Shoutbox on Main Forum

Eclipsed

Shoutbox on Forum Main Page  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Shoutbox on Forum Main Page?

This poll is closed to new votes

Another, more serious ( :Kappa:) quality of life superfluous suggestion: make shoutbox accessible on the main forums, towards the bottom so it's non obtrusive.

rCfBPYA.png

To all the peeps 'I dun use so it's an outright horrible, detrimental and harmful idea that should not be implemented', there can be an option to minimize:

qPC4AAj.png

P.S. T-ara <3

UPDATE: Failure. Breaks the site upon implementation. May look into 3rd party chat software in the future.

In-general the shoutbox's implementation is such that it's a bit out of the way to get to at the moment.  Putting it at the front means it'll be right there for anyone who scrolls to the bottom, and can probably jump onto the conversation on a moment's notice.  It's going to boost activity by quite a bit from what I can tell.

I'm neutral on this. The chat is kinda unknown around here, so in the main forum page would lead for it to get more noticeable. I prefer it as it is, but I can deal with anything that comes (unless it's an overflow of users, that I can't really deal with, except running away) so yea, whatever comes is fine by me.

As long as there's an option to minimise, imo it's a good idea and worth a try. Sometimes I think Tay put the Fuwachat where he did just to troll people :P

"Yes I'll give you your beloved chat program. Please proceed past the treacherous and trap-infested tunnels, through the chambers filled with poisonous gas, down The-Hidden-Staircase-of-Balthazar ...:"

It's a pain to use and it will probably die where it is, but it was brought in for a specific purpose. Which it's not really achieving in such an out-of-the-way place. But I recognise it's probably well down on the "Things to decide on" list.

I wont give a good reason for why not.

but no thanks to me. 

*im a rebel*

I'll accept 'Because Lewy said no thanks' :3

My worry would be unnecessarily increase on the load time every time you want to go to the forum index.

Stop using Dial Up :sachi: Jk, a valid concern indeed.

~~

Did Tay give any reasons to @Marie-hime and @Rooke for why no main forum / index? Overload servers, aesthetically unpleasing, etc.?

We're a team ;)

Anyway I just feel it's good where it is, don't see any reason to change it

Indeed. Why the hell would we have a shoutbox somewhere visible? That would, like, give it purpose or something.

We like this mostly dead shoutbox where only a select group of members occasionally participate in.

Indeed. Why the hell would we have a shoutbox somewhere visible? That would, like, give it purpose or something.

We like this mostly dead shoutbox where only a select group of members occasionally participate in.

Welp I was against the creation of the chat box. And it is visible 

4FDVfCF.png

2Q5od15.png

Do you want to make a headline in comic sans (with font size 72) and say "come to the chat box, I'm lonely"? I'm sure that would attract a few people ;)

It's visible enough. If people wanted to use it they would. 

Did Tay give any reasons to @Marie-hime and @Rooke for why no main forum / index? Overload servers, aesthetically unpleasing, etc.?

Don't think I ever laid out my reasoning publicly, so here were the three reasons why I took it off the index footer/index sidebar:

1. It looks kinda crappy, imo
  2. My technical know-how is limited and I wasn't sure what effect it would have for people with crappy bandwidth (like me right now!)
  3. I wasn't sure what strain that would put on the server (remember: the shoutbox was implemented before the server move, so this was a major concern).

If Nay say's it won't be a big deal, I'd be okay adding it temporarily to the index footer -- but only for users who are logged in. We get >11k users each day, and loading that shoubox every time just has to be a heavy load.... but I don't know that myself, I"m just making an assumption. Nay's call.

EDIT: As computer power isn't infinite, my priority is/will probably always be keeping site features running smoothly. Changes are cool as long as they don't start impacting the larger, more important site software.