Western Animated Movies and Cartoons General Discussion

Discuss anything related to those media here. 

First I'll say some movies I love and some I hate. The ones I love:

- Pretty much every single Disney movie before the creation of CGI

- Toy Story, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Finding Nemo, Cars

- Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron

- Charlotte's Web

- The Land Before Time

Now some I hate:

- Despicable Me

- Wreck It Ralph

- Tangled

- Frozen (though better than stuff like Despicable me, this is the worst Disney movie ever made)

- How to train your dragon

- Mr. Peabody and Sherman

Disney's and other companies' quality has been declining since CGI. There were some great CGI movies, but none of them were as great as most 2D. Sigh, it's really painful to know there probably won't be any more awesome animated movies like Aladdin, Mulan, The Lion King, The Sleeping Beauty, The Fox and the Hound, Bambi, etc.

Now some cartoons I love:

- Wander over Yonder (my favorite)

- Lilo & Stitch

- Star vs The Forces of Evil

- Kim Possible

- RC9GN

Use this thread to talk about recent animated movies you've watched or cartoons you're watching.

You probably just grew up and so all the classics from childhood you thought were awesome and now modern stuff you pull a Toy Story Andy go to college bb lates toys

Despicable me is hella overrated indeed. Dem minions are so NOT cute at all yet all my friends are like D'AWWWWWWW while I'm just smh

Never watched Frozen but man when it came out that was all people were talkin' bout "DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN" 

inb4 Avatar: The Last Airbender

After thinking about it for a while, I actually never watched any american cartoons.  I grew up on public TV which meant I watched 4kids, which comprised almost entirely of eng dubs of anime.  Hell even half the movies I watched were anime.  I remember Kiki's Delivery Service as one of the movies I watched when I was little.

As for Disney, I really never watched them either.  Pixar was the only studio I actually watched.

Dem minions are so NOT cute at all yet all my friends are like D'AWWWWWWW while I'm just smh

+1

Disney is a conspiracy, I don't like the company itself so I don't bother watching their movies.

Nowadays cartoons are pretty ugly, it's almost painful to watch such quality drop.

Despicable me is hella overrated indeed. Dem minions are so NOT cute at all yet all my friends are like D'AWWWWWWW while I'm just smh

Despicable me looks more like a pedophilia story. "Adult villain turns into good man by the power of cute lolis..." That sounds completely pedophilic.

And I don't think it's because I grew up, but because the tastes of my generation are different form this one (nowadays kids, you have rly bad taste!)

Not really a fan of western animated movies, though I do enjoy a few from Disney like The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I do like a lot of animation in regular ol' cartoon shows though. The Amazing World Of Gumball isn't a particularly great show, but the animation is beautiful. The Last Airbender and Korra are both nicely animated and pretty good, and then there's the comedy side of things with stuff like South Park, Rick and Morty, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Bob's Burgers. Though I still believe that the only western animated shows that have a decent plot and look good in the last decade are Korra and The Last Airbender, the rest is either just comedy and the like.

Though I still believe that the only western animated shows that have a decent plot and look good in the last decade are Korra and The Last Airbender, the rest is either just comedy and the like.

I wish cartoons companies adapted more webcomics. There are like... Just 2 webcomic adaptations, I think. Such a waste, a lot of them have great potential.

And yeah, I think they exaggerate in the comedy, but I still like stuff like RC9GN because I love teenage-hero-with-a-secret-identity stories... Most cartoons I don't watch for the plot (because usually it isn't very good), but for the characters, some of them have a really interesting cast that mix well together.

My favorite is Code Lyoko, with Avatar: the Last Airbender as close second and Les Aventures de Tintin as third.

But I'm more fond with kids-type shows like Backyardigans, Little Bear's Adventures, Miss Spider, Rupert Bear, Sesame Street...

...I'm just a kid, isn't? :amane:

-

I thought all the movies you listed as hating in your opening post were at least decent - and considering the existence of straight-to-DVD Disney animated sequels, it seems hyperbolic to call Frozen the worst Disney movie of all time.

I never actually saw Despicable Me, but I enjoyed the second one and I'm looking forward to the minion movie.

Besides movies, most of the western animated stuff I watch is adult oriented - Archer, Frisky Dingo, Bob's Burgers, American Dad, etc. 

One of my favorite shows, animated or otherwise, is Home Movies. I used to go to bed every night and just put a random episode on. That show is extremely quotable, and even 7+ years since I last watched an episode, it still comes to mind.

Not really a fan of western animated movies, though I do enjoy a few from Disney like The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Definitely my favorite Disney movie. I still get chills whenever I watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

I thought all the movies you listed as hating in your opening post were at least decent - and considering the existence of straight-to-DVD Disney animated sequels, it seems hyperbolic to call Frozen the worst Disney movie of all time.

I never actually saw Despicable Me, but I enjoyed the second one and I'm looking forward to the minion movie.

Nah, I don't recall any sequel as bad as Frozen. Actually, I dont recall any really bad sequel. Some just werent as amazing as the original movie, but they still were good.

I didn't like Despicable Me sequel as well, it was awful.

Nah, I don't recall any sequel as bad as Frozen. Actually, I dont recall any really bad sequel. Some just werent as amazing as the original movie, but they still were good.

Then that's either nostalgia, poor recollection, or a bias against newer CGI stuff. Frozen was overhyped, it doesn't break out of that Disney Movie shell that a lot of people says it does, but it's at least technically impressive (the animated snow in Frozen is actually impressive) and got a few catchy songs. It is by no means a worse movie than movies like Bambi 2, Aladdin King of Thieves, or Pocahontas 2.

Then that's either nostalgia, poor recollection, or a bias against newer CGI stuff. Frozen was overhyped, it doesn't break out of that Disney Movie shell that a lot of people says it does, but it's at least technically impressive (the animated snow in Frozen is actually impressive) and got a few catchy songs. It is by no means a worse movie than movies like Bambi 2, Aladdin King of Thieves, or Pocahontas 2.

First, "visual" aspects aren't as important as story, characters and soundtracks imo. Second, a "few catchy songs" aren't worth. When compared to pre-CGI songs, they are dust in the feet of a giant. And third, characters REALLY matter a lot. If the first movie did a good job with the characters, making them memorable and great, it's already a big plus point for the sequels, even if the story isn't all that good. All the three you mentioned did a wonderful job with the characters in the first movie, so...

Visual aspects of an animated film can make up for other other shortcomings though, and add an extra layer you can enjoy. It's not the most important thing obviously, my favorite animated show is Home Movies after all, but it's clearly something you need to consider when you talk about the quality of an animated work.

I'd honestly argue "Let It Go" is better than a lot of Disney songs, and fairs well against the best Disney songs. Overplayed as hell, but it's a strong, emotional song.

It's true that the story in Frozen wasn't anything special, and the characters less so, but they weren't so bad that it became a worse film than any of the unneeded, poorly animated cash grabs Disney has done in the past. Not all the straight-to-DVD sequels were bad of course, of the ones I can think of, The Little Mermaid 3 was alright.  

Visual aspects of an animated film can make up for other other shortcomings though, and add an extra layer you can enjoy. It's not the most important thing obviously, my favorite animated show is Home Movies after all, but it's clearly something you need to consider when you talk about the quality of an animated work.

I didnt say I dont consider it, just that it has less importance. Maybe the animation is better, but personally I prefer Snow White's art than Frozen's. Anna looks too childish, Elsa too old, Hans looks stupid and Kristoff looks like a neckbeard otaku.

I'd honestly argue "Let It Go" is better than a lot of Disney songs, and fairs well against the best Disney songs. Overplayed as hell, but it's a strong, emotional song.

No. I cant really argue about this, because its all about personal opinions, but if I was to make a list of Disney's best songs, I think Let It Go would't even be in the 100th.

It's true that the story in Frozen wasn't anything special, and the characters less so, but they weren't so bad that it became a worse film than any of the unneeded, poorly animated cash grabs Disney has done in the past. Not all the straight-to-DVD sequels were bad of course, of the ones I can think of, The Little Mermaid 3 was alright.  

The characters werent special nor even good. The story and Anna's development are pretty much an insult to Disney's previous movies. "You cant marry someone just after you met." Tell this to Snow White or Cinderella! Anna was insanely bland, Elsa was too forced as "good" into the viewers, Hans was a victim of

Love Derailment just to give space to Kristoff without leaving any hints

, Kristoff contradicted the idealistic prince, and Olaf just served as a comedic relief.

The story and Anna's development are pretty much an insult to Disney's previous movies. "You cant marry someone just after you met." Tell this to Snow White or Cinderella! Anna was insanely bland, Elsa was too forced as "good" into the viewers, Hans was a victim of

Love Derailment just to give space to Kristoff without leaving any hints

, Kristoff contradicted the idealistic prince, and Olaf just served as a comedic relief.

That's an interesting take. I've never really heard someone take the tropes subverted in Frozen as being a bad thing. Usually the complaint I hear is that it isn't as subversive as it's made out to be.

You're right though, the characters weren't that great. Elsa was a squandered opportunity and Anna was stupid. I just don't think the negatives in Frozen is enough to justify calling it the worst Disney movie of all time, when there's a cornucopia of straight-to-video Disney movies to pick from.

Edit: Accidentally wrote songs when I meant movies

Edited by nohman

You're right though, the characters weren't that great. Elsa was a squandered opportunity and Anna was stupid. I just don't think the negatives in Frozen is enough to justify calling it the worst Disney movie of all time, when there's a cornucopia of straight-to-video Disney movies to pick from.

It's not. Far from it actually. That being said I'm not surprised certain demographics rate it so lowly.