Considering starting on Muv-Luv, which order are the games played in?

Zodai

There is no hype surrounding Muv Luv Extra. Seriously. Go in with the lowest expectations possible to enjoy it. 

After Alternative you can try Altered Fable for therapy. Chronicles for side stories of Alternative. 

Yes, this is very true. Don't be like me and go in with high expectations. I went in with all the hype and expected a masterpiece. I was so disappointed with what I got that I dropped it and never picked it up since. Now I can't seem to bring myself to pick it up again, which is a real shame.

The real masterpiece comes in through Alternative. Extra is just your typical slice of life VN, with the added militant Unlimited after you finish Extra. Also, isn't Altered Fable still untranslated?

Haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard, Stanleys is 100% right.  Get through Extra to get the base of the story, then move to Unlimited, then Alternative is next.

Just ctrl skip Extra and read Unlimited. You will miss nothing. 

Well, if your like me and can remember the smaller details, you will notice connections being made to Extra while reading Unlimited and Alternative. There is nothing major there, but to me, its just fun to notice the little things.

Yes, this is very true. Don't be like me and go in with high expectations. I went in with all the hype and expected a masterpiece. I was so disappointed with what I got that I dropped it and never picked it up since. Now I can't seem to bring myself to pick it up again, which is a real shame.

I always read the translations notes before I play. I remember them mentioning Extra was the worst game they've ever translated, so I was expecting something really horrible. Your experience is a really big shame though. Alternative is a sensational experience hitting all the high notes in human emotions. I just wished the original Extra cast in Alternative could be switched out with a more likeable cast from the beginning. Grisaia Luv Extra anyone?

I was thinking about create the same thread just today o.o well, now I don't have to \o/

just a question - what's the relation/connection between muv luv and kimi ga nozomu eien? I mean, ingame/storywise, not just the ~setting and producers.

I'm surprised so many people are hating on Muv-Luv. From what I've seen, it's a pretty decent VN. Of course, I didn't go in with the highest expectations, but I am enjoying what I see right now. You can tell a lot of work went into this one, and even the transitions from one dialogue to another are detailed and tell volumes. Honestly, it's a work of art. I'm not disappointed, although I'm guessing I shall be even more impressed when I play Alternative.

I'm gonna have to go with the flowchart here. After Alternative, I was broken for a couple of hours. Lol. Interestingly enough, during the whole experience there were a lot of feels, but the couple hours after the ending, I had zero feels. I felt nothing! Strange experience. It's now my favorite VN. Alternative literally destroys any feels you might have. It's that powerful. That said, as everyone else has said previously, it's the cream of the series. Muv Luv and Unlimited aren't bad by any stretch. It's just, comparing them to Alternative... Well, yeah. No comparison. It's just that good. That said, honestly, I -started- with Alternative and played the other two for therapy. Seriously. It was needed. Lol.

It's also the only VN I refuse to play a second time. Because the first time was memorable enough. Also, because I don't particularly wanna have to feel those feels again. :P

I seem to be more tolerant of most VNs than the entire FuwaForums community, so I'll just go ahead and take that as a personal challenge: Will I be broken after Alternative? Let us see if it can impact me like the bad end of Swan Song...

Go ahead and try it. Honestly, I'm more the lack-of-emotion type of guy, so for something to affect me in the least was strange. I'm not sure why or how, but there were some pretty definite feels after Alternative. Much strangeness.

Well, if anything, I felt like an empty shell of sorrows and despair when I completed Swan Song for the first time. I never even knew there was a good ending.

I haven't played Swan Song yet, though from what I have heard it's an emotional VN. I can't really comment on it because I haven't played it, and it's very possible the feels to be felt there are significantly stronger than in Alternative. Especially if that was what Swan Song was going for.

I'm sure that I'll get around to reading it eventually, though. 

Well, you've got to remember that there's a good ending unlocked right after that depressing bad ending (Honestly though, they could have slapped a Danganronpa label right on that shit and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference), and not just rage quit like I did when I finished the bad ending.

I don't know where it came from, but at least Takeru's outfit is from Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

I was thinking about create the same thread just today o.o well, now I don't have to \o/

just a question - what's the relation/connection between muv luv and kimi ga nozomu eien? I mean, ingame/storywise, not just the ~setting and producers.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien isn't directly tied to Muv-Luv.  The female characters show up in Muv-Luv Extra(Akane) and Alternative(Akane, Haruko and Mitsuki).  The plot is also somewhat referenced in Alternative, but since it doesn't happen in the same universe, it isn't a direct overlap.  Akane Maniax is a closer tie, as it is a direct prequel to Extra.  It's kind of weird though, and the only real thing you get out of it is who Gouda is(the guy who transferred away from Hakuryo just as Meiya transferred in).

Note that this is all based on the anime.  I haven't played the VNs as they haven't been translated.  There's also one called Haruko Maniax, but I don't know anything about that one.

I don't know what it is but I need it! VN, anime, I don't care but this needs to happen.

As Scars Unseen just now said, it's from an old game series called Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and is the sequel to Ghosts 'n Goblins. Don't try them, they're only for the people who like older games like Castlevania.