Windows 10 Visual Novel Compatiblity

Kaytwice

Hey Guys,

Like the Topic said.. is someone using the windows 10 preview version and tried to play VN's?

I'm scared that when i update to win10 i can't play my lovely games anymore xD

Did somebody tried this or has any other expierence?

I have tried it with only few and newer VNs. (Dracu-riot, Aokana, HoshiMemo, Yosuga no Sora...) They all work like they should but I noticed that ITH stopped working after the latest W10 update. I don't know if it's only my PC or the W10. I guess you might want to wait for a while when it's ready and see if someone complains about VNs not working.

Edit: Tried VNR and it works 

It's still not officially finalized, they've only made an Insider Preview for users to test, they don't even recommend you install it on your main PC.

I'd say, unless you have a 2nd PC, don't get Windows 10 yet.

Alternatively, back up your files so you can reinstall your previous OS.

If you do decide to install a new OS, ALWAYS back up your files in case you don't like it and want to roll back to the previous OS.  I learned that the hard way when I updated our family's desktop to Mavericks without doing so.

That said, there isn't much of a reason to install Windows 10 right now, so I'd recommend holding off.

The technical previews roll out periodically to the Windows Insiders group, not to the general public. That's a really good thing, too, because like what Nosebleed said, the previews not only have bugs, but Microsoft will deploy many versions of a technical build with slight tweaks to the insiders and then compare performance. (So when you read threads about it on other sites and people are arguing about a VN's performance on Win10, chances are good they're both right and simply got different builds)

The notes that they sent out to Insiders just after Ignite make it clear that trying to nail down the OS's capabilities and compatibility with older software is a fool's errand until later in the summer.

We're going to have to sit tight on this one and wait a little longer.

wow.. so many answers =DD

Well.. thats what i thought =P

I already thought that many VN's are running anyway.. but ITH is doing problems? Thats not gonna happen then xD.

If i install this then only on my second Laptop^^

Thanks for your help

If something works, there's no point in updating, unless they force you to.

aka if you have Windows 7 and you like Windows 7 you don't have to update, if you have Windows 8 it sucks the poorly drawn underlay of a VNs mosaic D and you should update it.

Windows 8 was created with the idea of integrating touch screen computers with an easier interface. Problem is they didn't really have a touchscreen computer market beforehand and you get a bunch of crappy interface on nontouchscreens.

aka if you have Windows 7 and you like Windows 7 you don't have to update, if you have Windows 8 it sucks the poorly drawn underlay of a VNs mosaic D and you should update it.

Windows 8 was created with the idea of integrating touch screen computers with an easier interface. Problem is they didn't really have a touchscreen computer market beforehand and you get a bunch of crappy interface on nontouchscreens.

win 8 and 10 are designed for being used on tablets with a different cpu architecture aka ARM , that's the real improvement of these new OS the ARM support (and not just x86-64 like before) the touch screen support is there since win xp (believe it or not even if it is a bit clumsy you dont even need to install different drivers for that) but yeah the integrated touch screen interface is an improvement or a step backward to the rest of the normal pc users that don't want a shitty interface when they use a mouse and keyboard, depends on the angle you are looking at it :P

Basically, Microsoft just wants one OS they can use across all devices, it makes things easier on their end, and they had the hope it would help increase adoption of windows mobile devices if people were more familiar with the OS from using it at home. It didn't turn out very well for them with Windows 8, but 10 is meant to be the best of both worlds, so we'll see how that goes. 

Compatibility is going to be an issue, though. If Windows 10 adoption is widespread (it should be, it's free for 7 and 8 users), maybe companies will be more proactive in releasing compatibility patches/updated versions. But aside from that, you'll have to use virtual machines, which actually work fairly well with VNs. 

Mmm... if it isn't compatible, I hesitate to do the conversion... I have a gaming pc I might consider it for, because it is high-spec enough to handle DirectX 12 games - potentially.  However, it would be wasteful to use it with this computer.  For one thing, this is my VN computer, and it is counterproductive to disable your VN-computer to play VNs on a new os, lol.

Mmm... if it isn't compatible, I hesitate to do the conversion... I have a gaming pc I might consider it for, because it is high-spec enough to handle DirectX 12 games - potentially.  However, it would be wasteful to use it with this computer.  For one thing, this is my VN computer, and it is counterproductive to disable your VN-computer to play VNs on a new os, lol.

even for a gamer...dx12 is not really something many games will benefit from or even use at all...dx11 its been out for years now and very few games use it or benefit from it, so why the rush to use a beta OS that it is clearly designed for mobile devices and tablets.

even for a gamer...dx12 is not really something many games will benefit from or even use at all...dx11 its been out for years now and very few games use it or benefit from it, so why the rush to use a beta OS that it is clearly designed for mobile devices and tablets.

Well, for demanding games, DX12 will be great in the future. Also, Win 10 is making pretty big steps to be more of a desktop OS.

Part of it is that they are hinting they intend to discontinue services and updates for the earlier versions of Windows (much earlier than they did with XP) - though those hints are buried in the publicity so far - and that can be a huge problem if you have a computer you need to keep secure.  To be honest, I couldn't believe how shitty 8 was when I trialed it before it came out, so I just ignored it afterward, mocking anyone stupid enough to get it on their new computers.

Edit: It is actually kind of a miracle they still have services and updates for 7... though that is because of the disproportionate number of users who won't have anything to do with 8.

I do think that 10 looks better than 8... but I do wish they took into account the active dislike of people who don't want anything to do with touchscreens outside of a smartphone or a Nintendo portable.

sadly the whole market is moving into that direction (even gaming companies) so as consumers there isn't much we can do about it except not buying their products or giving them support (but clearly we are a minorities in the whole market and companies dont give a shit in the first place)