VN emote usage statistics

We need them. Most interesting metric is probably "uses per day", say for the last week. Paging @Flutterz for his forum-scraping code.

Based on unbiased random sample totally biased gut feel, I bet :miyako: is winning on daily usage since its introduction, so kudos to @TexasDice for that one. I've certainly used it a lot already.

Unfortunately my code stopped working with the IPB4 update :rimu: It relied heavily on the fact that there was a list you could go to to see all the members - a "members list", if you will - to function.

Edit: actually nevermind, there is a way to get a list of members. http://forums.fuwanovel.net/search/?type=core_members However my code is still virtually useless because it parses the html and looks for likes, and the html has changed and you're not looking for likes. I can give you a rundown of what you'd need to do to get what you want though.

1 hour ago, Flutterz said:

Unfortunately my code stopped working with the IPB4 update :rimu: It relied heavily on the fact that there was a list you could go to to see all the members - a "members list", if you will - to function.

Edit: actually nevermind, there is a way to get a list of members. http://forums.fuwanovel.net/search/?type=core_members However my code is still virtually useless because it parses the html and looks for likes, and the html has changed and you're not looking for likes. I can give you a rundown of what you'd need to do to get what you want though.

I get that it doesn't do the same thing, or even necessarily a similar thing, but having a starting point is probably still going to be better than starting from scratch. Given my current state of funemployment, I have nothing but time right now to go make it work (except when interviewing - which sucks).

16 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I get that it doesn't do the same thing, or even necessarily a similar thing, but having a starting point is probably still going to be better than starting from scratch. Given my current state of funemployment, I have nothing but time right now to go make it work (except when interviewing - which sucks).

I do think it'll be easier to start from scratch to be honest, but if you want it anyway http://a.pomf.cat/ckjziq.zip , this has all the code and all the outputs it produced back when I used it last summer. Just keep in mind that my comments might be a little... sparse. :makina:

In case you have a change of heart and decide to save yourself the suffering of going through my code or Java isn't your thing, here's what I'd do:

Spoiler

1. Get a full list of member IDs (1234-username) by crawling the members list I linked

2. Put those into the url for a user's content

3. Find all the emoticons on each page of a user's post content and save them along with the datetime of the post it's part of

4. Do that for every page of every user's content page

@Flutterz yeah, I've done absolutely nothing on it, so go for it. I'm honestly terrible about doing any kind of software work outside of my job - I think the sum total of what I've done in the last few years was spending half hour making a VNDB API client. I thought maybe while I didn't have a job that'd change, but it's only been a few weeks and my brain hasn't quite shifted out of that mode yet apparently (possibly because of ongoing interviews and whatnot).