VN Reading Club - May 2015 (Coμ -Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku-)

Kosakyun

I just thought of another criticism I have with Comyu that is somewhat related to this.

The writing in Comyu was pretty annoying at times

Two instances were this stands out the most are Akihito's constant references to the "gentle kingdom" and how he is constantly bringing up the colour red. I mean seriously, he is reminded of the colour by the most irrelevant things!

The other instance comes up mostly in fights. Akihito will give up and resign himself to his fate only to say "but so what?" This is fine but he does this with every fight, so often that whenever he gave up I just said to myself "Akihito, you and I both know you're just going to say 'but so what?' and get on with the fight. We've done this dance before so quit bringing it up."

I agree with the first part

Sometimes the "This gentle kingdom" and "I remember red" come up way too often.

But I haven't really noticed the second part in fights, and even so, its good repetition lol. 

I agree with the first part

Sometimes the "This gentle kingdom" and "I remember red" come up way too often.

But I haven't really noticed the second part in fights, and even so, its good repetition lol. 

He doesn't do it just in fights, sometimes he does it in his everyday life but the fights are where it most consistently occurs. 

He doesn't do it just in fights, sometimes he does it in his everyday life but the fights are where it most consistently occurs. 

Oh, I noticed that in everyday life quite a lot.

"

Death, resignation, failure..."

"But so what? We all try to...."

I'm banging a girl even if i'm in a relationship, but so what?

I'm a damn pedophile and you can go in prison for that, but so what?

I killed tons of people, but so what?

I'm ugly, but so what? 

Yep, it works with everything. 

/snip

Captain America will win. Because justice always win!

I feel that people like Hisoka's route but don't have her as fav gurl...

but so what?

Maybe it's because she had less development than the others, imo.

I didn't even know that I was doing her route until a few scenes before her H-scene.

Captain America will win. Because justice always win!

Maybe it's because she had less development than the others, imo.

I didn't even know that I was doing her route until a few scenes before her H-scene.

I'm on Team Tony.

I think one of the reasons may be because she did so little in the common route to build up her character unlike everyone else.

I think one of the reasons may be because she did so little in the common route to build up her character unlike everyone else.

You also see little of her in her route, if I'm recalling it correctly.

Most of the times that you see her before you come to terms with the fact that she's directly involved with the avatar gigs is at the rooftop.

I might aswell say my impressions so far, ive finished heroine 3 since I was allready reading it before I had joined, so to minimize spoiling ill tell you which heroine route i'm gonna talk about before the spoiler warnings. The scene selection tells you after you've played through a heroine which heroine number it is. :)

Ive enjoyed the VN so far, nice CG, enjoyable voices as mentioned and I really like the BGM, aspecially the funky one.

I like the characters but there are some that's too energetic for me.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, minor spoiler for those who hasn't done one route yet:

I really dislike how he has sex with other girls when i'm one heroine's route, aspecially through heroine one, I know they haven't made any commitments yet but still it irks me

:P

Heroine 1:

Benio, the two that posted before me favorite girl, and my 2nd to least favorite girl and my least favorite route so far, it kinda felt pointless to me, they fought the king and they even lost, there is a hint that they might have possible maybe reached him, and they didn't even officially end up togeather which kinda annoyed me

(Being a sucker for romance) 

Heroine 2:

My favorite route so far, my favorite girl aswell, the ending was good and they even made another ending where I can indulge myself in my fantasies that they lived happily ever after, which may not be for everyone but i'll happily live in ignorance if that's the cost.

Not much to say about Heroine 3 other than:

She was very cute and it was fun seeing Akihito being picked on for his loliness x) I aspecially loved seeing some very adorable sides of Izawa when he was blushing, loved it. Other than that the route was fine, abit slow paced compared to the other two but that's not neccesary a bad thing

So the month has ended, ive been hidding from the thead because of spoilers and I was abit slow on the VN, but ill post this here anyway because why not. The VN was ok in my book, not one that I found to be great but it was worth it to read, the girls was good and alot of the conversations and philosophical toughts was nice, I give it a 8/10. The only thing that I personally would like is if some of the side routes were better and I would love a route with Kururi :>

Heroine 4:

I found Ayaya to be really cute and probably my 2nd favorite girl, but this is probably the route ive liked the least so far (Though it was still decent and achieved it's point), it was pretty much just a moege with no story other than getting together. The fights was anti climatic though that was probably the point, but atleast the finalboss name made me smirk. Despite feeling somewhat dissapointed at the end I did grin throughout most of the route so I guess it did achieve it's point even though i'd prefer a more action filled route because that was the reason I chose the VN when I was looking for something to read.

Heroine 5:

Unsuprisingly the best route, being the true route i'd be annoyed if it wasn't good, I liked seeing a different side of Kagome and she was really cute during h-scenes and the promise between them was nice. Gasai dying was really sad, i'd love to have a route where Akihito sided with the legion. The most annoying part and the part that kinda ruined the route for me was the suprise h-scene with Yoruko where he obiviously cheated on Kagome with, atleast in Benio's route they weren't really togeather. Also another sad part was that my best gril died yet again 

:wafuu: Tho it was a good VN I doubt i'll ever bother re-reading it.

My best gril is Hisoka... Yeye I like rocks...

untitled_drawing_by_mypetcutiepix123-d6u

but so what?

I like these kind of girls, not my favorite heroine ever but in this particular VN, tho I would absolutely love to have her in the VN even more I understand why she wasn't in it too much, they shouldve made her route longer tho if it's possible to do so without prolonging and pushing it too much.

Once again, we have conflicting opinions.

Of course, Benio is best girl. There's no other alternative.

There will always be people with confliction opinons, Benio is my least favorite heroine. :>

But so what?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, minor spoiler for those who hasn't done one route yet:

I really dislike how he has sex with other girls when i'm one heroine's route, aspecially through heroine one, I know they haven't made any commitments yet but still it irks me

Ok, I've seen this complaint a bunch. So, my comments on Benio's route and this issue.

Sure, it does seem wrong that in Benio's route, in a non-nukige, the main character goes off and sleeps with other girls, even if they hadn't started dating yet.

But is NO ONE bothered by the fact that Benio goes and has sex with someone else AFTER they've started dating? If I was calling out someone in this route for their sexual mores, it wouldn't be Akihito.

Ok, I've seen this complaint a bunch. So, my comments on Benio's route and this issue.

Sure, it does seem wrong that in Benio's route, in a non-nukige, the main character goes off and sleeps with other girls, even if they hadn't started dating yet.

But is NO ONE bothered by the fact that Benio goes and has sex with someone else AFTER they've started dating? If I was calling out someone in this route for their sexual mores, it wouldn't be Akihito.

No,I agree that is wrong, and any arguments against it, as far as I can think of would probably have been an excuse. I did say that I realized that they hadn't made any commitments yet but it still irks me. I do think I may be judging the protagonist more than other characters. He didn't really do anything wrong in that route on a moral viewpoint,

but he did in other.

I didn't quite catch this.

Benio did it with someone else after Akihito and her started dating? What?

Or is this about Haru?

My best gril is Hisako... Yeye I like rocks...

untitled_drawing_by_mypetcutiepix123-d6u

but so what?

...Is that Hisoka? And lol I read 'rocks' wrong. Sorry, Rabbit.

I didn't quite catch this.

Benio did it with someone else after Akihito and her started dating? What?

Or is this about Haru?

Yeah it'd be about Haru.

...Is that Hisoka? And lol I read 'rocks' wrong. Sorry, Rabbit.

What? Nono, that's not Hisoka I just felt like putting a picture of a cute rock to make my point that I like rocks (nearly everytime ive mentioned I liked Hisoka I was asked if I liked rocks) :> And what did you read "rocks" as? I'm curious... Oh waite, nvm I think I got it  :vinty:

Edit: I just noticed that ive written Hisako instead of Hisoka <.< it's too late into the night for me.

Yeah it'd be about Haru.

I'd do it too if I were her----/slapped

Edit: I just noticed that ive written Hisako instead of Hisoka <.< it's too late into the night for me.

That's what I meant when I asked if that was Hisoka. I thought you just spelled the name wrong.

Also, I'm glad you know what 'rocks' I interpreted. After all, they're also as hard as rocks. :holo:

I just completed Comyu, so though this topic may have been dead for a week, I shall revive it anyway!

Thoughts on Heroine 5 route:

It's nice seeing everything come together and seeing all the sprited characters' purposes fully explained. We've had a lot of people lurking in the background without much of a purpose until now - Hana-sensei, the Owner, Benio's father, and Ayaya's uncle all get to play their role. Even Yoruko didn't really have much of a role to play until this route. Moreover, all the unsubtle little hints finally got turned into big reveals, which was nice.

I also really appreciated that they saved some of their best background music tracks for the end of this route - things were getting very repetitive, so it was nice to get a change of pace.

It was wonderful to finally Kagome be humanized, and to even get a few scenes from her point of view. Her flawless plot armor didn't really bother me much -

And overall thoughts on the game, no spoilers:

Music

Solid, and they did a good job of rationing some of their better stuff for the late game, but I think they just needed more. It was getting pretty repetitive by the end, and there were a few pieces (especially "A Gentle Kingdom") that I was downright sick of by the time I was done.

Art

Fine, but didn't seem like anything special. I'm not big on giant robots, so all of that stuff did nothing for me. Character sprite art was quite good, and I quite enjoyed some of the expressions. CGs were very good as well, and I especially enjoyed the last few CGs of the game.

Story

Ok, but with the way the final route kind of covered everything, it felt a bit like they wrote one single story, and then picked little pieces of it to turn into 5 routes. I like having a "true" ending well enough, but it seemed like it lessened the experience a bit because so much of the ground had been covered already. I'm more a fan of the way Rewrite did its last two routes and its "true" ending, by pretty much completely separating them from the earlier parts of the game, rather than this approach.

One thing I learned from reading Comyu: as... stimulating... as they sometimes are, I really do prefer my VNs without H-scenes.