Fall 2014 Anime Discussion

Kenshin_sama

Thinking about picking up Sora no Method from the fall season. Is it worth it? I am already watching F/SN UBW, Log Horizon, Madan, Akatsuki no Yona and Trinity Seven from this season.

No, not worth it.

Here's a brief rundown of the events (spoilers):

Nonoka comes back into her hometown after 7 years

Forgot all her friends from that time because that's what regular people do

Encounters her friends from back then and befriends them

One of them remembers who she is and gets all moody over it

The rest of the friends discover this, another one gets mad at her, the other 2 are reasonable people

Nonoka eventually makes up with the remaining 2

Suddenly it's revealed that the saucer exists for the sake of granting their wish from 7 years ago

The saucer also just happens to be Noel

When their wish is granted Noel will disappear

Their wish was  "for them to smile together"

They all get mad at each other again in episode 10 so Noel doesn't disappear

The drama literally revolves around this group of friends who can't communicate with each other and solve their issues and prefer to be mad all the time.

Except during that random hot springs trip on episode 6, because fanservice makes you forget all the drama!

The pacing is awful, it keeps going back and forth between drama and cheerfulness.

If you want to sit down and watch a group of friends acting like babies, go ahead, if not, then go watch something else.

Holy crap Yuuki Yuuna getting all meta with "the world you live in is a lie".

I remember being glad this was "lighthearted" and "More SoL oriented" in the first 2 or 3 episodes.

After episode 10 all I feel is sheer despair and sadness.

Overall though I still enjoyed how everything was executed, the drama and darkness of it all came at the right time and didn't feel rushed,, I also really like most of the characters as well as the OST and the artstyle. It's likely going to end up being my favorite anime this season depending on how the last couple episodes go

imo it trys to hard to be a mix of Infinite Stratos and gundam with overt amounts of fan service

Really?

That's the last thing I'd have thought about when watching it.

Compared to other anime out there how is the amount of fanservice high..?

I mean I've heard the "it's a madoka magica rip off" comment a lot.

But i've never heard anyone complain about it being filled with fanservice

Holy crap Yuuki Yuuna getting all meta with "the world you live in is a lie".

I remember being glad this was "lighthearted" and "More SoL oriented" in the first 2 or 3 episodes.

After episode 10 all I feel is sheer despair and sadness.

Overall though I still enjoyed how everything was executed, the drama and darkness of it all came at the right time and didn't feel rushed,, I also really like most of the characters as well as the OST and the artstyle. It's likely going to end up being my favorite anime this season depending on how the last couple episodes go

That soundtrack is so amazing, it impresses me every week it actually utilizes it (it didn't for a couple episode). The last few episodes have been wonderful, and depending on how it ends, it could end up as my favorite of the season. It started off one of my favorites, kinda went iffy with the Makai suddenly being used in epsidoe 5, weak stuff for a couple weeks, then now full blown amazing again.

Is it just me, or is Togo a Homura clone?

Also, apparently, there's a prequel to the series, though, to put it more appropriately, the anime is a sequel to this one volume novel. That means this entire plot happening has been planned since before the anime started.

That prequel novel is where that girl from the hospital shows up.

They made character art for the previous 3 heroes so i'm hoping they make a prequel OVA or something so we can see what happened. I'm really curious to see how everything turns out.

Indeed this has a lot of elements from Madoka Magica but it's executing it brilliantly and i think there's many key differences that make Yuuki Yuuna a refreshing Mahou Shoujo series.

I made a post on another forum where I related it to Madoka

While I defend Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru heavily, the newest episode yet again made me feel like I'm watching a Madoka clone with Togo pretty much being is a mirror of Homura, same actions, personality, uses guns, same hair color. On the positive side, while it does feel like it's basing itself off Madoka (or at least, inspired by), I still feel it's doing a very good job, the characters (for the most part) are different, while some plot devices are similar, they're used in different ways, and the soundtrack is fucking amazing. Seriously, the OST is one of the best I've heard in anime, simply superb. So, it does feel like Madoka, but at least it's done right and is still very good IMO.

Wow that Date A Live OVA was actually really nice, made me remember why i liked DAL to begin with.

Kurumi was perfect as always. Although the ending was cliche i feel like the whole OVA was pretty solid which is unusual in these kinds of things.

If you like Kurumi in any way you should definitely watch it. It kind of concludes the Kurumi arc from season 1 so if you were disappointed in that, give this 30 min episode a go.

What if you really didn't care about Kurumi? The only thing about Kurumi I like is her design in non-spirit form, and the fact she saved that Miku arc that was complete torture.

And woah, I forgot all about Date A Live. I was on the last episode of the 2nd season (which I really didn't care about), and still haven't finished it even though I watched it while it was airing

If you don't care about Kurumi then unfortunately this is not for you. She was one of my favorites so i really enjoyed seeing this cute OVA focusing entirely on her in human form. It really brought out her charm like never before and i loved seeing it, reminded me of why i like her so much.

DL season 2 was baaaaad, but this OVA was thankfully refreshing after the horrendous second season.

Seriously even ona MAL this OVA managed to rate higher than season 1 and 2.