Shoutbox on Main Forum

Eclipsed

Shoutbox on Forum Main Page  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Shoutbox on Forum Main Page?

This poll is closed to new votes

I think two hyper-links is enough.... There no point trying to force something to be used when no one is even using it.

I think what's in question here is the reason people are not using it is because it's hidden in a different place that you have to reload your page to get into instead of just being instantly available the moment you load the main page, thus if we reversed this more people would use it.

I'm completely neutral since it doesn't affect me either way but I find most arguments here to lack much validity other than "I don't really like it", instead of addressing possible negative effects other than sidebar cluttering, despite the fact that it can be put at the bottom of the forum in a proper place that blends in with the layout so it doesn't look that weird when hidden, thus not bothering anybody that doesn't like it.

I dunno, I feel the resistence to this change rather silly, if it doesn't overload the servers there's little to no reason not to have it on the main page as the main purpose of Fuwachat should always be for members of Fuwa to communicate with each other, a goal that would benefit from this change.

I dunno, I feel the resistence to this change rather silly, if it doesn't overload the servers there's little to no reason not to have it on the main page as the main purpose of Fuwachat should always be for members of Fuwa to communicate with each other, a goal that would benefit from this change.

We must've posted at the same time : P. Server load is my only concern here. I messaged Nay on Skype to see what he thinks. If it's going to be processing-heavy, however, it's not going to happen. We've got current and future projects which need to be prioritized.

I think what's in question here is the reason people are not using it is because it's hidden in a different place that you have to reload your page to get into instead of just being instantly available the moment you load the main page, thus if we reversed this more people would use it.

I'm completely neutral since it doesn't affect me either way but I find most arguments here to lack much validity other than "I don't really like it", instead of addressing possible negative effects other than sidebar cluttering, despite the fact that it can be put at the bottom of the forum in a proper place that blends in with the layout so it doesn't look that weird when hidden, thus not bothering anybody that doesn't like it.

I dunno, I feel the resistence to this change rather silly, if it doesn't overload the servers there's little to no reason not to have it on the main page.

If you want to make the Forum look like Rainmeter or an anime streaming site (who have chat boxes everywhere) be my guess. 

It not like my opinion matters, because it can come into effect if Nay agrees to it.

I'll just have to minimise more features on forum.

I clearly don't need to state reasons that have already been said. Loading will be an issue 

I think two hyper-links is enough.... There no point trying to force something to be used when no one is even using it.

It is one of two:

1. The Shoutbox isn't used because it's hidden away behind the many already existing hyperlinks.
  2. The Shoutbox is just plain unpopular regardless of where it's at.

Now here's my opinion. Back when it started it had quite a few people using it (hype hype n' stuff), but over time that started to drop. Why? I conjecture that it may have something to do with the fact that people forget it exists, or need to leave the forum to use it. Annoyingly enough, if I want to use the shoutbox I need to leave the forum. Alternatively I open a new tab but that still means I have to go to the trouble of doing that.

That's my guess, anyways.

Either way, trying it out at least for a while would show us whether it's option 1 or 2. Putting the shoutbox on the front page isn't exactly the same as coercing people into using it, I dare say.

You said there's no point in trying to force something that people don't use, that's what I don't really agree with, because the reasons people are not using it can easily be attributed to a rather poor implementation of the feature rather than people just not wanting to use it.

Though it could absolutely also be the latter, if it's the former I don't see a reason why we shouldn't try to make it work a bit better and I feel this change would be the most efficient way to do it.

We must've posted at the same time : P. Server load is my only concern here. I messaged Nay on Skype to see what he thinks. If it's going to be processing-heavy, however, it's not going to happen. We've got current and future projects which need to be prioritized.

It must have been fate!

Yeah Nay was once talking about the fact that auto refresh can be process heavy, but it might have applied to the old server only so I guess we can only wait.

You need to think about the other uses who like to browse this site. Not everyone has your perfect internet. You need to make it compatible to everyone and not to just few. Having this could effect peoples experience browsing the front page of the forum. Not everyone reads, not everyone knows how to minimise. We did create pre-patched torrents after all :P

Shoutbox is not compatible with the mobile version of IPB so if it really is a strain on the device you're using (which it normally shouldn't be unless you have limited data usage or are using mobile data) you can easily switch layouts to acomodate your internet usage better, that's what the mobile theme was created for.

You need to think about the other uses who like to browse this site. Not everyone has your perfect internet. You need to make it compatible to everyone and not to just few. Having this could effect peoples experience browsing the front page of the forum. Not everyone reads, not everyone knows how to minimise. We did create pre-patched torrents after all :P

Then make it off by default and it has to be manually enabled.  Server problem solved, because only regulars will use it!

*Sips tea*

And so, Eclipsed has just started the 4th Great Fuwapocalypse.

Many perished from the onslaught of having a minimalizable Shoutbox intrude the main forums with its aesthetically ugliness and resource hogging corruption instead of being sealed away to rot on a separate dedicated webpage

Dis so hard to type mobile

Looking forward to the implementation ~

I like the small privacy that this chat offers and the low but consistent influx of regular users and discussions.

There was some interesting real time talk in there and I personnally don't want it to become too spammy or messy.

So, that's a no for me.

The Shoutbox is the first place I visit when I log in, it's a habit, and I like it that way.

I find the fact some people want Fuwachat to remain hidden and mostly unpopular kind of sad.

Fuwachat is meant to be public so members can interact, not a private little corner for you, that's what PMs are for.

It being public does not however inherently mean it'll be spam fest.

We have mods there for a reason, but as it stands the Fuwachat mods give out one warning every blue moon due to how deserted the place is.

Why not entrust them to moderate things?

IRC channels also have tons of users but they can stay decently moderated, and it's the same for Fuwachat in my opinion.

The main problem: Moderators... The only active moderator I've seen is kurisu. If it's going for the main forum then you should start recruiting new moderators just in case of spam and since it will be a "new thing" for a while it will be spammed alot...

I have mixed feelings over having it in the forums and not, so I don't really care where it is as long as it's not a place for just spam...

I find the fact some people want Fuwachat to remain hidden and mostly unpopular kind of sad.

Fuwachat is meant to be public so members can interact, not a private little corner for you, that's what PMs are for.

It being public does not however inherently mean it'll be spam fest.

We have mods there for a reason, but as it stands the Fuwachat mods give out one warning every blue moon due to how deserted the place is.

IRC channels also have tons of users but they can stay decently moderated, and it's the same for Fuwachat in my opinion.

Hah.. Yeah, it's been great in the past.

And the IRC is dead. Nothing to mod.

The fuwachat is already public, and the people who want to use it already do so.

It's a nice quite corner you can use from time to time. It was never meant to be something you HAVE to use or HAVE to see. Sure I know you kind hide it but it will pretty much be shoved in your face until you do. What's sad to me is how many features I have to remove. 

The main problem: Moderators... The only active moderator I've seen is kurisu. If it's going for the main forum then you should start recruiting new moderators just in case of spam and since it will be a "new thing" for a while it will be spammed alot...

I have mixed feelings over having it in the forums and not, so I don't really care where it is as long as it's not a place for just spam...

Main reason why I was against the chat box in the first place was the spam.

It was a new thing in the beginning and it didn't turn into spam then.

You only see Kurisu there because all other Fuwachat mods were removed since the amount of activity didn't justify that many mods.

If it were to be moved to the main page, more fuwachat mods would likely be added to moderate the chat.

Hah.. Yeah, it's been great in the past.

Fuwachat mods have, for the most part, done a pretty good job when it was required for them to intervene.

For the record, Global Moderators are not in charge of moderating fuwachat, though I have no problem intervening if something happens there and no one's available to take care of it. 

And the IRC is dead. Nothing to mod.

I'm not talking about the Fuwanovel IRC channel, just IRC channels in general.

The fuwachat is already public, and the people who want to use it already do so.

Again the point here is quick accessibility rather than visibility. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but it makes it easier to access for those who do.

It's a nice quite corner you can use from time to time.

It can still be.

It was never meant to be something you HAVE to use or HAVE to see. Sure I know you kind hide it but it will pretty much be shoved in your face until you do. 

Nobody's saying this.

Sure, it's an experiment, and putting it on the main page can also be an experiment to see how well it's received, if it changes activity significantly or not, and then we can compare results and feedback and make any necessary changes.

So instead of vehemently opposing testing it out, especially when the major complain is "I just don't want to look at it, pls don't" or "it'll be an ungodly spamfest" without any empirical evidence, why not see if it doesn't turn out to be a good thing in the end?

It's not that much in your face if it's literally at the bottom of the forum Index by the way, you would have to scroll all the way down to see it, so for the most part, the rest of the forum should remain as is in terms of looks, and if you hide it, you shouldn't even notice its presence since it's buried at the bottom.

For a feature being a click away from being used and which has 2 pretty obvious links on the front page I don't feel it's the most private thing ever and the people who would have wanted to join a conversation could have easily done so.

I highly encourage people to join the chat, but I don't want them to be forced to, as I believe that people how make the effort to click to talk to people have much more to say that those who wait for it to be under their cursor.

I'm only giving my opinion given this is a poll. My vote is a repercution of how I want it to be. And as a regular user of this chat, I like it the way it is.

For a feature being a click away from being used and which has 2 pretty obvious links on the front page I don't feel it's the most private thing ever and the people who would have wanted to join a conversation could have easily done so.

I highly encourage people to join the chat, but I don't want them to be forced to, as I believe that people how make the effort to click to talk to people have much more to say that those who wait for it to be under their cursor.

I'm only giving my opinion given this is a poll. My vote is a repercution of how I want it to be. And as a regular user of this chat, I like it the way it is.

I agree with maef and have been saying this from the start. The people who want to use it are already doing so. We have two links which direct to the chat box. It's going to be far more annoying to users if it's stuck on the main page where it shouldn't be.

I don't know why you quote "accessibility " all the time when the people who want to use it will be the ones who already do so. If you're really lazy to open the page to the chatbox you wouldn't want to use it anyway.

"you shouldn't even notice its presence since it's buried at the bottom."

Haven't you just been complaining people are not using it because they can't see it. Where here you're stating it's going to be buried at the bottom? I don't get you... If you want to make people use it and see it you're going to have to stick it in the awful sidebar.

I like the small privacy that this chat offers and the low but consistent influx of regular users and discussions.

There was some interesting real time talk in there and I personnally don't want it to become too spammy or messy.

So, that's a no for me.

The Shoutbox is the first place I visit when I log in, it's a habit, and I like it that way.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Shoutbox should be the place for chit-chat and spam, not the forums?  As I see it, the forums should be for discussions that have general relevance to the thousands of lurkers who visit every day and never post anything; this is content that should be logged and indexed for eternity (or until the next Apocalypse).  The shoutbox should be for fun and games, getting to know people, and generally just passing time--discussions that no one will care about a few weeks or even a few years from now.

That's why I think that the shoutbox is important, even if I don't necessarily have much use for it myself.  If it forestalls the creation of a couple spam threads a day, it'll have served its purpose.