How do you deal with people being better than you?

InvictusCobra

I'm fairly competitive in a few things, like soccer and a few games I play with my friends, but other than that, I don't really care, and even when I do care, as long as I give it my all, I'm happy with, or at least tolerant of, my losses and failures.  I've never been the type of person that has to be #1 at something anyway, I just wasn't raised like that and I generally don't have the natural talent.  I'm also pretty lazy when I'm not driven to do something, as I'm sure I've mentioned before.

I noticed that the few who were assholes (and ultra academically competitive) were usually miserable. They were always stressing about something. By just accepting that they were better than me (at a certain thing and moving on) I realized that I was a lot more happy than them anyway. Which got me to also realize; who cares if you're brilliant if you're chronically stressed and miserable.

That level of competitiveness and ability usually seems to go hand in hand with narcissism, and that is of course an incredibly anti-social attribute, so no surprise those types of people act like assholes.  I've known around 3-4 people that were obsessed with their grades and were nice people, while the rest of them were unpleasant to be around.

That level of competitiveness and ability usually seems to go hand in hand with narcissism, and that is of course an incredibly anti-social attribute, so no surprise those types of people act like assholes.  I've known around 3-4 people that were obsessed with their grades and were nice people, while the rest of them were unpleasant to be around.

My best friend last school year was a guy like this, I was practically the only person (that I know of ) he was quite well off with at school, but we drifted apart when he started getting stellar grades and my performance plummeted (mostly lack of reception from my end, I started to hang out more with some other friends none of whom were successful in anything academic). He was apathetic at best towards others but I know he had a shaky past so I don't blame him. The guy loved water polo, most of his friends were his teammates to my knowledge. That concept's utterly alien to me because 1) I've never been in a team of any sort and 2) My social life has always revolved around the internet and school.

I know Initial D is not necessary some sort of philosophical show, but this one particular scene has always stood out to me:

Dad: So who are you racing with this time?

Main character: I am racing Takahashi Ryosuke............ Actually, no, I am racing with myself.

Dad: Racing with yourself?........... It looks like this kid has finally graduated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a very competitve person, which is rather painfull considering I suck at everything. So, I act like an asshole to everyone to compensate for my inadequacies.

it seems we have a a lot of thins in common.

If I am getting my ass kicked to hard in a game I usually just quit. And I don't want my teammates yelling at me saying: you suck, stop feeding, reporting.

So that one in a million chance I do do good in a game, I celebrate and brag about it.

It depends on how much I care about what we're playing, and how big of a gap there is between me and whoever is better than me. For instance, if me and someone else were playing a game I didn't much care for and they were astronomically better than me, I wouldn't really care and I wouldn't try and get anywhere close to as good as them. However in a game i'm pretty into, i'll generally try to get as good, if not better than the person who is better than me. 

If they're significantly better than me, I'll fawn them hard and roleplay a doormat to try and get them to teach what I'm doing wrong and how can I get better.

Don't mind being worse than someone in a game. In fact, it's way more frustrating when you lose to players who are worse than you. 

It used to annoy me quite a bit ~10 years ago, but nowadays it's kinda gone the other way and I expect there to be people who are better than me. Stops me getting my hopes up too high, and more importantly from making a cocky tit of myself.

That being said, I'm betting I could own people's arses at air hockey ^.^