Frontwing hosts Reddit AMA, answers questions from fans

sanahtlig

Not too much of interest was revealed IMO, and sometimes that was the fault of the questions and sometimes the answers were vague and didn't actually reveal anything. I do note /VNTS/ was going berserk with anti-Sekai and anti-Herkz cheering. Watching the reactions was almost of more interest than reading the actual answers supplied. 

7 minutes ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

I guess Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori isn't entirely unexpected, but it's good to hear that it is planned. So together with Island they have to VNs that I am interested in planned. But I guess it will take some time, since they haven't even started on Island.

you forgot yuki koi melt which they stated is going to be worked on before, or after island. + the stuff about other companies having inquired about them co-doing some of the former´s titles, with more to be revealed somehow soon-ish. still the 3man tl-squad is pretty likely to burn out mentally not so far off in the future, if not re-supplied with fresh/additional human ressources :/

18 minutes ago, XReaper said:

still the 3man tl-squad is pretty likely to burn out mentally not so far off in the future, if not re-supplied with fresh/additional human ressources :/

almost thought the same coming to all of the titles they plan on doing. sure frontwing stated they´re looking into letting others do some of them, but this still makes island, hatsumirai, yukikoimelt, coroblo 2-3 (possibly more) & the to be announced project(s) incl. a possible sharin localisation. wonder how the three must feel in sight of that mountain of work

24 minutes ago, XReaper said:

you forgot yuki koi melt which they stated is going to be worked on before, or after island. + the stuff about other companies having inquired about them co-doing some of the former´s titles, with more to be revealed somehow soon-ish. still the 3man tl-squad is pretty likely to burn out mentally not so far off in the future, if not re-supplied with fresh/additional human ressources :/

Well they said Yuki Koi Melt is in progress but got pushed back because of "newer titles" take priority. Hatsumira is a newer title, but their schedule right now is just a guessing game, until they commit to anything. But I agree concerning their current 3 man TL team. It will take quite some time, especially since they want to translate games for other companies. But their comments regarding Island and Conjueror indicate that they at least considering hiring more people. But I would guess it will still take some time before we see those VNs after Island if that is aimed for a "mid-to-late 2017” release.

3 hours ago, Rooke said:

Not too much of interest was revealed IMO, and sometimes that was the fault of the questions and sometimes the answers were vague and didn't actually reveal anything. I do note /VNTS/ was going berserk with anti-Sekai and anti-Herkz cheering. Watching the reactions was almost of more interest than reading the actual answers supplied. 

I found this response interesting:

Personally, we're just as pleased with the reaction to our 18+ works as with that to the all ages versions, and the games we develop will continue to be made with the Japanese market in mind as well, so it seems likely that the balance between 18+ and all ages works shouldn't see too much of a significant change. That said, the amount of all ages releases alongside 18+ versions is certainly increasing (mainly due to Steam), and will probably keep doing up.

I think he's ignoring the elephant in the room: that if games are made with a Steam release in mind, that this necessarily limits the creative process.  There's game concepts that don't work (or would be considered inappropriate) when your target platform is Steam: Ikusa Megami Zero, Sengoku Rance, and the Venus Blood series, just to name a few of my favorites.  Games being modularly designed with excisable ero content is a very real concern of mine.

This highlights a more fundamental issue: that many of us like Japanese games for the reason that they deal with different sorts of themes and they're not bound by Western cultural values.  As soon as they start consciously targeting the Western audience, they'll dilute the qualities that make the games appealing to us (fans of niche Japanese entertainment) in the first place.  They tried to reassure us that this wasn't the case, but in the big scheme of things I'm not convinced.

49 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

@sanahtlig You should be Fuwanovels official journalist with a main page slot :sachi:. You're always putting up interesting Vn related news topics :miyako:. Well i guess you got your blog for your own writings, though it'll be good promotion right? 

maybe he is really a jounalist irl? but at somepoint @sanahtlig didnt ask a question on frontwing which i do not except

9 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

@sanahtlig You should be Fuwanovels official journalist with a main page slot :sachi:. You're always putting up interesting Vn related news topics :miyako:. Well i guess you got your blog for your own writings, though it'll be good promotion right? 

I wrote for Fuwanovel for a time, but after the matter involving Interpol, management encouraged me to host my content off-site.  @Decaydoes a fine job covering the news for the front page, even though his overly cheery demeanor makes me cringe at times.

If the Fuwanovel front page were more accessible, I'd probably post there occasionally.  As it is, I've enjoyed being able to freely publish and update my posts without needing to convince (and wait on) someone first.  And to be honest, some of my best content gets turned down by other sites.  LewdGamer didn't want to carry my Nutaku article, for instance.

9 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:

maybe he is really a jounalist irl? but at somepoint @sanahtlig didnt ask a question on frontwing which i do not except

Frontwing was only taking questions for 3hrs, and this was announced suddenly.  It's not like I haunt Reddit updating the page 20x a day, waiting breathlessly for the next new post.  Anymore.

I'm actually not a journalist, and those around me tend to be surprised that I'm any good at writing.

I see, well makes sense that you'll want the freedom to post topics that interests you without a leash. Your posts do promote lively discourse amongst people in fuwa so good job!

Now:

29 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I wrote for Fuwanovel for a time, but after the matter involving Interpol, management encouraged me to host my content off-site.

was this suppose to be a joke or something involving Interpol actually happened?!:michiru:

If it did, please elaborate since you mentioned it! :wafuu:

I read through quite a bit of it [still reading]. Everyone's comments plus your own retelling is painting quite a vivid picture of what happened. Yup no further explanation needed. 

It's interesting, Fuwanovel really did have quite the history. Must be fascinating for the older users to see how this site evolved with time, and will probably continue to evolve.  Glad everything's sorted and times are peaceful for the new and old now .

I like peace :sachi:.

2 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Frontwing was only taking questions for 3hrs, and this was announced suddenly.  It's not like I haunt Reddit updating the page 20x a day, waiting breathlessly for the next new post.  Anymore.

I'm actually not a journalist, and those around me tend to be surprised that I'm any good at writing.

It was announced like 2  weeks ago.