What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

There is action/battle (at least one per volume) but it's not the main point. It's a question of taste. I really like how heart-warming it is, and how it can give me so many emotions.

Another heart-warming LN would be Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro...... They are the most heart-warming LNs I know.

I may like action/adventure/fantasy novels, but I quite like comedy/romance/slice of life novels too.

Does it means you'll never read Oregairu ? :pyaa:

Probably. I might be slightly hypocritical if I said I despise drama, but so much of it is forced in the romance genre it's god damn unbearable. As I come out from reading the latest chapter of Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi. manga, I once again confirm that I'm entirely fine with drama in where people don't act like retards. It's all consistent with their characters and still makes sense. 

Most romantic novels seem like Hallmark/Lifetime/Key plots in which they introduce characters, make them play a role, and then proceed to flip the table for drama for no fucking reason. It pisses me off to no end and I got tired of it. So I stopped reading pure romance and switched to action adventure, where even if they shove in the romance card, it is entirely believable if only for the mundane reason of traveling together (enter Slayers). Forced as it may be, it still makes more sense than anything the current hacks of the genre think up. 

I'll point to the anime of Sakurasou.  As much drama that show contained, all of it was understandable and the characters took reasonable courses of action. The author didn't kill someone for drama, and they certainly didn't make the character shy for no fucking reason out of nowhere ToraDora just to build up a dramatic payoff. Instead it made fucking sense. 

Tl;dr Fuck dramatic romance, Noucome was fun, cliche action adventure still has the most believable romance. 

:salt: :salt: :salt: :salt::salt: :salt: :salt: :salt::salt: :salt: 

Not to contradict you, but with what you say I can only say that you should try to read Rokujouma. I mean, there isn't really "drama". (if by drama you mean "sad things")

When I say it's heart-warming it's because the characters are so likeable that when there is a description of their feelings you can't help but find it cute, and even if Koutarou is dense I really like how he acts and what he says.

If you have time, try to read the 2-3 first volumes (the 1st volume is an introduction volume so nothing much happen, and it's a little messy. You start to like Rokujouma from the volume 3 when Koutarou start to help each invader, and you(I) begin to really like it with the .5 volumes).

They aren't that long, and really easy to read, so please, give it a try ! (I know I repeat myself and all, but I love Rokujouma enough to translate in in my language (French), so I want more people to read it and like it)

I want to read the lights novels of Tate no yusha... Does anyone know where I can find them ?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Shield-Hero-Volume/dp/1935548727 <- Vol1 to buy

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rising-Shield-Hero-Volume/dp/1935548786 <- Vol2 to buy

Vol3 in Feb 2016, Vol4 in June 2016

On theother hand finally started Utsuro no Maria, currently in the middle of vol2.

i wish I could buy all the volumes with that price . I live in Spain , so I use Amazon Spain. Each book cost 28 besides it's not even translated to English . it's the Japanese version , and if I were to buy 2 o more volumes I would have to pay to customs a amount worth 5 volumes 

If you want to read it in english, it would be the Web Novel, and not the Light Novel. BT removed the first 78 chapters, but you should be able to find them if you search a little.

If you didn't know, Sevens going to be novelized !

Hidden Content

Is Sevens actually any good? From synopsis alone i feared it's just your another 'Weak dude suddenly get stonk and revenge to everyone' kind of story.

Reading UchiMusume atm. Latina is so cute :pyaa:

It's a bit spoiling, but it's needed to understand that it isn't like that. Lyle isn't really weak. Or rather, he is, but there is a reason. (you'll understand when you'll read)

Anyway, the story is good if you can accept :

Lyle is dense and really oblivious to the world during the first volumes. He was rejected/isolated since he was 10, so he is rather immature. It becomes better later as he grows by living as an adventurer.

It's a harem, or so I think. Lyle only like one girl, but many girls like him. Don't know about later, we'll see.

The story isn't really fast paced, but I think that pace is good.

The ancestors are a little annoying at first, but it becomes better later.

It's been a while since the last chapter, so I forgot a few things, but all in all, I like it. What's more, once Yoraikun will resume the translation, it will be one chapter daily !

It's a bit spoiling, but it's needed to understand that it isn't like that. Lyle isn't really weak. Or rather, he is, but there is a reason. (you'll understand when you'll read)

Anyway, the story is good if you can accept :

Lyle is dense and really oblivious to the world during the first volumes. He was rejected/isolated since he was 10, so he is rather immature. It becomes better later as he grows by living as an adventurer.

It's a harem, or so I think. Lyle only like one girl, but many girls like him. Don't know about later, we'll see.

The story isn't really fast paced, but I think that pace is good.

The ancestors are a little annoying at first, but it becomes better later.

It's been a will since the last chapter, so I forgot a few things, but all in all, I like it. What's more, once Yoraikun will resume the translation, it will be one chapter daily !

Aaahhhh....have a bad experience with that type of Harem so I probably won't read it :P

Thanks tho!

Well, I don't really have a definition of the "harem" genre, but I class them in three categories : True Harem (Girls like the MC and the MC like each girl. e.g. Magika no Kenshi to Shoukan Maou), One Way Harem (Girls like the MC but MC only like one girl.) and Unknown Harem (Girls like MC, but we aren't sure about MC feelings. e.g. Rokujouma, I guess. We know he has affection for the girls, but we don't know if it's love.)

So I would class SAO as a One Way Harem. And if you count the Material Edition after Alicization (non canon), a True Harem.

But well, like I said, I don't really know how to define a harem.

As for Sevens, with the chapters translated, I would say it's a One Way Harem for now. But I guess Lyle will crack and it will become a true harem. If everything go well, we should know that in less than a year.

Well, I don't really have a definition of the "harem" genre, but I class them in three categories : True Harem (Girls like the MC and the MC like each girl. e.g. Magika no Kenshi to Shoukan Maou), One Way Harem (Girls like the MC but MC only like one girl.) and Unknown Harem (Girls like MC, but we aren't sure about MC feelings. e.g. Rokujouma, I guess. We know he has affection for the girls, but we don't know if it's love.)

So I would class SAO as a One Way Harem. And if you count the Material Edition after Alicization (non canon), a True Harem.

But well, like I said, I don't really know how to define a harem.

As for Sevens, with the chapters translated, I would say it's a One Way Harem for now. But I guess Lyle will crack and it will become a true harem. If everything go well, we should know that in less than a year.

And into the "There is no such thing as a female friend" category you go!

Well, I don't think I'm wrong when I say that almost every girl likes (and not just as a friend) Kirito, it's pretty obvious.

As for "There is no such thing as a female friend", there is. Rokujouma is a good example, until Koutarou make them fall for him... So I guess it doesn't work ?

Anyway, it's possible, but most of the time, authors tend to make every girl fall for the MC. (well, depend of what genre you read)

Also, why SAO for example ?

Well, I don't think I'm wrong when I say that almost every girl likes (and not just as a friend) Kirito, it's pretty obvious.

As for "There is no such thing as a female friend", there is. Rokujouma is a good example, until Koutarou make them fall for him... So I guess it doesn't work ?

Anyway, it's possible, but most of the time, authors tend to make every girl fall for the MC. (well, depend of what genre you read)

Also, why SAO for example ?

Because SAO is one of the more well known ones for starters.  It also has a rabid PR base.  Having read the books, it's clear that the girls only had fleeting affection akin to infatuation rather than actual love.  The anime exacerbated it into a harem like situation, and people decided to run with it.  This has led to the oh so obvious current situation where everyone single handedly declares it's a harem without thinking.  The only other character in that series that had actual love was Suguha.

Well, I think it's more than a friend but less than a lover. But, even without counting Silica and Lisbeth, there are still 4 girls that like him in "that" way. (Asuna, Suguha, Ronye (infatuation too ?) and Alice)  So, how many girls need to like the MC to make it a harem ?

Ah, it's been a while since I last read SAO (since volume 14), so excuse me if I said something stupid.

HakoMari is really good and worth reading. I really like the insanity in the last volume.

As for a romance LN : Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro...... (here: The first three volumes are on BT https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Hikaru_ga_Chikyuu_ni_Itakoro...... The rest is here: http://hellping.org/hikaru/)

One of my favorite. If you wait one or two months, the translation should be finished. (9/10 volumes are translated)

Well... Somehow I just finished 7 vols of Utsuro no Maria, worth reading. Do it for Maria guys.

Anyway, can someone recommend me good translated romance VN? Prefer non-harem one, and if it's a harem then one with favorising one/two girls is preferred. Thanks.

I assume you mean LN...? If you liked HakoMari, then I highly recommend Gekkou. It's only 1 volume, but it's definitely one of my favorite romance novels. It doesn't play out like your usual romance stories, it's really unique and the chemistry between the characters is amazing. The interaction between the two characters and the lack of universal morals and laws in them, along with the author's ambiguous style of writing makes it one-of-a-kind and highly entertaining to read.

Also seconding Hikaru ga Chikyuu, it's a great novel that will leave with with a bittersweet feeling after every volume. This novel explores human relationships really well, and I love how the author does the narration. It is all done in an abstract third person, limited to one character’s thoughts and perceptions at a time. The way the narration shifts from one character to another gives much better psychological insight than anything else could. 

You can also give Sayonara Piano Sonata a shot if you're into the music genre. There's also Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made, which is another interesting one-shot novel that reminds me of Naricissu and a little of Kino no Tabi. You can check out an old thread I made ~a year ago if you want a couple more suggestions, link is in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I started very slowly (far slower than my regular pace) reading Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual Village after noticing it finally got more than two volumes translated, and I've got to say, it's really... amusing?

Generally I would shy away from this type of series because it's usually not to my tastes.  I hold mystery to be more of an umami than a sweet.  Mystery for me goes well when it is paired with something I'm interested in, and in this case it is yokai.  As a self proclaimed mythology/folklore hobbyist, I've read quite a few of the primary documents behind the major faiths, however I've never actually gotten a compendium for Japanese demons, and that's why this series is somewhat fun so far.  After just two chapters, I finally got the feel for it last night.  I summed it up fairly well in a message I sent to my friend last night as I was deliriously heading into sleep.

It seems to be a collection of short stories about the deconstruction and abstraction of yokai. It's nice because not only does it briefly summarize the original tale, but then parodies it in such a way for the parody to be an explanation for the origin of the yokai while still leaving the supernatural element intact.

As a brief example, for the second chapter of volume one, the one I just read, made it kind of easier to understand how the flow of the first two chapters went.

Spoiler

So in this chapterthe yokai of focus was the Funayurei and the setup of the mystery is where barrels filled with bodies of dead people came from.  As the detective of the story lands on an island to investigate, a typhoon rolls in and strands them there.  In this scenario, the Funayurei has the ability to make people on a boat disappear, a clear extrapolation of men lost at sea never being found.  So the people on the island make use of this and turn the island itself into the boat, and use guns as the substitution for the ladle that the Funayurei of myth use to sink the ship and cause disappearance.  As the short story ends and the detective figures this out, he throws away an empty handgun as the bottomless ladle sacrifice to save himself.  The villagers attempting to shoot to kill him find that they can't harm him due to the appeasement, and he escapes with immunity off the island after the typhoon ends back to the regional police station to gather other officers to arrest the village.

I really look forward to reading more of this, and I hope that the format stays roughly the same as the series continues.I don't often find mystery that I enjoy, so when I do it's a great pleasure.

I started reading Youjo Senki when I heard it was going to be adapted. Looks like I just found my sociopath self insert.... A seemingly similar yet different altogether take on the Overlord/NGNL/Log Horizon novel. One being its on an alternate World War I style setting with a mixture of magic and science.

Too bad the translations is going to be slow considering the amount of University level vocabulary being used in it.

DxD, Zero no Maria aaand nothing else currently, lots of the series I've been following on baka-tsuki has been DMCA'd, including my favourite Campione! The worst part is many of them got DMCA'd without getting licenced by yenpress or other similar companies. I moved on to Chinese Xianxia webnovels

9 hours ago, Rilarion said:

DxD, Zero no Maria aaand nothing else currently, lots of the series I've been following on baka-tsuki has been DMCA'd, including my favourite Campione! The worst part is many of them got DMCA'd without getting licenced by yenpress or other similar companies. I moved on to Chinese Xianxia webnovels

That actually doesn't happen very often.  So far, the only two that got DMCA'd like that were Campione and Papa Kiki, both by the same publisher Shueisha.  If you are referring to the Kadokawa takedown, people have been throwing rumors around that Kadokawa is going to revive those series with Bookwalker International, which means we will see a translation if that happens.  Other than that, all the series' that were abandoned have been licensed.

I stay away from Xianxia because it is even more monotropic than shonen is.  It's like the Hallmark of storytelling: if you have read one, you've basically read them all.  They all tell the same exact story but with a different coat of paint, so they become incessantly more predictable as they progress.

Since you liked Campione!, I would point you to Leviathan of the Covenant which is also written by the same author, but I don't understand light novel publishing well, so I can't tell you it's chances of surviving either.  But Magika no Kenshi plays on similar principles as Campione!, but I suspect within 18 months it will probably get an anime and YP license too. :vinty: