Dark Souls

HopefullyAHero

I dunno, the Stray Demon felt kinda unfair.  I didn't know that there was a trap when I returned to the Undead Asylum, and I spent over and hour trying to kill that bastard before just giving up and leaving.  I'm going to come back and murder him towards the end of the game, because I just couldn't do it then or now.  I even looked up tips to killing him and I still couldn't do it.  Might be my build (not using a guide, so I probably have crappily allocated stats), but I can't imagine it would be much easier if I just increased a few stats.

Most of his attacks are quite heavily telegraphed and not too hard to dodge, especially if you try to get behind him. The only problem is the huge damage and AoE in the fire blast. Stray Demon is also meant to be late mid-game boss (after Anor Londo or while doing it), so it's no surprise to get slaughtered by him early in the game.

The trap to Stray Demon is one of the most genius things in the game.

If pay attention to your surroundings, orientation and the layout of the level you can notice the trap and the Stray Demon under it from the very beginning of the game. It's visible from the first hallway. Not that I would expect anyone to actually notice it and realize that floor will break on your second coming, but it's possible.

I dunno, the Stray Demon felt kinda unfair.  I didn't know that there was a trap when I returned to the Undead Asylum, and I spent over and hour trying to kill that bastard before just giving up and leaving.  I'm going to come back and murder him towards the end of the game, because I just couldn't do it then or now.  I even looked up tips to killing him and I still couldn't do it.  Might be my build (not using a guide, so I probably have crappily allocated stats), but I can't imagine it would be much easier if I just increased a few stats.

SPOILERS

Not really spoilers  :P  If you're surprised that there's a boss in every major area of Dark Souls, then I really don't know what to tell you.  I didn't mention where the trap is, either, so if you ever play Dark Souls again, I'm pretty sure you'll fall for it, the same way I did.

Most of his attacks are quite heavily telegraphed and not too hard to dodge, especially if you try to get behind him. The only problem is the huge damage and AoE in the fire blast. Stray Demon is also meant to be late mid-game boss (after Anor Londo or while doing it), so it's no surprise to get slaughtered by him early in the game.

The trap to Stray Demon is one of the most genius things in the game.

If pay attention to your surroundings, orientation and the layout of the level you can notice the trap and the Stray Demon under it from the very beginning of the game. It's visible from the first hallway. Not that I would expect anyone to actually notice it and realize that floor will break on your second coming, but it's possible.

I got behind him once, but I didn't know to stay away from him when I wasn't attacking, so he killed me quite easily (might have been with his magic blast, I don't remember).  Never got that close to him again without him one-shotting me, so I just gave up.  To quote the Navy Seal copypasta, I'm going to "shit fury" all over him when I return to the Undead Asylum for the third and final time.  I'm quite looking forward to that moment, because, man, that was the most infuriating boss fight I've been in so far.

Not really spoilers :P If you're surprised that there's a boss in every major area of Dark Souls, then I really don't know what to tell you. I didn't mention where the trap is, either, so if you ever play Dark Souls again, I'm pretty sure you'll fall for it, the same way I did.

I was talking about returning to the Asylum, not having a boss there.

Aaaah.  Well, there's items you can't get there the first time, so I knew that I'd have to come back at least once.  There's a broken stairway with an item there that I spent 10 minutes trying to reach the first time I played, and I realized that it was impossible to get at that time and just gave up.

• 6 months later...

ive had an on and off relationship with dark souls. i think this is about the fourth time ive started completely over. each time ive quit i thought i would never come back to it but i do. mostly its because of the op. its just so engaging and mysteries. you get some insight into this world and more questions pop up.

anywho, i think ive been doing ok for the most part. im at the painting part. i just turned the statue and im just exploring before i go on. i saw some massive creature on the other side of the fog so im gonna take my time for now. i dont have any of the dlc although i wish i did. would love to experience more of this game.

Sorry, late to the thread.

On 8/29/2015 at 2:36 AM, Zenophilious said:

Just stumbled on a Dark Souls fan video made using Source Filmmaker.  It might have some spoilers, so if you're like me and still haven't finished the game, be forewarned.  I'm pretty sure they're just references to things that happen, and aren't full-on spoilers, but I thought I should have a spoiler warning anyway.

That video sent shivers down my spine, considering how accurate the little pieces of the lore found throughout the game have been put togethe, with some added fan speculation/head canon. Simply amazing and beautiful.

It especially broke my heart to see Kirk, Knight of Thorns become a Red Phantom to be able to supply The Fair Lady/Quelaan with Humanity. Magnificent.

Rushing through 2 right now in preparations for 3, don't think I'm going to make it. I'll probably come back to it after the third one since I don't really like how second is so very cheap about being super, duper hard, yet failing to nail down any of the nuances that made the original such a blast to play.

On the issue of difficulty, it's funny how I died more often to Gwyn (refusing to cheese the fight through parrying) compared to all of the DLC fights combined, even without my 3 deaths to Manus trying to cut his tail, and 2 more doing the same with Kalameet, only to kill him in that very same try. Hoping to see some more of Artorias in 3, since his boss fight seems to point to the future of what the Soulsborne series would become.

Oh, also @mitchhamilton take your time. Your sugary sweet time before rushing into things there. 

7 minutes ago, Nayleen said:

Sorry, late to the thread. That video sent shivers down my spine, considering how accurate the little pieces of the lore found throughout the game have been put togethe, with some added fan speculation/head canon. Simply amazing and beautiful.

It especially broke my heart to see Kirk, Knight of Thorns become a Red Phantom to be able to supply The Fair Lady/Quelaan with Humanity. Magnificent.

Rushing through 2 right now in preparations for 3, don't think I'm going to make it. I'll probably come back to it after the third one since I don't really like how second is so very cheap about being super, duper hard, yet failing to nail down any of the nuances that made the original such a blast to play.

On the issue of difficulty, it's funny how I died more often to Gwyn (refusing to cheese the fight through parrying) compared to all of the DLC fights combined, even without my 3 deaths to Manus trying to cut his tail, and 2 more doing the same with Kalameet, only to kill him in that very same try. Hoping to see some more of Artorias in 3, since his boss fight seems to point to the future of what the Soulsborne series would become.

thats why i didnt like darks souls 2 as much as one. it really shows that the two games were made by different people. level design can be odd at times as well. for instance theres a lava area that comes right of nowhere. it makes no sense on how its connected to the rest of the area. you go into a building, take a elevator and all of a sudden, lava everywhere.

anyways, im about to fight gwyn. i gave all the souls to the cup thingy, and entered to the last area, fought those giant guys with shields, and went into the giant Colosseum like place. before going in there i had a peak to see if there might be a boss in there and just assumed there wasnt. went in the fog and saw gwyn. immediately went "Nope!" and used a homeward bone. gonna level up a bit so i can use the greatsword that does the most damage against gwyn. was debating for the longest time on whether or not to consume boss souls since i couldnt get a definite answer on whether i can get them back on NG+. finally found an answer and now im just getting more souls as mentioned before.

thank you Nayleen. :D

They're also used to craft niche weapons at the Giant blacksmith, which are needed for the Knight's Honor (collecting all rare weapons) achievement if you're into those.

I'm normally not, but still went through the game 3 times just for the sake of it, I just loved it that much after beating the game for the first time. Now any subsequent playthroughs can be as crazy as I want them to be without me worrying about any of them. :sachi:

Just now, Nayleen said:

They're also used to craft niche weapons at the Giant blacksmith, which are needed for the Knight's Honor (collecting all rare weapons) achievement if you're into those.

I'm normally not, but still went through the game 3 times just for the sake of it, I just loved it that much after beating the game for the first time. Now any subsequent playthroughs can be as crazy as I want them to be without me worrying about any of them. :sachi:

thats good. :mare:

i thought about using them for achievements but i figured im gonna play ng+ so ill just do it then. i dont care all that much for achievements especially with gwyn so close. i cant even imagine the amount of time i need to set aside to get them now. :marie: plus i have some pretty good weapons and armor dont really need new ones. im only concentrating on the greatsword because im at the end of the game anyways and only have a few levels to go before i can wield it effectively. also found out recently how to tell good and bad shields apart and found out ive been upgrading a shield thats poo in comparison to others. :wafuu:

just beat gwyn. took me three tries to do it. gotta say, im kind of let down by the ending. did i miss something with the credits? i kept switching from my 360 to my pc and dont know if i missed something or not.

well gwynn gave me some trouble but i figured out that rolling seems to help with his swing attacks, staying close and circling his right when hes about to grab you helped as well. i had probably the fattest armor in the game so one roll allowed me to doge two of his swings. :D

like i said the ending sort of felt lackluster. not even a narration or even a two minute cutscene. :(

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

just beat gwyn. took me three tries to do it. gotta say, im kind of let down by the ending. did i miss something with the credits? i kept switching from my 360 to my pc and dont know if i missed something or not.

well gwynn gave me some trouble but i figured out that rolling seems to help with his swing attacks, staying close and circling his right when hes about to grab you helped as well. i had probably the fattest armor in the game so one roll allowed me to doge two of his swings. :D

like i said the ending sort of felt lackluster. not even a narration or even a two minute cutscene. :(

Like I told you before in the spam chat :P the lore and the story of this game is not told in a normal way, if you want to learn more about it do not talk to frampt not even once and once you beat the 4 kings in the abyss you will see and learn more about the story...

Spoiler

the ending was good I mean you either create a new dark age(by walking away from the "battle area") and you become the new king for this new "human era" (if you do what I said before in the abyss you will understand what this mean :P ) or you sacrifice yourself lighting the last bonefire, breaking the curse and thus creating a fire age, which is what frampt asked you to do...this is rather silly because sooner or later the flame will go out creating a new dark age again so i think the true ending should be the dark age one :P 

but yes it looks a bit anticlimactic the first time you play it, except for the piano music while you fight gwyn which is freaking awesome:sacchan:

Yea...well....there are two ending of dakr souls

1) You either burn yourself so the fire could burn and the world of light could live once again

2) You abandon the fire, exit the chasm and become the prince of dakness marking the end of the world

[/spoiler]

Anyway, i beat first DS about 20 times, saved sunbro, finished every character story lines, did runs without shield and with weird type of weapons had alot of fun.

Second one i beat around 4 times..i felt like DLCs was far superior to an original DS2 and i also think DS was better than DS2, level design was kinda meh....

Can't wait for thirdone! Already preordered it and cant wait for tomorrow's evening to praise the sun! I skipped on all videos and previews to go ingame completely blind....i hope it worth it! :mare:

Hype..... *game crashes* FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:sacchan:

btw if anyone is having problems using the stick button to Jump you can change this in the controls setting, just change it to B or O in ps3 joystick :P and there you have it the double tap B jump, (using the stick sucks and it's almost impossible for me to do)

So far the game is good, a bit fast and as a warrior I'm doing shit tons of damage... looks a bit easy so far, also you roll around like a maniac moving non stop I don't really like that, but everything else feels more like dark souls 1 than dark souls 2, the hits, how you walk, the animations, everything (except for the speed and rolls) which is a good thing.

27 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Hype..... *game crashes* FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:sacchan:

btw if anyone is having problems using the stick button to Jump you can change this in the controls setting, just change it to B or O in ps3 joystick :P and there you have it the double tap B jump, (using the stick sucks and it's almost impossible for me to do)

So far the game is good, a bit fast and as a warrior I'm doing shit tons of damage... looks a bit easy so far, also you roll around like a maniac moving non stop I don't really like that, but everything else feels more like dark souls 1 than dark souls 2, the hits, how you walk, the animations, everything (except for the speed and rolls) which is a good thing.

rip.

good luck to you as well deep! *salutes*

1 minute ago, mitchhamilton said:

rip.

good luck to you as well deep! *salutes*

good luck to you too Mitch sMLM5Ku.gif
btw im playing offline since it disconnects frequently and every time it does it just kicks me out of the game and the load is several minutes before were I was... is like the save files from offline and online gameplay are different or the game saves them in different moments, really weird, first time I see something like this in a souls game

2 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

good luck to you too Mitch sMLM5Ku.gif
btw im playing offline since it disconnects frequently and every time it does it just kicks me out of the game and the load is several minutes before were I was... is like the save files from offline and online gameplay are different or the game saves them in different moments, really weird, first time I see something like this in a souls game

maybe its their servers acting up? i wish i knew but i cant play it. :mare:

Just now, Deep Blue said:

Played a bit more, it's not easy xD some enemies are really challenging, probably the hardest dark souls so far, it also feels like a dark souls too. Very happy with it and I havent been experiencing any crashes either

thats good to hear. its nice that the original team came back for DS3. i could sense it even in the trailers. cant wait to play this.