Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Some thoughts:

Oremonigatari: Feel good to the max but it keeps on going. No real weak points so far except for the dorky animation from time to time. I expect this to end up somewhere near the top of my aoty 2015 list.

Monster musume: Surprised to see this is holding up even after the novelty of having monster girls in an ecchi harem show has worn off. Show pulls no punches, the storyline is actually good and the jokes are well written. Love to see the 'special' problems these girls have, fitting in to the human world. There's definitely a lot more here than meets the eye. Also, boobs I guess.

Charlotte: This show still has me intrigued after 7 episodes so that's definitely a good thing. Mystery and super powers? Yes! Hate the romantic tension they're building up between the main guy and girl tho because I dare say they won't ever act on it. Too bad, because it comes off as really natural. Still, great show.

Rokka: Animation seems to be tapering off on this one. Too bad, because the story is excellent, all the characters are well designed and likeable in their own way. Good mystery shows are always cool. Hope this one picks up because it was a top show in my book up until now.

Prison school: Show has been picking up a lot of steam lately, I can't say I exactly hate it, surprisingly. The story has been fairly engaging at parts and I genuinly like the animation. The censorship is bleh but what can you do, I guess... this one's only for experiences viewers, shall we say.

Snow white: best show of the season, hands down. Engaging story, loveable characters and drop dead gorgeous animation make this a strong contender for aoty for me as well. Watch it!

Is Gakkou Gurashi not going to do the Megu-nee reunion scene? They seem to be heading off to graduation sometime soon which kind of worries me.

This episode was pretty overly stretched out with absolutely nothing happening in it.

It's making me sad that they're stretching the really unimportant events for so long which takes away the more dark atmosphere the story is supposed to have.

Himouto Umaru-chan had a great episode, they're adapting some really good chapters for the anime in my opinion.

I feel like I'm the only one here watching Kuusen Madoushi, a.k.a How To Train Your Harem.

It's a pretty shit show but it fills the "average show you watch just because" quota pretty nicely.

Gakkou Gurashi new ED = shit is about to hit the fan.

Is Gakkou Gurashi not going to do the Megu-nee reunion scene? They seem to be heading off to graduation sometime soon which kind of worries me.

I guess that's what the key for. Should be a locker key, where Rii find Megu-nee's apocalypse notebook.

Gakkou Gurashi new ED = shit is about to hit the fan.

I guess that's what the key for. Should be a locker key, where Rii find Megu-nee's apocalypse notebook.

I thought of that too, but the preview for the next episode didn't seem to have that, although I guess they could do it some other episode.

But this brings me to another problem I'm having with the adaptation, though this was kind of a given, what are they actually going to accomplish in the end?

I thought of that too, but the preview for the next episode didn't seem to have that, although I guess they could do it some other episode.

But this brings me to another problem I'm having with the adaptation, though this was kind of a given, what are they actually going to accomplish in the end?

Cliffhanger. To be continue. Please wait while we are making season 2.

What the hell, Itami is an otaku, rancher and special forces lieutenant who has an ex-wife?

And the title of most unrealistic and physically impossible protagonist of the world goes to... :makina:

I loved the conference scene, really goes to show how humanity cares about things like morality when all of their other needs are fullfilled versus a society where just getting off alive from a dragon encounter is a miracle.

Rory rekt that woman, best girl 120% confirmed.

What the hell, Itami is an otaku, rancher and special forces lieutenant who has an ex-wife?

And the title of most unrealistic and physically impossible protagonist of the world goes to... :makina:

I loved the conference scene, really goes to show how humanity cares about things like morality when all of their other needs are fullfilled versus a society where just getting off alive from a dragon encounter is a miracle.

Rory rekt that woman, best girl 120% confirmed.

He is a ranger, not rancher. Much more believable. Also, I believe rangers are considered part of special forces, he is more accurately: An otaku who has an otaku wife who joined the military solely to support his otaku hobbies, and in an attempt to do so passed ranger training. Him getting promoted to a lieutenant happened after he saved loads of lives when the empire invaded across worlds. I would say he is on the side of one of the more believable characters.

He is a ranger, not rancher. Much more believable. Also, I believe rangers are considered part of special forces, he is more accurately: An otaku who has an otaku wife who joined the military solely to support his otaku hobbies, and in an attempt to do so passed ranger training. Him getting promoted to a lieutenant happened after he saved loads of lives when the empire invaded across worlds. I would say he is on the side of one of the more believable characters.

Just because they explained it doesn't mean it isn't something that only happens when all the planets are aligned, and that's kind of how they make it sound in the anime as well.

I mean, sure, you could technically end up where he's at, just like I can technically one day marry some celebrity, but come on...

And I'm not saying I dislike the character or anything, he's pretty cool if I daresay so myself, even refreshing considering how these types of show usually go, but his background basically made me react the same way the other woman in his squad reacted.

If I had a penny for every time I mean to type ranger but type rancher instead...

Just because they explained it doesn't mean it isn't something that only happens when all the planets are aligned, and that's kind of how they make it sound in the anime as well.

I mean, sure, you could technically end up where he's at, just like I can technically one day marry some celebrity, but come on...

And I'm not saying I dislike the character or anything, he's pretty cool if I daresay so myself, even refreshing considering how these types of show usually go, but his background basically made me react the same way the other woman in his squad reacted.

If I had a penny for every time I mean to type ranger but type rancher instead...

You would be suprized how often those planets actually align.

Mad jack churchill being a good example.

Ignoring the call, which is always unreasonable, and in modern usage selects a specific individual with certain abilities for the story, I'm more confused about why you think his background is so unlikely.  From the way I described it before, broken down into points, he is:

• A part of the special forces
  • Has a hobby as an otaku
  • Has a wife who is an otaku

I fail to see how any of these contradict each other.  None of them are completely unreasonable either.  Just because he is a special operative shouldn't exclude him from having certain hobbies.  In fact, considering his age and the time that this is placed in, I think it's actually quite realistic that he has them. 

In any case, they did the diet scene fairly well.  It was really amusing to actually see it animated.  I think they added the detail about Rory almost going crazy at the orator, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.  Personally, I found the manga version of Itami's line to be far more hilarious, the way the mangaka makes use of the turning of the page to make Itami tsukommi himself is something that seems to be lost in anime.

Most otakus wouldn't enroll in the military out of their own will, being in the military kind of makes it hard to keep your hobbies, especially in the first years, Itami clearly values things like conventions and other otaku events and the army would make you sacrifice a lot of that.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but otaku glorification is something anime suffers from and this anime does have that to some degree.
The only difference here is that the protagonist in particular isn't a helpless otaku like most otakus actually are, mainly because he's an adult with a stable income who has seen some shit, but from his background he's always been kinda lazy, which makes him getting those ranks pretty weird, even if they explain it and even if he is capable if he wanted to.
So yes, it's pretty rare, if you prefer to call it that.
And yes, I understand that is a stereotype, but the term otaku doesn't carry a positive notion,most otakus are like his wife, hence why when an anime glorifies one in such a way like Itami, it becomes more detrimental than anything, because it's not believable, or at the very least, it's very strange, and most people would react the same way that other woman did, it turns the show into otaku pandering, although I would say gate does this better than pretty much every other show I've seen, just because Itami is quite the human character, but his background is very tacked on in my opinion.

Take a show like Outbreak Company for example, the protagonist is a huge otaku too, the difference in that show is that, he has no redeeming qualities, he's just an otaku, and so when he does the shit he does, it's pretty unrealistic and ridiculous.

In Gate, Itami gets himself in some crazy situations too, the only difference is that the show gave him a background that could justify him being an otaku and being a capable human being, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's just for the sake of otaku pandering and glorification for the most part, and that's what makes everything feel tacked on.

Call it rare, unbelievable, unrealistic, whatever, I just can't believe such a perfect chain of events can happen so easily as you put it.

I'm still saying this doesn't make the show bad, but you have to stretch it to believe an otaku that's at least passionate about his hobbies would take on the risk of enrolling in the army and afterwards getting all those ranks while being a lazy bum.

Let's put it this way, out of all the otakus in the world, Itami is like that 0.1% 

Impossible? No.

Pretty unlikely? Definitely.

Good to see Yamada is still working at Wagnaria, I don't think Working would ever be the same without her.

Her mother is a fun character, it's a shame she won't be too present since the series is almost over.

It seems like Takanashi is coming close to realizing, or rather, admitting his feelings for Inami which is something I'm dying to see.

Good to see Souma finally handing all his gifts, I kind if wanted to see what they were though, and I want some more moments between him and Yachiyo before the story ends, preferably if they get together.

Every week, no matter what happens, I know Working will deliver, no exceptions.

Gakkou Gurshi getting all serious now, the next few episodes should pack a punch... and then the preview shows a swimsuit episode. *sigh*

I still do think they pad out the episodes a lot as well, and while I understand anime needs to be padded out to run for 24 mins, what makes it really annoying wtih Gakkou Gurashi is how absolutely nothing happens in the first 10 or 15 mins every time, it's just them walking around and talking really slowly.

Kuusen Madoushi is still shit with nothing interesting happening after 8 episodes, but at least there's boobs...sometimes.

Hmm...so my guess about that key being a locker key was correct (well, that's not a locker, but...oh well...)

I wonder how do they want to get things done in the last 4-5 eps?

With how much they stretch things out, and judging from the preview I can image the next episode is just a bunch of filler, with the ending being them discovering the supply storage.

Then in episode 10 they stretch it out again until it ends with Kurumi getting bitten

Then episode 11 is them curing Kurumi and whatnot

And finally episode 12 is graduation.