Hello, I'm looking for Visual Novels that features a stoic and emotionless male main protagonist.

TrueHistoria

Hello again, and I would like to ask all of you for help.

As the title says: I'm looking for Visual Novels that features a stoic and emotionless male main protagonist, such as the following:

Kazami Yūji - The Grisaia Trilogy (The Fruit of Grisaia, The Labyrinth of Grisaia and The Eden of Grisaia)

Tendõ Setsuna - Tokyo Babel

Kaison Voltaire - Crimson Rafflesia

Caim Astraea - Eustia of the Tarnished Wings (Aiyoku no Eustia)

Asaba Yuma - SakuSaku (Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki)

Gii - Inganock of the Brightest Flame - What a Beautiful People (Seiken no Inganock)

Junker - Planetarian - The Reverie of a Little Planet (Planetarian - Chiisana Hoshi no Yume)

Alvonse Brin - Sage Fusion/Sage Fusion 2

Please don't recommend me a VN which has a protagonist who's emotional, always freaking out or aroused like these:

Comyu - Black Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom (Comyu - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku)

Dracu-riot

Everlasting Summer (Beskonechnoe Leto)

Euphoria

Fate/Extra

G-Senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String

Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning - What a Shinning Braves (Ourai no Gahkthun)

Kara no Shoujo/Kara no Shoujo - The Second Episode

Katawa Shoujo

Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days

Saya no Uta - The Song of Saya

Sepia Tears

Stellaren Series

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Wanko to Kurasou

Lastly, I have a VNDB list so please do not recommend the VNs I already know.

https://vndb.org/u115930/list

Recommendations that fits my preferences are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

19 minutes ago, TrueHistoria said:

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days

Eh, what?! Natsuhiko was a real crybaby, he was the complete opposite of stoic and emotionless. Or did you pick it because of Watase? Though I consider Watase just a minor protagonist.

Anyway, you already played the most prominent examples with Grisaia and AKB2 stuff. But I'd still add Key's Clannad and Kanon even if it's more nakige that story VN. I also think the protagonist of Utawarerumono was quite decent. There's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

6 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Eh, what?! Natsuhiko was a real crybaby, he was the complete opposite of stoic and emotionless. Or did you pick it because of Watase? Though I consider Watase just a minor protagonist.

Anyway, you already played the most prominent examples with Grisaia and AKB2 stuff. But I'd still add Key's Clannad and Kanon even if it's more nakige that story VN. I also think the protagonist of Utawarerumono was quite decent. There's probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

You're right. That's why I included Root Double along with my "do not recommend list" on my post. Sorry for my bad English.

I watched the anime Clannad some time ago and it seems like he isn't that stoic and emotionless at all. But in his characteristics in VNDB, the stoic personality is included so I'll put it into my "Plan to Read List." Is there a big difference between the anime and the VN?

Looks like Kanon has the opposite of my criteria: Hot-blooded, Pervert, et cetera.

And in Utawarerumono there's no "Stoic" in the protagonist's personality as I looked it on VNDB.

8 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

https://vndb.org/v13628

My third all-time favorite, actually (considered kusoge in some circles though lol). Just remember to get the patch (3.01).

The protag is definitely not emotionless, but you never see him laughing.

Click on my signature to go to the main site which has some amazing BGM playing in the background.

Thanks for this, I looked at it and it seems like it wasn't translated yet.

Hope there are more recommendations to come.

4 minutes ago, TrueHistoria said:

I watched the anime Clannad some time ago and it seems like he isn't that stoic and emotionless at all. But in his characteristics in VNDB, the stoic personality is included so I'll put it into my "Plan to Read List." Is there a big difference between the anime and the VN?

And in Utawarerumono there's no "Stoic" in the protagonist's personality as I looked it on VNDB.

The protag of Clannad is the same in the VN. As for the Utawarerumono protag, I suppose you could say he is stoic.

1 hour ago, TrueHistoria said:

You're right. That's why I included Root Double along with my "do not recommend list" on my post. Sorry for my bad English.

Oops, sorry I missed the splitting of the lists. But sure, if you're considering protags from AkabeiSoft2 or IG as 'emotional' and 'always freaking out' then you've certainly high standards.

Grisaia's protag is probably the only one I'd consider pretty much emotionless. Don't think any of the heroines had a higher meaning for him than a toaster.

Not sure if I'd even want to read something with an emotionless protagonist, although I liked the one from Tokyo Babel. But that's just personal opinion.

Swan Song for sure. The POV switches a fair amount but the main protagonist fits this perfectly.

eden* also features a stoic protagonist, and is a well respected, short-ish single heroine romance story.

As much as I hate the protagonist in Wanko to Kurasou, he fits the bill here. edit: Crap, you already played this one. Not only that, it's on your list of protagonists that DON'T meet your criteria? Dude is cold as fuck. 

1 hour ago, MarcoCorvus21 said:

Cross Channel

Rewrite

Not really sure about Rewrite, though :v 

Uhh absolutely not either of these, lol. One of the biggest aspects of Cross Channel is how the protagonist is completely unable to control his emotions and impulses.

6 hours ago, MarcoCorvus21 said:

Cross Channel

Isn't that a bit of a spoiler? I know his listing on VNDB mentions it briefly, but I've never really played Cross Channel, so I wouldn't know.

Also, it's a bit of an issue because Taichi at least pretends to have emotions at the beginning of the game, even if he's mostly just screwing with people.

I'm going to be blunt... you don't want an emotionless protagonist, despite what you asked.  The second you named Eustia... I rofled.  Cain is as emo as they come.  The only ones that fit your stated profile in the ones you named to any significant extent are Yuuji and Setsuna.

Sora from Devils Devel Concept... well, in the case of the softer emotions.  He doesn't have most of them, literally.

Jingai Makyou (this guy is practically a robot)

I honestly don't know where you get off on saying Wanko to Kurasou's protagonist has emotions...lol

One of Sorcery Jokers' protagonists (the adult one) fits your bill

Same goes for one of the protagonists of Gensou no Idea (the redhead)

To some extent, the protagonist from Harumade, Kururu.  He falls in love easily but a large part of his emotional range is numb to nonexistent.

Abyss Homicide Club's protagonist has a very limited range of emotional expression and a pretty large gap in his moral compass, lol.

Akatsuki no Goei series.  It might not seem like it, but Kaito's range of emotional expression tends to be fairly limited outside of what he wants at a given moment... He is quite capable of heartlessly abandoning friends to save his lover and feeling no guilt whatsoever about it, for instance.

Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake.  Other than despair, this guy pretty much has no real emotions left by the beginning of the story, lol.

Hotel (by Akatsuki Works Black).  The protagonist of this one is entirely devoid of emotions, save for an attachment to his routine

Cross Channel? The protagonist is a frickin' lunatic on the fringe of social norms who feels way too much, hence the flow of the story. He's the complete opposite of stoic.

Come to think of it, I haven't read too many VNs that have strictly stoic protagonists. Likely because stoic characters usually make for better foils than leads.

18 hours ago, MarcoCorvus21 said:

Cross Channel

Narcissu

Shinigami no kiss

Rewrite

Not really sure about Rewrite, though :v 

Sorry for the late reply people.

Looks like the VNDB characteristics of the protag of Cross Channel has the majority of the opposite of my criteria.

As for Narcissu, I haven't got enough info of it so I'll look into it some other day.

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji seems enough for me as I learnt the description.

Thanks for these!

For Rewrite, I'm watching the anime a while ago and it seems like he doesn't meet my reqs.. One other reason is that was recommended for me before, I looked it in VNDB and seems like really he doesn't.

16 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Oops, sorry I missed the splitting of the lists. But sure, if you're considering protags from AkabeiSoft2 or IG as 'emotional' and 'always freaking out' then you've certainly high standards.

Grisaia's protag is probably the only one I'd consider pretty much emotionless. Don't think any of the heroines had a higher meaning for him than a toaster.

Not sure if I'd even want to read something with an emotionless protagonist, although I liked the one from Tokyo Babel. But that's just personal opinion.

The Grisaia Trilogy's protag is one of the unique. That series was so damn good because of him.

Tokyo Babel is great too.

16 hours ago, Decay said:

Swan Song for sure. The POV switches a fair amount but the main protagonist fits this perfectly.

eden* also features a stoic protagonist, and is a well respected, short-ish single heroine romance story.

As much as I hate the protagonist in Wanko to Kurasou, he fits the bill here. edit: Crap, you already played this one. Not only that, it's on your list of protagonists that DON'T meet your criteria? Dude is cold as fuck. 

Uhh absolutely not either of these, lol. One of the biggest aspects of Cross Channel is how the protagonist is completely unable to control his emotions and impulses.

Swan Song has too many protags.

As for *eden, I'll put it into my "Plan to Read List." Thanks.

I was disappointed in one of his dialogues in Wanko to Kurasou like this: "Now it's my fault?!!"

I don't really mind spoilers.

16 hours ago, Funnerific said:

That would be Hatsuyuki Sakura's protag. Yuuji wasn't that bad, at least in Kajitsu.

Kawano Hatsuyuki's character description in VNDB is enough. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Shota_Victory said:

Isn't that a bit of a spoiler? I know his listing on VNDB mentions it briefly, but I've never really played Cross Channel, so I wouldn't know.

Also, it's a bit of an issue because Taichi at least pretends to have emotions at the beginning of the game, even if he's mostly just screwing with people.

I don't mind spoilers, seems like one more letdown of Cross Channel. Thanks for the info.

9 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

The Ikusa Megami series protagonist Celica would probably fit the bill, as would the protagonist of Amatsukaze.

I didn't get plenty of info regarding those two (2) VNs so I'll look more into them later. Thanks anyways.

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

I'm going to be blunt... you don't want an emotionless protagonist, despite what you asked.  The second you named Eustia... I rofled.  Cain is as emo as they come.  The only ones that fit your stated profile in the ones you named to any significant extent are Yuuji and Setsuna.

Sora from Devils Devel Concept... well, in the case of the softer emotions.  He doesn't have most of them, literally.

Jingai Makyou (this guy is practically a robot)

I honestly don't know where you get off on saying Wanko to Kurasou's protagonist has emotions...lol

One of Sorcery Jokers' protagonists (the adult one) fits your bill

Same goes for one of the protagonists of Gensou no Idea (the redhead)

To some extent, the protagonist from Harumade, Kururu.  He falls in love easily but a large part of his emotional range is numb to nonexistent.

Abyss Homicide Club's protagonist has a very limited range of emotional expression and a pretty large gap in his moral compass, lol.

Akatsuki no Goei series.  It might not seem like it, but Kaito's range of emotional expression tends to be fairly limited outside of what he wants at a given moment... He is quite capable of heartlessly abandoning friends to save his lover and feeling no guilt whatsoever about it, for instance.

Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake.  Other than despair, this guy pretty much has no real emotions left by the beginning of the story, lol.

Hotel (by Akatsuki Works Black).  The protagonist of this one is entirely devoid of emotions, save for an attachment to his routine

Caim Astraea's impression for me is not emotional. At least he's not a pig who freaks out or aroused while seeing Tia and Eris' stark-naked bodies and especially in dire situations. 

You're wrong about me not wanting for an emotionless protag. Since I can only read Eustia until the end of Fionne's route, can you give me some proof of Caim being so emotional? I don't really mind spoilers, spoilers are fìne with me.

Devils Devel Concept's decription of the protag seems enough for me.

For Jingai Makyou and Homicide Club, I'll look more into them. VNDB's hasn't enough.

One of his dialogues in Wanko to Kurasou got me disappointed.

Sorcery Joker and Harumade Kururu seems not enough and has the majority of the opposite.

There, Stoic Tag in one of the protagonist of Gensou no Idea - Oratorio Phantasm Historia and the protagonist of Hotel.

As For Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake, I don't like Asexual protags.

Wow, thanks for these.

4 hours ago, Kabu said:

It's been a while since I've seen the anime and haven't yet gotten to the VN so I may be wrong but I seem to remember Yukito from Air being fairly stoic with a limited emotional range.

Air's protag seems goofy.

2 hours ago, Valmore said:

Cross Channel? The protagonist is a frickin' lunatic on the fringe of social norms who feels way too much, hence the flow of the story. He's the complete opposite of stoic.

Come to think of it, I haven't read too many VNs that have strictly stoic protagonists. Likely because stoic characters usually make for better foils than leads.

Another letdown for Cross Channel. Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

You can try Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer. Short one man vs. the world revenge story.

Eden*'s good too.

Kikokugai seems enough and another rec for *eden, eh?

Thanks for these.

Seems like some of the VNs are untranslated and in progress of translation.

For all of these recommendations, again I will say thank you.

I will accept more recommendations in the future.

Sorry for my bad English though.

57 minutes ago, TrueHistoria said:

Caim Astraea's impression for me is not emotional. At least he's not a pig who freaks out or aroused while seeing Tia and Eris' stark-naked bodies and especially in dire situations. 

You're wrong about me not wanting for an emotionless protag. Since I can only read Eustia until the end of Fionne's route, can you give me some proof of Caim being so emotional? I don't really mind spoilers, spoilers are fìne with me.

Caim's emo-ness gets shown the most in the true/Eustia path, but it peeks through the cracks of the other paths as well.  While he is stoic, as long as certain buttons aren't touched/he isn't feeling helpless he is fine, but once he starts feeling helpless or at loose ends he kind of falls apart.

Edit: To  be specific, Caim gets extremely emo when he discovers what is going on behind closed doors during Eustia's path (incidentally, the revelations in this path are the reason why I hate the game, despite liking the other heroines... they render all the other paths inconsistent/paradoxical).

24 minutes ago, Clephas said:
  Hide contents

Caim's emo-ness gets shown the most in the true/Eustia path, but it peeks through the cracks of the other paths as well.  While he is stoic, as long as certain buttons aren't touched/he isn't feeling helpless he is fine, but once he starts feeling helpless or at loose ends he kind of falls apart.

Edit: To  be specific, Caim gets extremely emo when he discovers what is going on behind closed doors during Eustia's path (incidentally, the revelations in this path are the reason why I hate the game, despite liking the other heroines... they render all the other paths inconsistent/paradoxical).

I see.

1 hour ago, Funnerific said:

You're putting too much faith in VNDB. There's plenty of missing or even incorrect traits, especially on untranslated titles. Remember that the editing is done by people like you and me, not someone specially appointed for it.

Okay, duly noted. I'll do a more thorough research about these recommendations.

Lookin' forward for more recommendations to come soon.

I think I have another one.

Yuuki Yamato from Cho Dengeki Stryker should fit the bill. He's very similar to Sousuke Sagara (aka Sergeant Serious) from Full Metal Panic, so if you've seen that anime you should have a good impression of what to expect of him.

I can't even believe I missed that one since it's a pretty obvious choice. He has Donkan 3.0 tag on VNDB which also should be a good search term for that kind of protagonist.

BTW, why does Grisaia doesn't have a Donkan tag?! I mean, it can't get more Donkan than Yuuji. :blink:

12 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I think I have another one.

Yuuki Yamato from Cho Dengeki Stryker should fit the bill. He's very similar to Sousuke Sagara (aka Sergeant Serious) from Full Metal Panic, so if you've seen that anime you should have a good impression of what to expect of him.

I can't even believe I missed that one since it's a pretty obvious choice. He has Donkan 3.0 tag on VNDB which also should be a good search term for that kind of protagonist.

BTW, why does Grisaia doesn't have a Donkan tag?! I mean, it can't get more Donkan than Yuuji. :blink:

Looks cheerful. Thanks anyways.