TyranoBuilder - New Visual Novel Engine

Darklord Rooke

Publisher Nyu Media has teamed up with Japanese developer STRIKEWORKS to bring us a new visual novel engine called TyranoBuilder. It will be released on Steam for Windows and Mac on March 27th. It’ll cost $14.99. There are no license fees or royalties attached to it.

The claim from the two companies is that this is the “easiest and fastest” way to make visual novels out there. It has a visual drag-and-drop interface for amateurs but also as in-built scripting for more advanced users. Visual novels made with TyranoBuilder will export to Windows, Mac, HTML5, CSS3, iOS, and Android. However, iOS and Android do require a free third party software for conversion, all of which is covered in the tutorial.

“With this release, we’re hoping not only to boost the popularity of visual novels outside of Japan, but also to create a new generation of game developers,” Nyu Media said. “TyranoBuilder opens up to game creation and game-based storytelling to people who find tools like GameMaker Studio, Unity, script-based visual novel engines, etc. too difficult to use or too time-consuming to learn.”

If you’re looking for any more information on TyranoBuilder then check out its website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310BjKiIPAk

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/20/nyu-media-announces-easiest-and-fastest-visual-novel-engine-tyranobuilder/

It will probably not support Sim or gameplay segments, and it will be much more limited than Ren'Py, but otherwise it doesn't look bad? I dunno.

I can see the appeal in it. It's very newbie friendly with the whole drag and drop assets thing and the fact that you don't need to know any kind of programming language.

But if you want to make anything more unique outside of the scope of "trigger flags, get routes", this wouldn't cut it.

Still though, it's nice to know there are less "scary" alternatives to Ren'Py :P

I approve.

Sounds like something that'll grab some money off would-be content creators who either don't know about renpy or are two scared of scripting to give something as simple as renpy a chance. They either put out silly content or realize it is too limited to do anything they'd like and either give up on developing again or make the jump to a more proper engine.

the only problem i see its not be able to add "battle systems, love/hate count system, cutscene, and art (so many people are going to scream at me...) " within tyranobuilder. the only thing useful would be the htm5 export everything else can be done by renpy. i have no clue why tryanobuilder even added CSS has their language program that kind of stuff is for experts who have years of training. lastly 14.99 is a rip off, i can easy build 1 novel in renpy that looks identical to tyranobuilder in just 1 day.

my review is 0/10 i call this program a cheat engine. (cheat engine: a program that limits the user and requires money to unlock better stuff)

I never tried to make a vn, I didn't even watch the video (actually can't my net is way too slow), but that "engine" sounds fishy to me. All drag and drop stuff I've worked with in alot of stuff never really worked as I wanted, doubt this will be an exception. And actually from the vns I've played (not many, still a newbie) I've noticed that it would be rather simple to make then in C++/C# and I would rather use that instead of a engine like that. The only thing that really would interest me would be the multiple platforms exporter or whatever it is...

“TyranoBuilder opens up to game creation and game-based storytelling to people who find tools like GameMaker Studio, Unity, script-based visual novel engines, etc. too difficult to use or too time-consuming to learn.”

Sorry but if this is the reason for it's existence then it shouldn't even exist. Honestly something that's supposed to be good is supposed to be time consuming and difficult. If things are too easy you run the risk of having an overload of terrible stuff around ruining the name of the good stuff and by the end everything is ruined.

This is all my opinion. kthxbai.

I wouldn't say this is terrible.

It's super limited sure, but for the average commoner that just wants to write a simple visual novel in ADV style (no gameplay, just sprites, background, music and writing) this really makes the process a whole lot simpler and I don't think that's a negative side, personally.

I don't see this as a lazy way out because this is not even a way out to begin with, it's not like this is meant to create masterpieces with lots of unique elements, it's just a tool to make simple ADV style visual novels with or without branching paths. And on that end, it's perfectly fitting if you're not the kind that's really into learning programming language.

Yeah, Visual Novels are a writer's and artists domain - it really is just a natural evolution of the storytelling medium. But not THAT many writers and artists know how to program, and Ren'Py CAN be daunting for people unfamiliar with coding. I agree with Tay, it's a nice way to bring people in and then slowly guide them towards Ren'Py.

I'm sticking with my "gateway drug" approach. After all, a rising tide lifts all sh -- *Looks at Rooke* *makes a mildly rude gesture* -- nevermind.  

A lot of the comments in here (and on the site linked, coincidentally) are freaking bullshit, since we don't even know how deep the scripting support goes and what will be offered out-of-the-box. Just a lot of assumptions thrown around.

Point in case: Both UE4 and Unity have scripting support and drag-and-drop, "no programming experience needed" features built-in nowadays to allow for inexperienced people to develop games using those engines as well.

Both UE4 and Unity have scripting support and drag-and-drop, "no programming experience needed" features built-in nowadays to allow for inexperienced people to develop games using those engines as well.

Really? 0.0 If I wasn't so tired I'd go look this up immediately. I thought knowledge of C# was mandatory.

Nope, not anymore. And C# is a really valuable skill to have, either way.

Unity uses either a super-set of JavaScript (called Unity Script) featuring OOP (instead of JavaScript's Prototype-based class system) or Boo, which is based on Python, both of which are then compiled up to C#.

UnrealScript is, what I would call a Java-derivative, an object-oriented programming language that has a lot of shortcuts, but is a lot more verbose than either UnityScript or Boo.