Tay Interviewed; Doesn't Mention solidbatman

solidbatman

Some thoughts on the blog post:

Don't use the acronym "VNR" for the VN reviews section.  That's already in use by Visual Novel Reader, a text hooking and translation program.

Translation ratings: I can't imagine a translation rating system that doesn't create strife and belittle the efforts of the bottom 30%.  I also have no idea how translations could be rated in a standardized and objective manner.

Some thoughts on the blog post (haven't read this thread yet):

Don't use the acronym "VNR" for the VN reviews section.  That's already in use by Visual Novel Reader, a text hooking and translation program.

Translation ratings: I can't imagine a translation rating system that doesn't create strife and belittle the efforts of the bottom 30%.  I also have no idea how translations could be rated in a standardized and objective manner.

Furthermore, Tay is attempting to increase fan-tl participation in the community. This is going to mean a decrease in overall standards, something which has previously been impossible because of bullying within the fan-tl community. 

I don't think standards were ever high to begin with, like I said most people don't even care as long as it's readable.

It's just that some TL communities have a really snarky attitude.

I think we should be welcoming of course, but I don't think there's any standards to begin with.

You’re presuming most people in the VN community have read all the VNs on offer. This is a statement which is possible to make now, because of the relatively few games which have been translated and the super niche nature of the medium. That being said the medium is opening up, new people start to flood into the genre and many new VNs are being translated. It will be much harder in the future to play all, or even most, of the translated VNs (take a poll and see how many people have played Sekien no Ignarock, Forrest, or Quartett.) Also some of the newer fans in the genre will be much more casual in their participation.

I'm presuming most people don't care much to begin with.

The amount of people with enough time in their hand to actually want to put in the effort to make translations better and actually be good at it is minimal to begin with.

And an increase in a playerbase will likely not change that much either.

The idea of producing a higher rated patch means that anybody who hasn’t previously read a VN will obviously choose the patch which is higher tiered. But allowing those who aren’t as good to participate will mean much more material being produced, it will create a market for re-translation, and I think a much more healthy industry in general. At the moment the VN fan-tl community is fairly elitist.

The idea of producing a higher rated patch means that the average commoner who reads it will be satisfied and won't even aknowledge the work you put in or that there was a previous translation and if they had only the previous translation (assuming the previous translation was readable) they probably would have felt the same exact way. Again, the average person's standards are pretty low.

I touched on this above. Continuing, it IS a question of attitude. The reason people offer different translations in ANY medium is because they think they can off a better interpretation of what is already on offer. They think that their translation will a) lead to more enjoyment of the game or B) be more respectful TO the game. 

You can probably count all these people that are so interested in improving and respecting the game with the amount of fingers you have in your hands.

The only reason it takes a LOOOOOT of time to quality check and edit in the VN community is because these groups are making sure they translate to a high standard. In the manga scene it often is the case that a group which has taken close to 2 years to translate 80 chapters of the manga will piss off another group which wants it out fast. They’ll then release a low quality translation and breeze through 100 chapters in 4 months or so.

That isn’t any different to VNs. You can breeze through a game in fairly little time comparatively. The ONLY difference is that people in the VN community will get pissed at you  for “not respecting the material” and try and bully you away from it.

The reason it takes a loooooooong time is because 1) There's tens of thousands of lines 2) People are generally lazy

The amount of dedication you have to have is huge. And a lot of people end up losing it halfway. This will be even more prominent with newer translators who have barely even translated anything and don't know their limits.

An average tankoubon wouldn't even reach the 10k line mark, so yes, even if you have the highest of possible standars, it will take much less time translating it, even assuming you have to redraw a lot of things. And given that it's a much more popular medium than VNs in the west, the reward and recognition will likely be bigger, hence why it's much easier to have the mindset of "I can easily improve this manga" than "I can easily improve this VN translation". 

It seems the difference between you and me is that you have a lot of faith in people changing their attitudes if you just push them in the right direction.

I on the other hand just don't see trends changing that easily, even if we try to sugercoat the hell out of it.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I don't think it has negative effects of any kind.

We're bringing in people and encouraging fan translation. Great, stellar, I love this side of Fuwa (seriously).

But do I think it can have a big impact in the way things work in general? Honestly, I'm very skeptical. I don't want to bash it, but my faith in people is very very low.

The way I see it, it's a waste of effort retranslating a title when there's hundreds of top tier VNs that still aren't translated and more coming out every year.  If you're an official localization company trying to sell a product, then yes quality matters and taking an older title with a subpar translation and putting it on Steam is a stupid idea.  Fan translation groups have no such obligations nor incentives to improve upon an existing product.

The way I see it, it's a waste of effort retranslating a title when there's hundreds of top tier VNs that still aren't translated and more coming out every year.  If you're an official localization company trying to sell a product, then yes quality matters and taking an older title with a subpar translation and putting it on Steam is a stupid idea.  Fan translation groups have no such obligations nor incentives to improve upon an existing product.

From the perspective of someone who hasn't translated and isn't multilingual I agree. I hope we see more high quality crowdfunded translations on Steam as opposed

to multiple varying quality translations you have to torrent where neither the translator nor the original company recieve recompense. At the same time I realize this isn't

sustainable most VN's I've played are from Fuwanovel the black market as it where is going to continue it's dominance but at the very least a few big titles on Steam may help

raise better awareness of the medium.

Ctrl + F

No results for vita in the article.

As expected. heh.

T-T

It is not my place to talk about Fuwanovel since it isn't my site.

I will say this wasn't the type of discussion I expected to see as a result of someone

else starting a thread from an interview I did with Tay. Is this really productive what has

happened in the last page of this thread is it relevant to the interview I don't think so.