVNs which aren't my interest).

Ah thanks! ^^ I'm just glad to have so many recommendations to work with so early on. Getting into VN's has been a much easier and welcoming path than I'd thought it might be.