Things You Dislike in VNs

Eurobeatz

Oh, there's worse things in VNs than scat. Extreme guro coupled with cannibalism was among the worst I've seen.

Yeah, that is one VN section I will not be venturing into. Sounds more like a horror story than eroge. (I would have nightmares from that, heck I still might just thinking about it, nasty)

I dislike when you are making a choice in the game and it's not really a choice, its completely random on where you go. (and you don't know where anyone is) The Second Reproduction for example great story loved it but, the choices were almost nonexistent. You would have to have a walk-through to get any of the other endings.

And I hate it when the story is hazy and through over half of the book you are trying to figure out what the story is supposed to be about.

I greatly dislike dumb protagonist's as well. (I don't see the appeal of them, naive is one thing no common sense is a another completely)

- Protags without eyes/facial features. I don't like vns that assume the reader to be in the protag's shoes.

- H scenes within a few days after confession. It killed Hoshimemo for me, especially Chinami's route ]:. I liked the family aspect of her route but then... bam! H scene between brother/sister T__T I think this is the reason why I go for all-ages whenever possible =__=;;

- Plot holes

*Protagonist suddenly becoming stupid for no reason (hi Kotarou in Lucia!).

[i raged pretty bad at that moment.]

*Lack of saves / save slots. There shouldn't be any limit on saves in a PC release.

[i haven't really run into this problem but I could see myself hating it.]

*Probably lack of voice in some VNs.

[i greatly prefer having voiced VNs. I'd say I hate all unvoiced VNs but I haven't played enough to be able to say that and Katawa Shoujo is a glaring contradiction.]

*Horrible OSTs. I could just turn on my own music, but after hearing Rewrites OST everyone else was put to shame lol.

[Except I can't just turn on my own music. It wouldn't feel the same to me and thus, I probably won't continue playing the novel. I have to agree that Rewrites OST was good but that can't possibly be one of the best.]

*The overly large boobs featured in some VNs. Bothers me in anime too.

[This is what turned me off Senran Kagura, which should have been mindless entertainment had there been other breast sizes other than D's.]

*Might be a personal pet peeve, but I dislike poor art. Irritates me and then I can't read. Which sucks for me cause then I can't read old VNs with good story =\

[if the VN / Anime has good art, I'll almost certainly check it out.]

Just putting some comments on the things other people have listed that I agree with.

- I hate when the main characters do something idiotic or out of character for the sake of advancing the plot

- Most people seem to like voice acting but I'm not a fan, I normally turn it if I'm given the option

- I also dislike H scenes normally, especially if the're blatant fanservice

-Pointless Choices (Asked to choose but meets) (Unless it's it's a point system route)

-Plot Holes

-Otome POV (For the moment)

-NTR (For the moment)

-Brutality (Grosteque Dustmania) (Though I laugh off those brutal scenes..)

1. Fillers and Dragging storyline - Unnecesary scenes that just have nothing to do with anything at all can ruin a good storyline. It makes the development of the story slow, making it a bit boring. Though I don't think I can find much VNs with no fillers at all (fillers actually help the reader became attached to the characters), it would be good if they can be minimized. Also, some stories just develop way too slowly, which makes it similarly uninteresting.

2. Rape, NTR and BDSM - I think I would never be a fan of rape, ntr or any BDSM play for H scenes. Call me naive, but I think sex is an act of love and should not be forced upon onto the other.

3. Overly attached Imouto (or Imouto-like) Heroines- I actually like some imouto-like heroines (like Yume of DC II), but I just hate it if the imouto is overly attached to the protagonist. It makes me see them as some spoiled brat.

Oh gosh, a whole bundle, but I suppose some of them are also my anime pet peeves.

Abusive Female Characters- I think everyone's familiar with the type. The main character will do something silly or there'll be a misunderstanding, and she'll respond with violence like hitting him in the head or punching him in the face. It's not cute, it's rude, and if someone did that to me on a regular basis I definitely would not be their friend.

Lolis- In most h-games there's gotta be at least one, it seems, and nothing turns me off faster than a little girl's crying and squealing. Usually paired with my next dislike.

Deflowering- Blood is not a turn on, and hearing how the protagonist is "breaking her wall (gag)" and gushing out just makes me want to skip the entire scene.

Watersports- I have never seen scat in a visual novel, but the villain route of Jewel Knights Crusaders (probably one of my favorite VNs) was basically dedicated to this fetish and it was just really uncomfortable to read.

Faceless MCs- I don't understand Japan's love of this? To me it just looks like the picture is unfinished. Or when their eyes are covered by their bangs.

Traps/Identity Issues- And for the latter I'm not talking about transgenders or anything. What I mean is reverse traps, who also fall along the lines of "I'm not allowed to be a girl because I know karate/am a prince/whatever". It's just a storyline that I don't enjoy very much.

Crossdressing- Biiig turn off. Seeing boys in girl clothes- especially maid outfits or lingerie- just...no. I like my men to look like men.

- Protags without eyes/facial features. I don't like vns that assume the reader to be in the protag's shoes.

I feel the same. I just can't put myself in the protag's shoes. Same goes for most American shooters out there where the protag's silent. The idea is to make the player feel like they're part of the game, but it just doesn't work for me unless it's a game without a plot like Doom.

Also, I'd love to see more protagonists being voiced. I think it gives them much more personality instead of being just a placeholder for the reader.

Also: Eurobeatz, what type of f*cked up VNs did you play that had scat sex? lol. As for regular anal, I don't see anything wrong with that, (I actually think its kind of hot. Probably shouldn't have admitted that.)

I haven't actually PLAYED VNs containing scat, but I've heard horror stories about them. I watched a hentai OVA that contained a totally random scat scene... it was terrible.

Regular anal is considered pretty normal; I've seen such scenes even in non-fetishy VNs. I just dislike it because I can't see asses as sexual things, I only associate them with shit. But to each their own.