Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes! Although the deadline is pretty tough considering the episodes are 50 mins long. It's basically two seasons worth of anime, so I think at least two weeks should be given to watch it.

Wait, what? :michiru:

I thought it was a shortie with 12 episodes :yumiko:

So if its like 12 movies then i request two weeks atleast :sachi:

Yes! Although the deadline is pretty tough considering the episodes are 50 mins long. It's basically two seasons worth of anime, so I think at least two weeks should be given to watch it.

I... wasn't informed of this... (Meaning I missed it like an idiot) If they're like movies then... I think a month would be suitable for this series.

I watched the first episode and I liked it a lot. 

It did a really good job at making you interested in seeing what is to come. Lots of small mysteries were presented, like the Togame's changing eye, her past and true nature of deviant blades. I can't wait to see more.

The characters were interesting as well. I especially like Shichika for his straightforward and honest attitude, I was sold the moment he dropped the: "Don't get me wrong, I did it for you." line. In Togame's case I liked the clash between her klutziness and her competence as a strategist. I'm very curious how their relationship will progress.

And as expected from Nisio Isin, the dialogue and banter between the characters is great. It's just a pleasure the listen to the characters talking.

I think I need to make myself a watching schedule, or else I'll accidentally binge-watch the whole thing and then feel sad while waiting for the next cycle.

It did a really good job at making you interested in seeing what is to come. Lots of small mysteries were presented, like the Togame's changing eye, her past and true nature of deviant blades. I can't wait to see more.

The characters were interesting as well. I especially like Shichika for his straightforward and honest attitude, I was sold the moment he dropped the: "Don't get me wrong, I did it for you." line. In Togame's case I liked the clash between her klutziness and her competence as a strategist. I'm very curious how their relationship will progress.

And as expected from Nisio Isin, the dialogue and banter between the characters is great. It's just a pleasure the listen to the characters talking.

Not to mention the art-style is interesting. It's really unique and makes me feel like I'm reading a comic. I also can't wait to see more cool moves from Shichika, whose personality I liked as well. The comedy was also very nice, for some reason I wasn't expecting there to be any. I guess I thought it was gonna be some serious samurai movie series or something.

Also watched the first episode. Dont really think a spoiler tab will be needed, i realy liked artstyle, characters and setting of the world, a bit of creepines in this ninja guy worked so good aswell. And it didnt even felt like 50 minutes! I even though it was painfully short :yumiko:

I have seen the series before there will come a point a little later in the series that some of the episodes may drag a bit just struggle through them...there is a well crafted and interesting story to be told for those who are able to manage to watch it boring parts and all. I personally rather like each episode with maybe 2 exceptions. 

Well, the writer is the same who wrote monogatari series, so the similarities are understandable. 

The dialogue and the characters are definitely the strong point of the series, it's pretty impressive how 50 minutes of mostly talking can feel so short. 

The antagonists are interesting and pretty well developed without being too much "bad guys", and the Togame+Shichika comedy duo is really endearing.

Well, the writer is the same who wrote monogatari series, so the similarities are understandable. 

The dialogue and the characters are definitely the strong point of the series, it's pretty impressive how 50 minutes of mostly talking can feel so short. 

The antagonists are interesting and pretty well developed without being too much "bad guys", and the Togame+Shichika comedy duo is really endearing.

At least this time around the animation is actually meaningful.  Unlike -monogatari.

Watched the first two episodes of Katanagatari.

It was great, I liked the characters and the setting too. The battle scenes are well-made and the animation is great.

The OST is just awesome, I totally loved it. 

All in all I'm enjoying it a lot, a thumbs up to whoever recommended this.

After watching episode 4 I have a few things I want to say about this anime.

First of all, I am flabbergasted at how they didn't even show the main character fighting the one guy who I was looking forward to seeing a fight with and instead showed the main character's sister battling these guys who we don't even care about in the beginning, and I'm not even mad. I was intrigued/worried at what they were going to do with her in this episode. "Oh no! They're going after his sister!" "Is she going to be kidnapped?" "Is she going to die?" Were thoughts that crossed my mind. And in the end, I was amazed. Amazed at how... different It turned out. I expected her to struggle and fight for her life but... she dominated them all... They showed a side of her I never even expected. I actually got chills from her smile. Her backstory and abilities were so interesting. The fights were short but sweet. And the scary part of all this is, I didn't even know who to root for. I got attached to those Mani Wani guys, they seemed like the perfect little team. And Nanami almost seemed evil... yet I love her character so much. I'm truly considering making this my all time favorite anime forever.

I must thank you, Turnip Sensei, for suggesting this anime, and I feel terrible for voting for something besides this anime now.

Watched till episode 7.

The anime has definitely kept me interested and is still going strong.

I mostly had two episodes to comment on - the 4th and the 7th.

Ep 4

Shiko saved me a lot of work as majority of what I have to say is the same as him.

After watching episode 4 I have a few things I want to say about this anime.

First of all, I am flabbergasted at how they didn't even show the main character fighting the one guy who I was looking forward to seeing a fight with and instead showed the main character's sister battling these guys who we don't even care about in the beginning, and I'm not even mad. I was intrigued/worried at what they were going to do with her in this episode. "Oh no! They're going after his sister!" "Is she going to be kidnapped?" "Is she going to die?" Were thoughts that crossed my mind. And in the end, I was amazed. Amazed at how... different It turned out. I expected her to struggle and fight for her life but... she dominated them all... They showed a side of her I never even expected. I actually got chills from her smile. Her backstory and abilities were so interesting. The fights were short but sweet. And the scary part of all this is, I didn't even know who to root for. I got attached to those Mani Wani guys, they seemed like the perfect little team. And Nanami almost seemed evil... yet I love her character so much. I'm truly considering making this my all time favorite anime forever.

I must thank you, Turnip Sensei, for suggesting this anime, and I feel terrible for voting for something besides this anime now.

Sabi vs Shichika was a fight I was reaaaaaaly looking forward too, and was pretty damn surprised when they just skipped it. Though that Nanami scene was soo good that I had totally forgotten about Shichika's fight.

I still have a slight glimmer of hope that will show this fight later on as a flashback or something. Plus the fact that the PV at end of 3rd episode of that fight was so detailed that it feels impossible they put in such effort to only troll everyone.

Ep 7

Another really important episode, I was looking forward to this episode a lot.

The character development and the revelations were all great. Nanami's death had a lot of impact to say the least.

But I definitely noticed the reduction in the production values, all the scenes in general seemed somewhat lacking and cheap compared to the other episodes and the animation also went down a level. While all the fights before were very well done, this ep they were completely lazy about it.

Well except all the complaints that I have about the visual quality it was a pretty good episode.

It's highly probable that they might have been short on budget or something, but they did do a good job making a couple of 2D game parodies which actually reduced the problem of low visual quality for a few scenes. It would be great if someone could tell me about the production quality drop.

Watched till episode 7.

The anime has definitely kept me interested and is still going strong.

I mostly had two episodes to comment on - the 4th and the 7th.

Ep 4

Shiko saved me a lot of work as majority of what I have to say is the same as him.

Sabi vs Shichika was a fight I was reaaaaaaly looking forward too, and was pretty damn surprised when they just skipped it. Though that Nanami scene was soo good that I had totally forgotten about Shichika's fight.

I still have a slight glimmer of hope that will show this fight later on as a flashback or something. Plus the fact that the PV at end of 3rd episode of that fight was so detailed that it feels impossible they put in such effort to only troll everyone.

Ep 7

Another really important episode, I was looking forward to this episode a lot.

The character development and the revelations were all great. Nanami's death had a lot of impact to say the least.

But I definitely noticed the reduction in the production values, all the scenes in general seemed somewhat lacking and cheap compared to the other episodes and the animation also went down a level. While all the fights before were very well done, this ep they were completely lazy about it.

Well except all the complaints that I have about the visual quality it was a pretty good episode.

It's highly probable that they might have been short on budget or something, but they did do a good job making a couple of 2D game parodies which actually reduced the problem of low visual quality for a few scenes. It would be great if someone could tell me about the production quality drop.

They never actually show it, it actually is a complete troll

Okay, heres my thoughts of ep 4.

First of all i dont watch any previews bacase i dont want to get spoilers....was it realy that detailed? :o Guess ill return to credits of ep 3 <_<

As for the Shichi's sister... there are a couple of things coming to my mind and the very first one is her last words in this episode and death of her father, i can see only two possibilyties:

1) Either it is something like Rurouni Kenshin's ultimate technique where you can learn it only by killing the previous master (sorry for RK spoilers, teehee :sachi: ) and it is the only tech his sister was unable to copy and will play its role in the end where siblings will fight to deaf ( i am sure it is where the things are going right now)

2) Or she was the one who actualy killed her father, out of jelousy or accidently

She really looks evil, she enjoyed those killings too much and maybe this island was like some kind of prison for her... but jack now is out of the box and shit is going to hit the fan.

Gonna watch 3 more tomorrow to catchup with the rest :yumiko:

Ep. 4 is glorious.

I already knew that Shichika wasn't going to fight onscreen in this episodes because I was spoiled while looking for the show, but I had no idea what would actually happen.

Nanami fighting Maniwani ninjas was pretty unexpected, but the oppressive feeling that came from the one-sided slaughter was good change of pace. Nanamis' powers were also a pleasant surprise. I had a feeling that she had some combat prowess, (She was the first to react to the kunai attack in ep. 1) but I never expected her to such a monster. She's the type of OP character I prefer: rather indifferent, and not trying to dominate others on her own initiative.

This episode had also some of the best comedy segments. Bee-man trying really hard to not point out loud the death flags his comrades were setting up and the other death jokes like gem in left breast pocket. And the cigarettes as grave candles was just golden.

I also really like the narrator. The witty comments mixed in the traditional, fairy tale like narration is really entertaining combination. 

Watched ep 8

Nothing realy important..just wanted to note the "tear" on doll's face, it was beautiful..... and also i feel bad for Mani Wani i feel like they are the only party who is struglin in this competition and their resolve to die for the case is admirable.. and as for now i have no idea where the show is going... well....maybe with the exception of feeling Shichi will not survive ep 12... i still waiting this thing from ep 2 to play its part ...the one about "last words are the most important words in your life" i belive it was forshadowing.... oh and second opening was quite colorfull too

^_^ 

update:

Episode 9

So tsuuun~ :wafuu:

Watched episode 10

The revelation about Hitei-hime was pretty interesting, didn't really think that she would be that closely connected with Shikizaki.

I had already figured out Shikizaki's involvement in Kyoutoryuu though.

The part about Hida Takahito has me confused. Now he says that he was trying to correct the errors in history, was he implying that history was being manipulated and the history that the people know is not true or was he saying that history had not turned out as it should have and he was trying to correct past mistakes. I'm guessing that it's the former, especially as Togame says that General Kyuu's hunt had some other objective so it might be related.

Will watch the last two episodes tomorrow.

Okay, just finished the last episode.

Damn, I shipped them so hard.... chiriyo =(

I liked series a lot, every episode was meaningfull and played its part, in this term it is close to FMA level, which is genius. I guess i'll post my mighty scores on next week (Monday or Tuesday) could be quite a lot of text....or not :sachi:

Okay, so I was obviously to hyped and emotional to wait for Monday, so here they are, my Mighty Scores for Katangatari!

Katanagatari_anime-wallpaper.jpg

First of all, before i give scores, i will summarise the story how i understood it, feel free to argue with me and post your own interpritations of what this story realy was about.
I'll start with assumption, i will assume Shikizaki Kiki planned EVERYTHING and everything happened EXACTLY as he planned it, so i will call my interpritation:

The Destiny Route.

In the past there was a man named Shikizaki Kiki, he had a gift to forsee the future and he saw how Japan met its demise, and then he decided to defy this fate and create "another" future. His plan was to replace one shogun (who was the ruler in his visions) with another(which was not suposed to rule) but to do so he needed a weapon, a sword capable to strike this shogun down. In his search of such a weapon, he used his gift and crafted many weapons with technologies of the future, among which was 12 perfect blades. But those weapons was too dangerous to ordinary humans to handle them, they posessed too much power which corrupted mans and he couldnt just let them be, and thats how the final, 13th sword was born. This sword is the thing Shikizaki Kiki was aiming for from the beginning, his role was to fulfill Kiki's goal of striking down the shogun and in process destroy all other swords he created, completely removing his interfernece from "new" world. To save this sword from corruption of other swords Kiki put a "curse" on him, Masters of Kyouto-ryu can not wield a sword, this style was specially designed this way by Kiki himself. Every event from that point to the beginning of first episode was a preparation to craft the ultimate final sword named Yasuri Shichiko. To do so Shichiko needed to be trained and tempered as a sword, he needed skills and resolve to do what he was suposed to do, and that is where Togame's role goes in. She is the means neccesary to turn a perfect sword into ultimate. She forces Shichiko to interract with other swords and their masters, she teaches him(sometimes indirectly) about the world, shogun, swords, feelings, friends, relatives and humans. She raises his temperature to the maximum just to put him in a dead cold water afterwards, creating the ultimate Shikizaki's sword. And as I already said, this whole thing was planned from the beggining by Shikizaki Kiki. Everything except the outcome. In the end, nothing realy worked as he wanted. Shogun was dead
but nothing changed, he was replaced by the relative. Swords was destroyed, but ultimate sword still survived (i am sure Kiki was expecting Shichiko to die in the end too). And all those deaths, sorrow and hatred was in a vain. In the end Shikizaki's plan to defy the fate failed leaving a really bittersweet taste of chiriyo~
The final part of which i am not absolutely sure is Togame and Hitei relationships, but as i see it they were both decendants of Shikizaki Kiriko, hers my reasons:
1) Byoriko, it was said this puppet was made after an image of woman Kiki loved, Byoriko's eyes have same colors as Tagame's parents.
2) This could also explain why Togame's father was leader of revolution, he tried to change fate with his own power, but was stopped by Kyoutu-ryu in favor
of Kiki's original plan.
3) She wears similiar clothes as Kiki in a flashback

I also couldv connected ALOT of things characters (sword masters) said in their episodes and things what actually happened, but it would be too much even for my mighty scores, i am still willing to bring them in discussion if we will have any :illya:

So, after you understand how i saw this tory, here are my mighty scores!

Story 10\10
I am a huge fan of monagatari series, i realy like how literature-like they are, how deeply they are created and since thisone comes from the same aouthor is not surprise i liked thisone aswell. The story of adventure and love, happines and sorrow, lonelieness and friendship, desires and duties,
life and death. It is fucking brilliant! twelve swords out of ten.

Characters 10\10
Protagonists, ManiWanis, Sword-masters and everyone else, i love them, they are so fitting and well designed and worked so well together. 12 Mani Wani Masters out of 10.
I have my regrets about Mani Wanis, i liked them a bit too much, their resolve to die for the case and attitude of Hoo-sama was priceless, and they werent even bad guys they was collecting swords for the sake of their village, unfortunately for them their presence was dangerous to the plan of Kiki, so they was all killed just forthat reason only.
Also if go a bit further, there is actualy was NO bad guys in this story, they all was a puppets and victims to Shikizaki's plans, so i will call him the only bad guy in this series.
And also the moment of Togame's death.... i shiped them so hard...i likes this tsun tsun so much.... i almost cried.... i feel you on thisone, Shichiko-dono...

Soundtrack 8\10
Soundtrack was good, openings was good, endings was good (btw, do you guys noticed how endings are everytime diffirent and have stuff from episode in them? no? go watch em again then)
The only reason its not 10\10 is becase i cant realy remember any track, yes they ws good and fitting, but not memorable.

•Art-style 10\10
Art style was quite special, in a good way, it was stylish yet simple, emotions and fights was drawn really good too, backgrounds...sick moments, bloody moments, fast moments everything was done realy stylish and colorfull. Design of characters was awesome too. twelve colors out of ten (teehee :sachi: )

Enjoyment 10\10
I am really enjoyed the show.. like REALLY... i wouldv had sex with it if i could :yumiko: If fact what 50 minute episode feels like 15 minutes one is not enough, then i just...dont even.... :amane: i dunno, it was so good i dont have enough words for it. twelve words of praise out of ten.

Overall 10\10
Deep, interesting and heartbreaking story, good stuff. I dont think iv seen something better since the FMA's ending....and im talking about FMA manga. twelve chiriyo~ out of ten. If you dont saw it yet, you must, as Shia says "Just do it!"