Fan service is not good! (At least in the modern sense)

Lefon

So i have recently seen the grisaia no kajitsu anime and have to say that i am disapointed with the level of fanservice involved. So after i finished the episode i immediately went over to FSG and asked for peoples oppinions. It was almost unanimously agreed that the fanservice was not needed (atleast by the people that were there at the time).

I also found out that fanservice wasn't always just panty shots and boobs. Someone there at the time told me that fanservice could also be extra attention to detail in the art or really cool looking art. I had no idea such a thing existed in anime. The only time i think i can think of fanservice in that sense is berserker in Fate/zero. So i was wondering about everyones oppinion on the matter of fanservice today and if you think its better or worse.

in the late 70's to early ninetys fanservice was many various things including the ecchi aspects. crossovers (such as having a character in cosplay as another well known character), extra attention to transformations,fight scenes and special effects, running gags sometimes from other popular titles, and other various ways to give a lil extra bonus to fans who watch the show. this was at one time not so much a problem but of course you had some titles that over did it even then (im looking at you sailor moon with multiple transformations a episode, or you robotech with your detailed artistic space and mech shots happening every few mins in some eps).

but somewhere along the line they realized that the ecchi fanservice drew in larger audiences and that equals more sales of copy's of the show and character goods. hell even this was fine at first a few extra panty shots here and there could easily be added with out to much taken away from the show. but like anything else if it sells more units they will take it the next step and after a short time you end up with a title that has no reason having these forms of ecchi fanservice shoehorned in simply to increase sales and when over done it takes attention away from the core of the title. 

some people will blame the industry , the directors and writers and production teams and to a degree this is not entirely incorrect but the lions share of the blame goes to us the fans, if we didn't support this decision with our wallets,ratings,and requests for more of the same it would just be a fad that had died out by now. 

Fanservice in an anime adaptation of an eroge shouldn't really bother you that much, more like you should have expected it from the moment it was announced (hell there was a panty shot in the very first PV)

Little Busters also had fanservice for example.

My guess is that this cheap fanservice is for the sake of getting some horny otakus to buy the blu-rays because the anime adaptation's story might be bad.

Call it a safety net if you will. A cheap one, but one nonetheless.

Fanservice doesn't necessarly mean bad quality though, it all depends on the context it's in and if it's done right, and to be honest, as long as it's not the focus of the show, you can easily turn a blind eye to it.

Sure you can say Grisaia's focus should not be panty shots and I agree it has a nice story to tell, but from what I've seen these panty shots aren't really trying to steal the show. It's just some cheap panty shots, this happens in so many anime already and the fact is that a lot of people get turned on over it, this won't change, it's what a big portion of what people want and the anime market will always try to deliver some form of fanservice. My advice would be to just ignore it.

Fanservice is exactly what the name says, a service to please the fans (or the majority of fans), and if fans want panty shots, they will get panty shots, I'm sure that's what the anime staff thought when adapting an eroge into an anime, they wanted to please fans of the erotic part of the game, which is more than reasonable, they want sales after all.

So don't be too upset over it, it will likely not change.

Someone there at the time told me that fanservice could also be extra attention to detail in the art or really cool looking art.

That was to be expected unfortunately, since the VN had a high content of sex -jokes and whatnot, actually other than the serious part of the plot every joke lead to some kind of innuendo or something of the sort. So GnK in particular was bound to receive that type of "bad taste" fan service if you will, against the more tasteful way of doing things like the VN did. Now I'm not against works that go almost solely for fan service, they have their place, but more often than not it can lead to uninteresting stories, since the producers spend more time on the fan service than on the actual plot.

Carnival Phantasm is basically a fanservice anime for TM fans. All of it. And it's glorious. 

I'm the type that generally dislikes fanservice, too. High-quality fanservice is rare, but nice, even in big amounts. Well, it also depends on the series.

*Madvanced has an image of Amane as a profile.

Eh,from what I know,Amane was the source of the fan service in the visual novel.

What's strange is that her route is the best route of a Visual Novel I have ever read.Seriously,when I saw her,I tought she was a plain-simple characte, but I was wrong.

P.D:Why am I writting with Strike Through when I never enabled it?

Eh,from what I know,Amane was the source of the fan service in the visual novel.

What's strange is that her route is the best route of a Visual Novel I have ever read.Seriously,when I saw her,I tought she was a plain-simple characte, but I was wrong.

In Amane's route it turned out to be important for her story some what. If she wasn't showing Yuji her tits before you got onto her route it wouldn't have examplified how desperate she was for redemption so early into the story.

Yeah, it does depend on the situation. If it is an anime made for more or less the sole purpose of fanservice, then whatever--those who dislike that can just stay away from the start. Adaptations that change from the original for the sake of servicing fans would understandably be upsetting.

This example is slightly different, but I remember Hanasaku Iroha from a few years back. The show was mostly fanservice free and I really enjoyed it. But then they released those lewd pillows of the characters. It is business, but I did react with a little aww what but they would never act that way~