Musumaker Translation Project (Mikan, Karin, Ichigo, Suika, Zakuro, Yuzu routes complete!)

RaurosFalls

21 hours ago, tymmur said:

45.0% TOTAL             +0.2%  
27534/61164              +150   

79.2% Routes            +0.5%  
 24.6% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 42.4% Karin             +3.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro   

Thanks. It's encouraging to get feedback that it's not just ignored. Obviously I wrote a script to get the status, but it's still not nothing to remember to update git, run the script and copy paste the output to the forum.

We sure look forward to seeing a release too. It still has a long way to go though. For instance the interface is still untranslated and we can always use more translators to speed up progress. We are also still without any editors. Playing the VN in the current state really is an inferior experience compared to the planned result.

It's definitely not ignored, I keep checking back each week to see where it's at and I am sure many others do also. can't wait for the finished patch. Please keep up the good work your doing!

giphy.gif

Oh, just got back the hd version of musumaker and seeing that some people are still working on translating this ? That's great ! See you recruit, do you still need a hand ? My japanese is probably too basic to help on the translation, but good at making graphics and using programs such as photoshop, so if you need help for the menu and all, would be more than happy to help. ^^

6 hours ago, Rossignol said:

Oh, just got back the hd version of musumaker and seeing that some people are still working on translating this ? That's great ! See you recruit, do you still need a hand ? My japanese is probably too basic to help on the translation, but good at making graphics and using programs such as photoshop, so if you need help for the menu and all, would be more than happy to help. ^^

There are so many tasks to do that we will welcome any help we can get. I have sent you a private message. For anybody else, who likes to contribute, feel free to contact me. In fact there are so many tasks left that we can easily use more people with similar skills to split the workload.

Hey I just wanted to say I really appreciate what you guys are doing. I love raising sims games, and ever since I've played Teaching Feeling: Life With a Slave, and The Land Where One Can Make Monmusu pets: Elf Girl Mimia; I've been looking for more. This game fits right into the category I am looking for. If anyone is bored, you can play the games mentioned above while waiting. They are similar in raising aspect; You can purchase them from dlsite and find their English patches in google. 

Anyways, keep up the hard work! I am patiently awaiting the games patch!

Also, if it's not too much to ask, does anyone have a rough estimation of when the patch should be finished?

On 31/12/2017 at 7:19 AM, MrZangaroo said:

Also, if it's not too much to ask, does anyone have a rough estimation of when the patch should be finished?

The most precise answer I can give: I haven't got a clue. The reason is that in order to provide a prediction it will require knowing everything, which needs to be done and how long time each task will take. We have no way of knowing that either. Combine this with the unpredictable amount of man-hours to contribute daily or how much speed will increase with experience (if at all) and a prediction will be as accurate as predicting the winning lotto numbers. It will be a person saying some semi-random number which will likely be wrong.

It's released when it's ready, whenever that might be.

First status update of the year and lots of stuff happened starting around when I posted the last update.

@RaurosFalls continued translating Karin's route

@UnusuallyNormal joined and started translating stuff related to Ichigo starting with some side stories

@Naurlas joined and started adding English text to button graphics and similar

@Rossignol joined and started making png files with names in English for whoever is speaking

@tymmur had a busy week providing everybody with everything they need in order to work

This mean progress has gone from faster to way faster and we now have progress in other stuff than just number of translated lines. The most eye catching change this week is that names have now started to be translated ingame, both in the main screen (png files) and backlog (pure programming by me), mainly because it's the only ingame graphic change I have had time to add so far.

Despite the good progress, we can still use more people, particularly related to the text (translators, editors, TLC etc). Graphics is another story. I can't think of any unassigned tasks apart from decensoring.

Last, but not least, the "usual" progress table. The line count is great and you can really tell the number of translators has doubled. However I suspect the time of year and days off plays a role as well.

46.1% TOTAL             +0.9%  
28215/61164              +561   

80.2% Routes            +0.6%  
 30.1% Side Stories      +5.5%  
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 49.7% Karin             +4.4%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro  

In the past week we had one translator working exclusively on translating images. Images are not part of the lines, which are counted for statistics and this will screw the numbers for this week. Image editing turns out to work much faster than I had expected and more than 200 images have been edited already. However getting them back into the VN is not trivial and once again I have resorted to scripting to avoid crashes. So far scripting this has been slower than editing the images themselves, but my focus is not daily progress, but rather getting any images to work at all and from that perspective it has been a complete success.

46.6% TOTAL             +0.5%  
28528/61164              +313   

81.3% Routes            +1.1%  
 30.1% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 57.2% Karin             +7.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro   

A brief update this time. No less than 3 people managed to get ill, meaning two people (myself included) didn't do anything at all :wacko:

47.0% TOTAL             +0.4%  
28758/61164              +230   

82.1% Routes            +0.8%  
 30.1% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 62.8% Karin             +5.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro   

18 hours ago, tymmur said:

A brief update this time. No less than 3 people managed to get ill, meaning two people (myself included) didn't do anything at all :wacko:

47.0% TOTAL             +0.4%  
28758/61164              +230   

82.1% Routes            +0.8%  
 30.1% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 62.8% Karin             +5.6%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro   

Bummer! I hope it's not this nasty superflu that's been going around, it hits like a truck, some people have even died from it. Make sure you guys take care of yourselves, and I hope you get well soon.

Christel-1-1.gif

Speaking about illness, in Indonesia the weather was pretty cold so it's not surprising that some people could catch the illness - I don't know though if the weather was also pretty cold at the country you're in. I just hope that you're get well soon, and so does with other two people as well.

Hello Everyone.

Do you guys need anyone to help test the translation patch to ensure there are no bugs (and to report any bugs found)? If so I would love to help out with the testing. I just need to know where to get the fan patch and what version of the game the patch must be applied to as well as any specific patch installation processes that are required to install it.

Let me know if you need help testing it for bugs and other problems.

On 20/1/2018 at 1:02 AM, Alistoru said:

Bummer! I hope it's not this nasty superflu that's been going around, it hits like a truck, some people have even died from it.

To my knowledge it has nothing to do with the flu. However hearing about a deadly superflu is not nice at all. Hopefully it's not the event for next week.

17 hours ago, Terriblefate94 said:

Do you guys need anyone to help test the translation patch to ensure there are no bugs (and to report any bugs found)? If so I would love to help out with the testing. I just need to know where to get the fan patch and what version of the game the patch must be applied to as well as any specific patch installation processes that are required to install it.

Thanks, but currently there is no need for bugtesting. It would likely make the most sense to put this together with the testing of the translation itself and we will not reach that stage for quite a while. Another thing, which makes sense to test for is to make sure all the images have been translated and since translating the interface is an ongoing process, we know a significant part of them are left untranslated. In fact I'm still lacking behind in even getting the translated ones injected into the VN. As for other bugs, I better fix the list of known bugs first.

Regarding installation and requirements, as it looks right now (and it will hopefully stay like that) is that it will require MusumakerHD 1.18 (the newest), be it a patched disc version or (prepatched) digital download. Applying the translation is just a matter of copying files. The translation will not be savegame compatible with the Japanese version. More details on this when it's actually possible to download the translation.

No partial patch or pre-release planned because it's still sub standard compared to the planned quality. I have been thinking a lot about this and generally I prefer to just release what I got ASAP. However since it's a VN with a storyline, you really will mainly enjoy it the first time you read it and the enjoyment depends on the quality. As much as I hate doing so, the best option seems to be to not release anything for the time being.

Weekly update. A little late because I had problems getting hold of the progress in time.

47.4% TOTAL             +0.4%  
29008/61164              +250   

83.0% Routes            +0.9%  
 30.1% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 68.8% Karin             +6.0%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro  

3 minutes ago, Shioxus said:

You are awesome and I can't thank you enough for your hard work. If I was further along in my Japanese studies I would be happy to help, but alas, I only know basic stuff. Add another person to those rooting for you and your team!

Same here :)   I was curious @tymmur was the original version of the game made in nscripter or some kind of derivative?   

1 hour ago, NODA12011 said:

was the original version of the game made in nscripter or some kind of derivative?   

No. It looks like the engine is a custom one written specifically for Musumaker, though without having verified it, I will assume they kept using the same engine for each VN they have since released and with each release, they added new features.  MusumakerHD is marketed as "Musumaker in HD and with engine features from Tincle Twinkle Festival" (their previous title). Indeed the HD script syntax indicates it is in fact the same engine as the SD version. However while the SD version was rather primitive regarding graphics, the HD version can move, scale, shake etc, which naturally affects the scripts. It's actually a quite powerful and easy to use script once you get to know it and I think it's the best VN script syntax I have seen.

However the script syntax is not that important for a translation project. The only thing, which really counts is replacement of text. Sadly the engine is not good for this as just replacing Japanese with English text can cause crashes. I had to write a script to insert the text in a consistent way without crashes. Changing anything else will make it a different VN and clash with the approach that the translation should provide the same reading experience regardless of which language you read the VN in. The exception to this rule is bugfixing.

2 hours ago, tymmur said:

However the script syntax is not that important for a translation project. The only thing, which really counts is replacement of text. Sadly the engine is not good for this as just replacing Japanese with English text can cause crashes. 

Is that similar to how ((P)O)NScripter requires a ` at the beginning of a line you wanted English text on?   I've been working on a translation project of my own and had that problem alot.   An example of this would be something like in the screenshot : ss.png

9 hours ago, NODA12011 said:

Is that similar to how ((P)O)NScripter requires a ` at the beginning of a line you wanted English text on?   I've been working on a translation project of my own and had that problem alot.   An example of this would be something like in the screenshot :

Yes and no. Your example is a feature in the engine. Musumaker has an engine, which was never intended for English, meaning rather than calling a well defined feature, it has to be tricked and I'm not going into details on how to do that.

47.8% TOTAL             +0.3%  
29208/61164              +200   

83.7% Routes            +0.7%  
 30.1% Side Stories             
 21.7% Training                 

Routes
 96.0% Common                   
 73.6% Karin             +4.8%  
 13.3% Ichigo                   
100.0% Mikan                    
100.0% Yuzu                     
100.0% Suika                    
100.0% Twins                    
100.0% Zakuro      

2 minutes ago, MrZangaroo said:

Question: Are the side stories and training going to take as long as the routes in terms of translating? Or are they (hopefully) easier/shorter?

The main indicator you should check for is the total. That one counts every single line regardless of where it is located. When that one reaches 100%, then it's translated. There is still editing and other quality improving tasks left though.

I'm thinking about how to present status in the future. Adding line after line of 100% is not really useful. Also the listing is incomplete because declaring everything with descriptions of what goes where will spoil. However this isn't my top priority and this will have to do, at least for a while.