Windows 10 Visual Novel Compatiblity

Kaytwice

to clarify: Win 10 will launch on July 29th globally.

to clarify #2: Win 10 is now on consumer build phase. I know this because I'm an insider myself. Latest build is quite polished and the issues are minimal.

I exported my VN collection to my win 10 partition and so far 100% of them are working. Here's the list:

* Chaos Head - flawless

* Da Capo - Flawless

* Da Capo 2 - Flawless + better performance than on 8

* ef the first tale - Flawless + audio no longer gives problems

* ef the latter tale - Flawless

* Fate Stay Night - Flawless

* Go Go Nippon! - Flawless

* Muv Luv (Series) - Flawless

* I/0 - Flawless

* Kanon - Flawless

* Clannad - Flawless

* Air - Needs running as admin

* Ever 17 - Needs running in compat mode for win 7

* Little Busters - Flawless

* Little Busters EX/ME - Flawless

* Da Capo 3 - Flawless

* Koisuru Nasu Love Resort - Flawless

* To Heart2 - Needs running in compat mode for win 7

* Hoshisora e kakaru Hashi - Flawless

* Noble Works - Flawless

* Majikoi - Flawless

* Majikoi S - Flawless

* Majikoi A-1 - Flawless

* Hoshimemo - Flawless

* Hoshimemo EH - Same issues as other OS's (requires changing time zone to JP) fast fix = AlphaROMdiE

* Osadai - Flawless, (no longer needs win8 patch)

* Osadai FD - Flawless

* Rewrite - Flawless

* Harvest festa - Flawless

* Shuffle! - Flawless

* Really! Really? - Flawless

* Imouto Paradise - Flawless + better performance than on 8

* Boob wars (series) - Flawless + better performance than on 8

* Princess evangile - Flawless + better performance than on 8

* Yu-No - Flawless

* Duel Savior - Requires running in compat mode win xp

* Come see me tonight (series) - flawless

* Sharin no Kuni - NoDVD fix no longer works, requires ISO to be mounted when playing

* Sharin no Kuni FD - Same as above

* Dengeki Stryker - Flawless

* Snow Sakura - Flawless

* Stein's Gate - Flawless

* Grisaia (series) - Flawless + better performance than on 8

This is my personal collection, there may be more VN's that are compatible  but I will add them when I test them again for core release of win 10.

* Sharin no Kuni - NoDVD fix no longer works, requires ISO to be mounted when playing

* Sharin no Kuni FD - Same as above

Do you use Daemontools or something else? That was another concern of mine - if ISO mounting software would still work.

EDIT (abit OT, but meh): And emulators such as snes, pcsx2, etc~

Windows is telling me to "reserve your free upgrade". If I don't don't click that than I can keep my lovely windows 7 right? I feel like Microsoft isn't beneath forcing this damn new operating system through my mouth by including it in an automatic update. I really don't want windows 10. Am I safe?   

Windows is telling me to "reserve your free upgrade". If I don't don't click that than I can keep my lovely windows 7 right? I feel like Microsoft isn't beneath forcing this damn new operating system through my mouth by including it in an automatic update. I really don't want windows 10. Am I safe?

If you don't reserve it, you're fine.

Only other thing I can think of are codecs. Not many do, but a few VNs require codecs typically found in community codec packs; wonder if win10 is similar enough to win7 that htey can be streamlined into the new OS.

Win 10 comes with preloaded codecs for most video formats. It includes .MKV and other less common ones.

Unless you use super obscure video formats, you won't need to install extra codecs on windows 10.

Edit: if you watch 10bit anime, you will need extra codecs.

Why WOULDN'T you want Windows 10? 

Win 10 comes with preloaded codecs for most video formats. It includes .MKV and other less common ones.

Unless you use super obscure video formats, you won't need to install extra codecs on windows 10.

Edit: if you watch 10bit anime, you will need extra codecs.

I never had issues with 10bit, then again I always install the Kawaii Codec Pack right off the bat so that could very well be it.

Either that or there will be a free version and a paid subscription version that will get the best nonessential updates.  I can't think of any other way they could still make money off of Windows otherwise.

I think people are forgetting that the free upgrade is a limited-time offer, and also that new copies of Windows for new PCs won't be free.  Microsoft is just trying to increase early adoption.  People never went off to buy a new version of Windows for an already existing PC in the first place; any sales loss will be minimal.

Do games that only say they work on 7, 8, and 8.1 work?

I'm probably gonna back up some files/folders, then do their 'clean install' or whatever MS said it's named.

Edit: Not for just VNs, but because this PC needs a clean install since I never owned a 7/8/8.1 CD or key code.

Yes, virtually everything that works on Windows 8 should work on Windows 10. There's no guarantees, there will probably be a few odd ones out, but there's no good reason why they wouldn't work. This is not like the jump from xp to vista, or 7 to 8.

Yes, virtually everything that works on Windows 8 should work on Windows 10. There's no guarantees, there will probably be a few odd ones out, but there's no good reason why they wouldn't work. This is not like the jump from xp to vista, or 7 to 8.

This is what I had originally thought to myself. MS' official 'check if your PC can be updated to 10' read my stuff was good aside from drivers which the devs or whoever would have to update.  Do note I have never upgraded to those OS systems on my own PC, but I have bought various PCs that have it pre-installed  that ran XP, Vista, or 8. Finally, 7 was my final stop when my old PC broke and I just stuck it out with a pre-build. :)

I was just making sure is all! Thanks for your response

Since I saw Windows 10 had awesome Desktop Start Menu I thought I want to upgrade it as well and I was a bit worry as well if it will works to play my VNs, but according to Douggle above seem like it's working well.

Now all my worries for it's gone, when my PC is coming on Tuesday I will immediately upgrade my Windows 8.1 to 10. 

How long does it take to upgrade?

I have never had any problem with CCCP? 

What is different between CCCP and Kawaii Code Pack?

Why WOULDN'T you want Windows 10? 

Because Microsoft has a bad history of releasing half-assed new operating systems. I'm always at least a generation behind to ensure that I use something that is good. For instance, I used XP when Vista was the newest system, and I bought a win 7 laptop when windows 8 was new. To put it quite simply, I hardly trust Microsoft; but I'm too lazy to hassle myself with Linux. 

On top of that, I'm not a particularly techy person. So long as I can watch all my anime and read all my VNs without a problem, I'm happy. Also, I like familiarity. I don't like change as it's a pain in the ass to deal with. So that's why I personally don't want Windows 10. 

No need to get used for Windows 8.1 , better try to get used for Windows 10. 

I probably would used some similar looking as Windows 7 but if I can organize is better way I will do so.

I will have a nice looking desktop and good performance.

See I never had an issue with 8 since I am a regular gamer on top of a VN reader, I get better FPS out of my games running windows 8 then I do in 7. And I ve already ran the technical preview which is quite solid despite it being a beta build.

It would be great if somebody could reply to my questions above. 

No need to get used for Windows 8.1 , better try to get used for Windows 10. 

I probably would used some similar looking as Windows 7 but if I can organize is better way I will do so.

I will have a nice looking desktop and good performance.

It would be great if somebody could reply to my questions above. 

If you do an "upgrade" install it depends on how many programs you have installed

Different filters and stuff for CCCP

KCP is optimized for 10 bit video.

to clarify: Win 10 will launch on July 29th globally.

to clarify #2: Win 10 is now on consumer build phase. I know this because I'm an insider myself. Latest build is quite polished and the issues are minimal.

I exported my VN collection to my win 10 partition and so far 100% of them are working. Here's the list:

(Insert list of VNs that are Flawless)

This is my personal collection, there may be more VN's that are compatible but I will add them when I test them again for core release of win 10.

Well you've convinced me! Now I no longer fear Win 10. I will probably upgrade once I'm forced to.

Well you've convinced me! Now I no longer fear Win 10. I will probably upgrade once I'm forced to.

Yeah I've pretty much decided to get it over with too - I'm just wiondering what tweaks I'll have to make again, that I made with win7 and completely forgot about (such as disabling UAC and other such stuff)