Clephas' Magical Top 50

Clephas

I'm doing this list on a direct request.  Rather than just being a list of 'good' VNs from a particular genre, these are my favorites, in no particular order.  Why?  Because picking out 50 favorites is surprisingly hard when you are getting closer to five hundred played...

Evolimit

Nanairo Reincarnation

Ikusa Megami Zero and Verita

Ayakashibito

Tokyo Babel

Dies Irae

Hapymaher

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Draculius

Devils Devel Concept

Hello, Lady

Jingai Makyou

Muramasa

Grisaia Series

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no

Bradyon Veda

Otome ga Tsumugu, Koi no Canvas

Konata yori Kanata Made

Rui wa Tomo wo Yobu

Tenshi no Hane wo Fumanaide

Tsuisou no Augment

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Semiramis no Tenbin

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Bullet Butlers

Abyss Homicide Club

Izuna Zanshinken

Harumade, Kururu

Natsukumo Yururu

Akatsuki no Goei series

Tsuki ni Yorisou, Otome no Sahou (series)

Eien no Aselia

Baldr Skydive

Baldr Sky Zero

Tiny Dungeon series

Tasogare no Sinsemilla

Koiiro Soramoyou

Sakura Iro Quartett (guilty pleasures, lol)

Natsu no Owari no Nirvana

Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake

Houkago no Futekikakusha

Mirai Nostalgia

Satsukoi

Ore no Tsure wa Hitodenashi

Irotoridori no Sekai

AstralAir no Shiroki Towa

Eden*

Phantom of Inferno

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru ~Futari no Elder~

Suzunone Seven

Ok, a lot of people are going to ask me why their favorites aren't on here...

For a few particular VNs, I'll give you some reasons.  For the Type-Moon VNs, it is simply the fact that I found VNs that did the same things for me better later on.  If the Tsukihime remake ever gets put out, I'll probably have to reconsider that, but until then...

For the Steampunk VNs by Liarsoft... I absolutely loathe the combination of roundabout and repetitive prose in their VNs.  One of the few cases where a VN is better off in English...

For the Key VNs, similar to Type-Moon, I found other companies that did similar things better.  Key just pumps more money into their VNs than others, lol.

You may have noticed I have a thing for chuuni... well, it's no joke.  I adore chuuni, fantasy, and sci-fi.  I enjoy those genres the most, so they are overrepresented here. 

Why didn't I include Seinarukana along with Aselia?  Because I hated the endings.

Why isn't Yumina up there?  For a lot of reasons, not the least because the game starts out way too slowly.

Why isn't Hoshizora no Memoria up there?  Simple.  I liked Irotoridori and AstralAir more.

As for the rest, the less obvious questions... feel free to ask them and I'll answer as best as I can.  I will update the list as old VNs get toppled by new ones or I simply feel it necessary. 

>No Muv-Luv Alternative

What is this.

Also, why the title? ^_^

Why isn't Hoshizora no Memoria up there?  Simple.  I liked Irotoridori and AstralAir more.

I don't think our local lolicons will disagree with you. Inb4 Steve comes in to tell you to play Hikari...

I swear you keep pumping out those lists to tease us until we finally learn japanese...

Anyway, the reason for this is I was asked for just 'what are the top 50 VNs you love the most' and I made up a random topic name for the list, because I'm bored of informative names at the moment, due to the rum in my stomach. 

As for Muv-luv... having to slog through Unlimited and the original makes it a huge downer.  Also, if I hadn't played the FD afterward, Alternative's ending would have traumatized me.  I like utsuge now, but back then I was a bit more innocent.

Everyone agrees that the Umineko anime was way worse than the higurashi one and is just miserably shit compared to the VN. But most people also like the Higurashi VN better than its adaptation (although the adaptation still has some fans). Well, whatever, maybe they're not your cup of tea. 

Also, the umineko anime only covered the first half of the story.

I wouldn't know, I got bored about nine episodes in, both with the characters and the story.  Also, Higu was pretty much my limit with that crappy art style...  It's one thing if it is a VN like Abyss (http://vndb.org/v2537) where the characters are proportionate...

If they remake it with better art later, I'd consider playing it... but since I didn't like the characters in the first place and I don't really have a strong interest in mystical murder mysteries and horror for their own sake...

Edit:  Also, generally speaking, I absolutely hate Ryuukishi's writing style...  English or Japanese.

Edit2:  Generally speaking, the problem is that after Higu I'd grasped the way Ryuukishi thought... so his stories became too predictable (this happens with all mystery authors for me, after one or two books).  Even if he changes settings and even the basic plot idea, I automatically see where he is going with the plot... and ninety percent of the non-comedic fun of Higu was not knowing precisely where he was going with things...

Very, very few people seem to correctly guess the true nature of things by the end of the four Umineko "question" arcs. Also they did remake it with better art, on the PS3 (and was backported by fans to the PC version in a patch), which I liked quite a bit. Unlike the rather bad new higu sprites MG is commissioning, the HD console art for Umineko didn't try to create some obnoxious cute moe style, and it fit really well with the game's atmosphere.  Ryuukushi has a pretty weird writing style at time. He's a better storyteller than writer. Well, I won't belabor the point too much, I guess that's that and I should stop derailing the thread. :P

The biggest surprise to me in your list is probably the Otoboku sequel. Really? That first game was so incredibly mediocre. And I hated the art. What makes the second one good? I'm pretty interested in hearing your thoughts on it since it's one of the few non-chuuni games on there.

The sequel is about twenty times better than the original.  While they both occur at the same school, the protagonist is significantly different (background setting makes more sense, he's more interesting), and the heroines are less 'true to the template'... not to mention that the overall writing is just better.  It occurs a few years after the original, and the new protagonist is a distant relative of the protagonist of the original.  I thought the original VN was awful as well... but the second turned out to be miraculously good.

lol... Phantom was good despite not going for consistency... if that makes sense.  It was brutal, it was bloody, it was cruel to its characters, and it injected just enough realism into the killing to keep me from losing interest.  Also, the localized version suffers from a number of technical problems that the original and the later versions don't (not to mention cut out text and scenes).  To be blunt, brainwashing is possible, if not as simply as Scythe Master's methodology... and theoretically it is possible to create usable, if unstable, assassins utilizing brainwashing techniques and brutal training.  The major inconsistency is the way he selected 'candidates'... in theory, it would have been better to gather a hundred or so teenagers off the streets, force them to undergo the same process, then make the training even more brutal, to the point where it kills off those who couldn't keep up.  After that, just assign them a random target to see if they can do it, and the ones who come back are final candidates for Phantom, lol. 

Nonetheless, the fact that there were only a few candidates fits into the chuuni genre (the 'special' factor) and the fact that the actual VN didn't carry out the bullshit moralizing the anime did at the end or the idiotic mysticism that plagued it mid-series were also good points for it. 

Not to mention that the actual Japanese writing quality was high quality (better than the vampire VN Nitroplus made afterward, at least), which would have made it stand out in any case.  The VN has been remade twice for a reason...

Edit:  Also, there is a reason Bond, Bourne, and bad spy/assassin films/books are so popular in general...

Edit2:  I should clarify... I like bloodshed in general.  However, there are relatively few VNs that have enough bloodshed, murder, and general killing drama to satisfy me.  Phantom is one of those rare ones, lol.

Some questions the first two regarding the Akatsuki Works games:

1) Which do you consider better: RuiTomo, Hello Lady!, or Izuna Zanshinken ?

2) Maybe it's because playing DDC has awakened some form of masochism for my brain, but I've found I'm getting more capable of working through a more advanced JP level VN if there's a good story at the core. Anyway, the question. How much like Comyu are RuiTomo and Hello Lady! seeing as they have the same writer? I can take a dark story, I can even take pretentious dialogue but the prospect of an equivalent of "red color" and "gentle kingdom" repeated dialogue is somehow scarier than any of the monsters I've seen in the horror flicks I've been Netflixing for this Halloween ^_^ .

3) Which do you consider better: Bullet Butlers, Evolimit or Tokyo Babel?

4) Seeing as I've been hitting some pretty dramatic stuff lately (not just VNs), which of these listed would you recommend when I want something on the lighter side? I'm not saying no drama, just not too much

1- Just for raw quality, it would probably be Ruitomo.  For violence, Izuna.  For sheer fun factor (for chuuni lovers) it would be Hello, Lady. 

2- Mmm... Comyu steals the sound effects from Ruitomo at times... and Ruitomo does have that sound that is made when things go all red.  However, the fundamental concept and characters are different.  Hello, Lady... is a bit hard to describe.  I suggest just pulling out the trial version if you aren't sure about it, as it gets to the point where you can grasp the protagonist's persona fairly well. 

3- Mmm... Bullet Butlers has the most on-screen killing in it, but has a really terrible first heroine (the elf girl).  Evolimit has the most emotionally powerful and inspiring story, not to mention some of the most hilarious character dynamics.  Tokyo Babel is great as pure chuuni...

4- Uruwashi no, Otome ga Tsumugu Koi no Canvas, or Suzunone Seven, though Uruwashi no might be a bit too emotional for your purposes. 

Edit:  Bullet Butlers benefits from having some truly awesome antagonists, a protagonist who doesn't even hint at hesitation when the time comes to pull the trigger, and a main heroine who grows immensely during her path.  Evolimit has the benefit of having a heroic but easy to empathize with protagonist and three great heroines (four if you count Aqua, for hers and Ritia's threesome ending).  Tokyo Babel is non-ero and is full of Abrahamic faith apocrypha, has a protagonist full of despair and a strong death wish, and an angel, a demon, and an amnesiac for heroines. 

Hello, Lady's big plus side is one of the most awesome protagonists I've seen in years... he sort of resembles a supremely arrogant and vengeance-bent Yuuji, lol.  Ruitomo is unique, so I generally don't bother trying to explain it.  Izuna Zanshinken is just straightforward superviolent, with great assassinations, bloody scenes, and a protagonist who can be a smiling baby-face one moment and a brutal assassin the next. 

Wonderful list, Clephas. I shall be adding some of these to my 'wishlist' (which I don't use on vndb, but rather, in my mind :3). It's a bit of a habit that I hardly explore the fantasy genre (or rather, any genres other than the one I currently idealize) and I'd want to do so in order to broaden my horizons/expand my views on eroge out there. Being that you're really experienced in the eroge scene, seeing this list is extremely helpful, especially for motivational factors. ^^