Something I don't understand about charage and moege

Charage has a lot of characters; it focuses on interpersonal development and relationships (sounds so wonderful in theory), but usually it's just a visual novel with more characters you can stand. Moege is everything that gives you lethal diabetes in less than five minutes (unless you're already used to it... or dead) and generally, genre I don't read, nor play. Both types are the curse of modern japanese game industry, since their very existence decimates other genres. Devs believe they are a godsend, even though it's just them being lazy and uninventive.

Charages are about character development while moege are about cute characters doing cute things, charages can have characters that were on a previous relationship or teachers with sexual experiences. Moeges cant have anything that deviates from the cute virgin innocent heroines.

For instance recently https://vndb.org/v16070has been causing a lot of controversy because the heroine made a joke about cheating on the protag wich in a moege has no place because thats not cute at all but a charage could get away with it.

So the diference is basically the range of heroine personalities they can have, moege limits the heroines it can have while charage can have more to build character development.

For instance recently https://vndb.org/v16070has been causing a lot of controversy because the heroine made a joke about cheating on the protag wich in a moege has no place because thats not cute at all but a charage could get away with it.

I see neither how a joke has anything to do with "not cute at all" nor that whatever controversy.

Anyway.

My own definitions are:

Moege: VNs that focus on the cuteness of the heroines and all those ichaicha, not the story. The story in a moege is usually very simple and cliché.

Charage: VNs which each heroine has her own separate story with little to do with the main plot. Usually, every problem in the main plot will be solved by the end of common route, or the very beginning of heroine route. 

By definition, yeah, a moege is usually also a charage. Not always though (Panical Confusion is an example).

That VN is compelety just joking + cute characters, so I don't understand why it would cause controversy da.

Because Japanese otaku are some of the most shallow, obsessive, trivial, over-reactive idiots in the world.

The mere thought that one of their 'waifus' might even joke about cheating is enough to damage their fragile self esteem, and leave them ranting in fear and anger. Remember the Aya Hirano events for perfect examples of otaku idiocy.

Or, more simply, otaku demand that certain things from their VNs, and one of them is self-validation. Jokes like that are threatening, and hence receive a poor reception. There was a game a few years ago where on of the main heroines was revealed to be a bit of a slut. The character had a series of sexfriends before she started dating the protagonist. When this was revealed in game, lots of otaku couldn't take it. Lots of players just stopped playing right there.