Riviera The Promised Land, The VN that wasn't

Zalor

Riviera The Promised Land is an interesting anomaly. This is perhaps the closest thing to a VN that was released and localized for the Gameboy advance. It is a heavily text based JRPG with a dating sim element. VNDB dismissed this game as being too much of a JRPG, and while I agree with them that this isn't quite a VN, it doesn't fit in very well with other JRPGs either. While most JRPGs focus on grinding and fighting with story in between every now and then, this game is all about character interaction with fighting and grinding between the dialogue. Infact, even the way you explore the world and examine items is heavily unconventional and focused around character interaction. It's not a difficult system of exploration, but it's so different that you could only understand it by playing the game yourself.     

This game came to mind recently as I was digging through my old GBA collection. This was quite easily my favorite game during 8th grade, and my fondness for it then probably easily explains why I fell in love with the VN medium. I'm not sure how many of you actually know of this game, but hopefully some. And for those that don't know of it, I think this review does a great job explaining this game without giving any major spoilers:

And here is part 2:

Crazy that you bring this game up, as I was thinking of it the other day. Only for like, a split moment though.

Man does this bring me back though. This is probably one of the reasons why I came to love VN, as It was my first exposure to anything that was VN-like in any aspect. Gotta say, you kind of made me want to replay it.

Crazy that you bring this game up, as I was thinking of it the other day. Only for like, a split moment though.

Man does this bring me back though. This is probably one of the reasons why I came to love VN, as It was my first exposure to anything that was VN-like in any aspect. Gotta say, you kind of made me want to replay it.

I've played this game on the snes before and really liked it at the time. I think I got Fia's ending first, then Cierra, and then Serene. I forgot who my favorite was though.

There's no movement, just making choices on what/who to interact with, and fighting enemies so yeah~ 

I recall playing this back when I was in college! It was a cute little game, if memory serves correctly. The visuals were particularly well done. I guess this never did too well in the west? This was before the time when I could afford buying games, otherwise I would have shown my support for sure.

I found Riviera when I was on my journey to find a 'game with story'. It was pretty good in my opinion and I enjoyed it. I got the PSP version some months ago, I only played about ~3 hours of it though. Ein's voice sounds a bit too girly I think (I know his voice actor is female but), Ledah sounds as badass as ever though.

Maybe I'll play it again soon. I miss Serene. -_-

Maybe I'll play it again soon. I miss Serene. -_-

It's a competition between Serene and Fia for best girl. ^_^

i know everything about yggdra union even beating it without anyone losing a life. this walkthrough has everything you need for beating the game including what cards are useful, the items, and gaining more people.

the walkthough

http://www.vizzed.com/boards/thread.php?id=77751

the cards

http://www.vizzed.com/boards/thread.php?id=79112

Thanks for this! I may actually give Yggrdra Union a second chance now.