Steam Halloween Sale '16

Funyarinpa

Steam is having a Halloween sale!

Standouts:

System Shock 1-2 (-75%)

Sunless Sea (-66%)

Dead Space 1 & 2 (-75%)

Bioshocks (all of them -50%, not the remasters)

INSIDE (-15%)

Also, a VN but The House In Fata Morgana is a fucking masterpiece and it's 20% off and you HAVE to try it out. It's a quite recent release so you won't get another deal for months probably 

I really want LISA, Capsule and Sunless Sea, dammit

This may sound like an odd question, but how much horror is in the House in Fata Morgana? I'm interested cause everyone's saying it's really good, but I'm super not good with horror (I'm not into it, but it also wrecks me for a while afterwards orz - to give an idea, the second arc of Higruashi in the anime kept me up a few nights afterwards, and the 6th arc of Umineko went a little far for me too. I am a weakling.). I'll have to look into if other games are interesting or not...

1 minute ago, Lambda said:

This may sound like an odd question, but how much horror is in the House in Fata Morgana? I'm interested cause everyone's saying it's really good, but I'm super not good with horror (I'm not into it, but it also wrecks me for a while afterwards orz). I'll have to look into if other games are interesting or not...

In addition to this good fellow's question, how sad and or depressing is it?

I'm about 99% sure I won't like it, but I feel it is necessary to cover all my bases when a VN is universally chanted as the second coming of Christ.

3 minutes ago, Lambda said:

This may sound like an odd question, but how much horror is in the House in Fata Morgana? I'm interested cause everyone's saying it's really good, but I'm super not good with horror (I'm not into it, but it also wrecks me for a while afterwards orz). I'll have to look into if other games are interesting or not...

1 minute ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'm about 99% sure I won't like it, but I feel it is necessary to cover all my bases when a VN is universally chanted as the second coming of Christ.

It's really Gothic and tonally feels more like a cross between Shakespeare and Poe than anything. It's not really scary at all, it just has a really somber tone and can be very depressing, which is only amplified by the (gorgeous) music and thick atmosphere. It's not necessarily depressing in the same way a Key work would be, it feels more utsuge and when/if it pulls tears it isn't necessarily because it was trying/being manipulative so much as what's happening is sort of just tragic and miserable, haha.

Just now, akaritan said:

It's really Gothic and tonally feels more like a cross between Shakespeare and Poe than anything. It's not really scary at all, it just has a really somber tone and can be very depressing, which is only amplified by the (gorgeous) music and thick atmosphere. It's not necessarily depressing in the same way a Key work would be, it feels more utsuge and when/if it pulls tears it isn't necessarily because it was trying/being manipulative so much as what's happening is sort of just tragic and miserable, haha.

Okay, so reading it is closer to Frankenstein or Dracula? Cause I could deal with those. And I can take depressing stories so long as I'm pulled in and it's not overflowing with angst. Thanks!

Can we please not turn this into yet another opportunity to scream 'Buy Fata Morgana' at people? At this point I’m never going to play the VN because the fans are annoying the bejeezus out of me.

Some noteable games with discounts:

Noticeable games: Total War: Rome 2 – 75% off
Grand Theft Auto 5 – 40% off
XCOM 2 – 45% off
Euro Truck simulator 2 – 66% off
Pillars of Eternity – 60% off
The Banner Saga – 70% off
The Banner Saga 2 – 25% off
The Walking Dead: Michonne – 75% off
Crusader Kings 2 – 75% off

The Wolf Among Us – 75% off
Europa Universalis 4 – 75% off
Warhammer Dawn of War 2 master/grandmaster collection – 75% off
Witcher 2 – 85% off
The Witcher Enhanced – 85% off
Sonicomi – 20% off
Flowers – 15% off
Fault Milestone One – 75% off
Hatoful Boyfriend – 75% off
TokyoBabel – 45% off
Cinders – 66% off

Fata Morgana is not scary, if that is what you are wanting to know. Horror =/= scares.

It is pretty depressing, however, since most of the characters' stories begin in sad and end in suffering. But I think the way the game deals with everything makes everything worth it by the end.

8 hours ago, Lambda said:

This may sound like an odd question, but how much horror is in the House in Fata Morgana? I'm interested cause everyone's saying it's really good, but I'm super not good with horror (I'm not into it, but it also wrecks me for a while afterwards orz - to give an idea, the second arc of Higruashi in the anime kept me up a few nights afterwards, and the 6th arc of Umineko went a little far for me too. I am a weakling.). I'll have to look into if other games are interesting or not...

There is very little gross sort of horror, or "AAAA SPOOKY CREATURE" sort of horror. But the things humans do to each other are traumatic, incredibly cruel, and as such it's quite likely to keep you up at night if your sensitivity to horror goes beyond blood and gravely misplaced limbs.

8 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Its overall tone is quite possibly the most somber and sad in any localized or translated VN. It has an incredibly oppressive atmosphere at times, and seeing the gravity of its subject matter, Fata Morgana not going overboard and sounding comical or angsty throughout is a miracle (or yet another indicator that THIFM is a masterpiece :P ).

7 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Can we please not turn this into yet another opportunity to scream 'Buy Fata Morgana' at people? At this point I’m never going to play the VN because the fans are annoying the bejeezus out of me.

Well, chaps, when he's right, he's right. So please PM me if you have any further questions about Fata Morgana.

Fata Morgana is good, but the ammount of lambient fanboyism around it makes me cringe :holo:

That said, 7 Days to Die is on sale, too. Grab it, it's the best sandbox, team-oriented survival horror game out on the market atm... aside from The Long Dark, but 7dtd already feels far more finished than TLD ever was.

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

I've basically sat this sale out. The two games I really want are God Eater 2 and Assassins Creed 2. $25 and $20 (Ass 2 isnt on sale) so yeah, not much for me this time. 

Think from that perspective - at least you've saved yourself some money.

No games, no whining :makina:

3 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

I've picked up Crusader Kings 2

If you can, get some of the DLC. Some good ones include; Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Way of Life, and Reapers Due. Avoid Conclave and Sunset Invasion. Rajas of India and Horse Lords are only if you want to play Nomadic or in India. If you want earlier start dates, Charlemagne and the Old Gods both move the start date back to pre- 1066 (700's and 800's respectively).  

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

If you can, get some of the DLC. Some good ones include; Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Way of Life, and Reapers Due. Avoid Conclave and Sunset Invasion. Rajas of India and Horse Lords are only if you want to play Nomadic or in India. If you want earlier start dates, Charlemagne and the Old Gods both move the start date back to pre- 1066 (700's and 800's respectively).  

I'm really tempted, but atm I have no idea if I'll enjoy the game. If I become a fan, I'm gonna grab all the (meaningful) DLC I can :3

Heh loaded up the game, accidentally clicked 'Spanish' for language, then watched as it proceeded to crash over and over again on startup anyway (might have something to do with text sizes.) Will have to fiddle with things to stop it from crashing, then find out how to get it back into English, lol.

I'll save that for another day, I've got no energy tonight.