Da Capo II

Stormwolf

Didn't find any discussion thread for this title.

It has a much, much better common route than Da capo 1, that's sure. Loved the side cast, Wataru and Suganami, Akane! (want Akane route :()Protagonist is crap compared to the first though. Would have loved a second Jun'ichi!

Spoiler

Anzu - Well, i liked the route. I liked the heroine. The drama started good, and kept me on edge. But i did smell some bullshit when the drama was climaxing. She lost her powers and regressed to the state she was in before with her faulty memory. Then why did she remember all her friends and not her boyfriend? I mean, it would have been good if she forgot everyone as that would be in line with what was happening to her, but it was a bit forced. It could have been about you disappearing, but that didn't happen in this route and would only be speculation so i don't think that was it either. Otherwise, good route!

Koko - what the heck was that? The writers for this route deserves a giant punch in the face. I had my suspicions and selected this route early, and i sure made a wise choice. This was more Nanaka than Koko and it was utterly boring with the protagonist being 10 times as retarded as usual and as Jun'ichi would say, a pain in the neck until the very last moments of her route. Then they also managed to add a separation to the end of her route. It was entirely shit. Perhaps the absolute worst route i've ever read. I don't mind Koko though, just that her route is shit.

Yume - Well, what can i say. I've seen a lot of complaints towards those sisters, but i don't mind Yume at all. She was adorably jealous and her route didn't really contain much. At the end, i do wonder why you disappeared in such a way you never do in the other routes. Here it took a step further. In Anzu at least, someone at one point didn't notice you and it wasn't touched upon any more on that route. Bit bad writing, but i'll let that off as a minor issue.

Minatsu- I didn't like her at all at first. That rough voice and the pissy attitude. But she became my favorite heroine at the end. I had to laugh when they turned Maya into some hero during the route. I just had to facepalm as that bitch turned 180 degrees in her opinion of Minatsu because of some typical scenario where Minatsu could save her brother. It was so cheap, and made Maya look like a hypocrite bitch. But the route was a really fun read.

Otome - Well, that was a great route. She did piss me off when she started becoming distant though. What a predicament. Everyone nagging you about you doing something bad to her, you desperately trying to help her and find out why she acts that way, yet she is contemplating whether to kill you or not. But it ended as i expected. Previous routes have already set the stage for every route. SHit hits the fan, reunion during epilogue. Im pretty certain that if this game has a true heroine, this is it. With all the mysteries being explained and Yun'ichi finally appearing, Yumes was nothing compared to this.

Nanaka - pretty fantastic route. She was also the best heroine by far. The common route to the heroine was pretty great and had focus until a certain point, they flirted for a long time with no issues until suddenly a triangle was introduced out of nowhere, a bit late imo and both Koko and Wataru went completely emo when they acted completely different before that point. Well, mostly Wataru. Yoshiyuki was pretty great in this route as well. Not as dense as the other routes and that was refreshing. The only part where i can recall was moronic was that he didn't realize Koko liked him. It was so obvious. Wataru was a more complex matter so i understand not knowing what the heck he was mad about. Yuzu was entertaining, but i did somehow expect another triangle with her dad as they made a sprite for him.

Bonus/true route - Well, now i just have this last one left. I do suspect it has to do with Sakura and her death or something. Young on the outside, old on the inside kind of thing. But it'll be interesting.

I've noticed some glaring issues with the routes though. Every single route i've read up to this point has had some form of separation and reunion at the very end. It's too predictable and should be more varied. Additionally the routes end too quickly with the reunion being the final moment of the route. Also one which was very prominent in Nanaka's route is that he didn't disappear in the slightest and Otome was surprised and very happy to see him after killing the tree. Now i've read all the routes expect the very last, and it makes absolutely no sense. I do hope the bonus/true whaterever gives some clarity, but i very much doubt it.

There's an Akane route... in the Plus Communication version. There are a crapton of routes in that version, actually, too bad there's no english version. MangaGamer's refusal to translate the bonus DC2 content has always disappointed me. 

The Koko's route is pure shit. Everyone involved acts like an idiot and the number of times they postpone their eventual confession of love is nearly record-breaking. So incredibly frustrating.

Also, you mean "Minatsu," lol.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed in Koko's route as well. You slowly get to know her better but the climax of the story sucked and slowly edge towards Nanaka. The love triangle bit was pointless in my opinion and just needed a reason to make her story more interesting. At least her route was better in Spring Celebration.

Anzu's story was good but I hated her character. She's like a troll with a monotone voice.

Minatsu's story is ok with me as well but I don't like robot characters as a heroine in general. Seems a bit freaky when they're in the H-scene.

Yume reminds me of Nemu from D.C.I but a bit more diverse in personality. At least she supports you in some cases but she's still has that annoying little sister trait.

Otome's is one of my favourite characters. To be honest, she's the reason why I started liking big-sister characters a lot more and started to understand how they think. This was also hard for me to like these types of characters since I have an older sister who is the complete opposite to this personality.

Nanaka = Best girl. She's one of those cheeky characters who plays around but doesn't annoy you. She also gets serious later on in her arc and her ability starts to get useful.

da-capo-2-100-prev.jpg

Hmm......... Da Capo Discussion 2, eh. I'll link it to VN Analysis now.

@OP About the writer of Koko route, Mochizuki Jet, I think I'd have one comment, "He was big fan of Nanaka" because I checked VNDB list and I saw that he also write Nanaka route. And yes I understand the infamy of Koko route. Or if we want to see it more fairly, I think the writer almost hit the deadline when he write Koko route after wasting many months for his beloved Nanaka, so he write what the idea he could scrapped for Koko route. Well, that was according to my bullshit theory anyway lol.

20 hours ago, Decay said:

Also, you mean "Minatsu," lol.

You are entirely correct! Guess all these similar names starts mixing up in my head :P

19 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

The only great thing that's ever happened in Da Capo II is...

Hidden Content

stephen-colbert-celebration-gif1.gif

It's funny how they more or less just ignore the existence of Nemu. She is mentioned, and it's like she was alive just a few years ago, but nothing more than that. Regardless of how much she was hated she was the main heroine in the first game, so i think a grave visit event or something like that would have been a great addition to Otome/Yume's routes.

Wow, it's been a long time since I played Da Capo II. 

I gave it 7/10 in VNDB when I finished it and now I wonder why I gave such a high grade to it over there. Perhaps I didn't read a lot of great visual novels around that time to realize that a 7/10 was more than it actually deserved. 

Oh, well, it had some enjoyable characters/routes. I remember that I enjoyed Anzu, Nanaka and Otome. 

A pair of so-so characters/routes: Yume and Minatsu. 

And one terrible character/route: Koko.

Yoshiyuki was a terrible protagonist. Even worse than Jun'ichi from its prequel. 

The most interesting character, Akame, didn't have a route on the original game. I was thinking of playing Plus Communication just because of her, but there're so many other untranslated visual novels that I'm more interested in that I doubt I'll ever play it. 

6 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

It's funny how they more or less just ignore the existence of Nemu. She is mentioned, and it's like she was alive just a few years ago, but nothing more than that. Regardless of how much she was hated she was the main heroine in the first game, so i think a grave visit event or something like that would have been a great addition to Otome/Yume's routes.

That girl deserves death and abandonment for all of eternity so I don't feel any kind of remorse for her. Her existence ruined the first Da Capo and her being canonically married to Jun'ichi was an added salt in the wound when it could have been someone else, someone more tolerant and less cancerous than her. 

• 5 years later...