I really enjoy Liarsofts unique style.

Mkilbride

Versus all the other VNS out there, Liarsoft has not only a unique art style compared to pretty much every VN, but their writing is so...different too, it's hard to explain, but it comes across as more "Genuine", i/e, the way people think and talk.  They do re-use alot of dialogue for dramatic effect, of course, but still, their VNs stand out from others because pretty much every other VN uses a similar art style / reads the same.  When you read a Liarsoft VN, much like a Type-Moon VN, you -know- who made it. By their writing style & art style alone.  I really appreciate them going the extra mile for stuff like that.   Nitroplus, at least their older works, also has a consistent style to them.

Glad you enjoyed them.

It's a pity everything ended with Sona-Nyl. Gakhtun wasn't the same anymore and felt a lot more bland compared to Sakurai's previous stories, although I still enjoyed it to an extent. It more or less marks a turning point, after Sakurai finally bid her farewell to Liar-Soft. Albeit sad, it seems we're not finished yet; Sakurai and AKIRA seem to have returned in a newly created circle, called "Engine Smoker" to work on a conclusion to the Shining World, dubbed as the "End of the Shining World". Apparently, there's also a new WAB game coming, Sakurai is most propably planning to publish herself; Akira is doing the art as well and MUTS will continue to compose the music :holo:

HYPE.

Basically, aside from Gakhtun (which was officially released), we have two unofficial translations available - one for Sekien no Inganock (aka "Inganock of the brightest flame") and another for Shikkoku no Sharnoth ("Sharnoth of the darkest black"); both translated by Amaterasu translations (or more or less, Ixrec, if you're really curious). At one time, he hinted at a possible Shiei no Sona-Nyl translation, but it's unknown as of yet, whether they will translate it, as currently they're occupied with Rewrite.

Sona-nyl is considered Sakurai's best tale so far; unfortunately, it's not available in english so far and it's also preety difficult to read and understand, especially in regards to her previous works; a lot of people tend to compare it with The Forest, which was basically a spiritual predecessor to the WAB series.

9 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Versus all the other VNS out there, Liarsoft has not only a unique art style compared to pretty much every VN, but their writing is so...different too, it's hard to explain, but it comes across as more "Genuine", i/e, the way people think and talk.  They do re-use alot of dialogue for dramatic effect, of course, but still, their VNs stand out from others because pretty much every other VN uses a similar art style / reads the same.  When you read a Liarsoft VN, much like a Type-Moon VN, you -know- who made it. By their writing style & art style alone.  I really appreciate them going the extra mile for stuff like that.   Nitroplus, at least their older works, also has a consistent style to them.

Mmm... to be honest, while Liarsoft's style is unique amongst VNs, it reminded me of when I was reading a 'back to origins' version of Grimm's Fairy Tales (you know, before they cleaned them up for public consumption).  For that reason, including the cadence of the narrative, I actually have a lot more trouble enjoying Liarsoft games than I should, considering my fondness for fantasy and fantastical stories.  I liked Sekien no Inganock, but I was still a bit irritated by the cadence of the narration when I went back and read it in Japanese later, lol. 

Sekien no Inganock really resonates with me, some ten months after I read it, much more so than Gahkthun does (though I loved it, too). I still haven't read Sharnoth. The couple of times I've tried reading un-TLed it's mostly been an exercise in futility for me, so I'm unlikely to try anything else from the Steampunk series unless/until it gets a TL.

At any rate, in both Gahkthun and Inganock, I liked the way Sakurai framed simple stories about human relationships in distinctive, fantastic settings with aesthetics I appreciate (read: steampunk, cute anime grills). It might just be my being somewhat immune to repetition, but I don't mind the style - if anything, I find it interesting, though admittedly I hear that tendency is even stronger in Sharnoth than it is in Inganock or Gahkthun. It also certainly helped both of those games that I came to love both the art style brought by Liarsoft and especially the music brought by Blueberry and Yogurt (in spite of that name...) / MUTS.

So I guess I don't know how much of what I appreciate is Liarsoft itself, how much is Sakurai (I expect a lot), and how much is Blueberry and Yogurt / MUTS (also a lot, I suspect).

I have been meaning to play Yurirei, which would give me a good sample of Liarsoft and Blueberry and Yogurt / MUTS without Sakurai. I honestly didn't realize it had the same musicians behind it until literally just now, so Yurirei will almost certainly be the next thing I pick up, because holy shit I love the music for both Inganock and Gahkthun.

Sharnoth is translated though. I'm reading it right now.  It is abit harder to get into the Inganock for me. Maybe because the MC Is female, alot of her thoughts and views aren't resonating with me as much. Still, the music and visuals are great. As well as the SFX. I'm reading it as a snails pace though...but still reading it. haven't read Gahkthun, but it is on my list of to-reads.

8 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I have been meaning to play Yurirei, which would give me a good sample of Liarsoft and Blueberry and Yogurt / MUTS without Sakurai. I honestly didn't realize it had the same musicians behind it until literally just now, so Yurirei will almost certainly be the next thing I pick up, because holy shit I love the music for both Inganock and Gahkthun.

Actually, Sakurai did worked on the Yurirei as well.