What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

Yep Press' impression is steadily going downhill for me.

Huh, why's that? AFAIK, other than NGNL, YenPress has been providing very solid translations so far (on the LN side of things, don't really read manga). Putting aside the release pace, I'd say YenPress is doing a great job so I'm curious as to why you would have a bad impression of them. 

"Solid" is a very relative term.  Having read most of the fan-TL's and then comparing them to YP's, I can say that I enjoyed the fan's better.

Well I'm fairly new to lns, having read only 2 series properly namely- Overlord and NGNL.
Overlord was recently licensed by YenPress, and I've heard is that they take a long time to publish so we won't getting anymore Overlord as it's already at vol 9. Needing to wait for 3-4 years till I can read a series I really liked, did give me a bad impression on it.

Honestly, this screams of entitlement. :shrug:

I've learned to avoid probable pickups.  Usually anything published before 2010 wont get picked up.  Your problem is going for the mainstream titles.

As for Overlord, depending on the following, you might get an unofficial TL that breaks copyright, but it's almost guaranteed to not be quality and will probably be MTL.

Well I'm fairly new to lns, having read only 2 series properly namely- Overlord and NGNL.
Overlord was recently licensed by YenPress, and I've heard is that they take a long time to publish so we won't getting anymore Overlord as it's already at vol 9. Needing to wait for 3-4 years till I can read a series I really liked, did give me a bad impression on it.

Honestly, this screams of entitlement. :shrug:

I've learned to avoid probable pickups.  Usually anything published before 2010 wont get picked up.  Your problem is going for the mainstream titles.

As for Overlord, depending on the following, you might get an unofficial TL that breaks copyright, but it's almost guaranteed to not be quality and will probably be MTL.

I will mostly end up reading the unoff TL for vol 10. Unless it's unbearably bad, I don't want to wait for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Mushoku no Tensei.

Pretty interesting and liking it so far. But it definitely has lots of room for more elements like politics which was hinted with the Greyrats which will mostly be in frontlight later on. I do feel at times that it could be a bit faster but having a steady pace is good too. It's nice to read a long-term story with getting to see the characters grow up.

Pretty interesting and liking it so far. But it definitely has lots of room for more elements like politics which was hinted with the Greyrats which will mostly be in frontlight later on. I do feel at times that it could be a bit faster but having a steady pace is good too. It's nice to read a long-term story with getting to see the characters grow up.

This story is a LONG one. The pacing is really slow after the first two volumes. It's still a fun read, but holy crap does it slow down. That's really the biggest problem I have with the series. 

Also, Eris is best bitch. 

heh

This story is a LONG one. The pacing is really slow after the first two volumes. It's still a fun read, but holy crap does it slow down. That's really the biggest problem I have with the series. 

heh

Yep it should definitely be a bit faster but other than that it's progressinpretty well. The last 5-6 days I have been primarily only reading Mushoku Tensei and just now finished volume 8. I do miss the illustrations that stopped after vol 7, but still it's good enough. Though after having blazed through it a bit too fast I'll probably taking a break from it for a week or so now.

heh

Yep it should definitely be a bit faster but other than that it's progressinpretty well. The last 5-6 days I have been primarily only reading Mushoku Tensei and just now finished volume 8. I do miss the illustrations that stopped after vol 7, but still it's good enough. Though after having blazed through it a bit too fast I'll probably taking a break from it for a week or so now.

Lol, I have a fun story about this one actually.  It was two summers ago or something.  Anyway, I read the series for 3 days straight only stopping for bodily necessities.  Due to the autobiographical nature of the series, my dreams were filled with the lore and happenings of it.  It was really, really, really weird.  I have the distinct memory of feeling like I was aging at an incredible pace.

Lol, I have a fun story about this one actually.  It was two summers ago or something.  Anyway, I read the series for 3 days straight only stopping for bodily necessities.  Due to the autobiographical nature of the series, my dreams were filled with the lore and happenings of it.  It was really, really, really weird.  I have the distinct memory of feeling like I was aging at an incredible pace.

Were the dreams something like this?

thumb.php?f=Mushoku04_10.png&width=421

"Welcome, to the highest point in your life."

But I must agree that this series especially at the beginning is very addicting because I remember a similar experience when I was basically just reading this for like a whole week.

I did stay awake till 3 am one day(normally sleep by 12) reading it. 
Even today I was using all of my will-power to keep away from resuming it again. At this rate I doubt I'll last a week.

As for the "Highest point in your life" scene, that was pure gold. Just couldn't stop laughing. 

Read till volume 13(end of Youth period) of Mushoku Tensei.
And this time I was able to properly stop, mostly will continue it after a couple of weeks.

A slight warning though; halfway through the Young Man Period (volume 18 I believe), the translation quality will drop steeply due to the use of MTL.

A slight warning though; halfway through the Young Man Period (volume 18 I believe), the translation quality will drop steeply due to the use of MTL.

That was actually one of the big reasons that I could not put up with finishing this light novel even though the whole thing is translated.

It's very unfortunate because the start was amazing and had sooo much potential.

I want to read the lights novels of Tate no yusha... Does anyone know where I can find them ?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Shield-Hero-Volume/dp/1935548727 <- Vol1 to buy

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Shield-Hero-Volume/dp/1935548786 <- Vol2 to buy

Vol3 in Feb 2016, Vol4 in June 2016

On theother hand finally started Utsuro no Maria, currently in the middle of vol2.

Reading Fate Strange/Fake atm since I only notice that it's actually a real thing instead of April Fools.

So many broken servants, Fuyuki HGW aint got nothing on it

Inb4 rage

I actually can't believe he is fleshing it out now. Took him long enough. 

Ayaka Sajyou (Girl from Prototype) replace the Player in this novel~

That was actually one of the big reasons that I could not put up with finishing this light novel even though the whole thing is translated.

It's very unfortunate because the start was amazing and had sooo much potential.

MTL got it flaws sure, but Mushoku Tensei is worth it :Teeku: 

I never picked it up Mushoku Tensei again but is the ending really that good? 

I feel that the quality of the writing drops as it got later but that might be just because I got tired of reading in general. And also one other thing bothered me.

After Eris, who is my favorite character left for like 10 volumes, it started becoming unbearable to read. 

I seriously wished that Eris and Rudi would have gotten together first instead of Slyphy because they just seemed so perfect for each other. 

I feel that the quality of the writing drops as it got later but that might be just because I got tired of reading in general. And also one other thing bothered me.

Hidden Content

Rather than good, for me it's more appropriate to be called satisfying.

Won't go into anymore detail though since that would be spoiling.

As for the Eris stuff, they do part in misunderstanding that leave Rudi with ED

:P 

Hidden Content

Rather than good, for me it's more appropriate to be called satisfying.

Won't go into anymore detail though since that would be spoiling.

Hidden Content

Alright, over winter break I guess I'll give it a try. 

I'll probably have more than enough time to start again and this time I won't be reading 24/7, rather I'll try to space it out so that I don't get tired of reading it.

Mushoku Tensei is really good and really worth reading with a satisfying ending. One of the novels I really want to read again in japanese in the future.

Someone's reading Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? ? It's one of my favorite LN and is really underrated and not well known. I hope people show more love for it.

I'm planning on reading Zero no Tsukaima once the translation resume, so I hope it will be as good as you said Abyssal Monkey. Apparently it's really different from the anime, so I'm hypped to read such a long serie !

Mushoku Tensei is really good and really worth reading with a satisfying ending. One of the novels I really want to read again in japanese in the future.

Someone's reading Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? ? It's one of my favorite LN and is really underrated and not well known. I hope people show more love for it.

I'm planning on reading Zero no Tsukaima once the translation resume, so I hope it will be as good as you said Abyssal Monkey. Apparently it's really different from the anime, so I'm hypped to read such a long serie !

Well I liked Louise so I might pick it up too. On what vol of Rokoujouma are you? Is it progressing towards harem or single girl? Anyway it have 20 vols out... Looks like author is milking the series? Are there any good pdfs for Rokou?

Edited by Maxel

Volume 9, which is in fact the 11th volume counting the .5.

I don't know about the rest, but until where I am it's really good. Or at least, I really like it. It's truly heart-warming, and the characters are so likeable. Many girls like Koutarou, but we don't really know about him. We have hints, and things change with time, so... If you want to know :

At first you think he likes Harumi, but after volume 8.5 he fell in love with Alaia, but they have to separate. Harumi obviously being the reincarnation of Alaia, there is high chance that she is the one he ends with. But it's hinted that he "likes" each girl in a way, to the point he would even forsake his life on earth for Theia if he needs to.

I don't know about the pdfs, I read on BT.

There is action/battle (at least one per volume) but it's not the main point. It's a question of taste. I really like how heart-warming it is, and how it can give me so many emotions.

Another heart-warming LN would be Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro...... They are the most heart-warming LNs I know.

I may like action/adventure/fantasy novels, but I quite like comedy/romance/slice of life novels too.

Does it means you'll never read Oregairu ? :pyaa:

Edited by Riku