Is it worth reading Steins;Gate even if you already watched an anime version?

Okami

Help me decide if I should read Steins;Gate VN or not, like is there enough content/events that doesn't exist in Anime, are they good enough/worth  reading a VN for them. Are other routes as good as true ending that was adapted in anime. Thanks.

The scientific explanations are much more detailed in the VN, like how the Gel-bananas, D-mails and their time leap machine works. Furthermore, in the anime they skip one of the characters back stories, but it's something that I think shouldn't be missed. (It explains how Okabe came to die in the future). I don't need to mention the various routes for the other girls, the Feris route for instance is very well scripted, and something every Steins;Gate fan should read.

It's also got a lot more to the story, and it's especially nice to see all the other routes in that game instead of the true route. All truth be told, I never really liked how the animes only focused on one canon ending instead of all of them. I'm hoping that at least the Rewrite anime (if there is one) will have all the endings, as it's necessary to see them to understand the story, and get through the two true end routes. Oh, and I'll be looking forward to the Oppai ending OVA.

I'd say no

You won't be satisfied and it won't be that good

Unless you are ok with having comedy and new routes that aren't really that long, they are just 10-30 min after the common routes and you get the achievement that you finished that heroine's route.

That's unless you have so much free time on your side and don't have other VNs to read .... so reading a 50 hours VN for this might be amusing for you.

Do it for Feiris.

In the anime Feiris was a really minor character. After the VN she became my favorite.

Seriously it's worth it. The extra routes really do provide enjoyable content that the anime did not. Imagine an ending where everything is solved but you decide to be with Mayuri, being forced to sacrifice Kurisu. Stuff like this really makes it worth it for me.

I liked the character art a lot in the novel. They were so detailed, and artistic, I thought they were beautifully rendered. Of course Okabe looked a little weird with his larger forehead and smaller jaw, but I didn't have to look at him much. 

It was a little boring playing it again and going through the scientific explanations again from the beginning. I'll come back to it one of these days to get Suzuha Amane's route. IDC if she's illegal and not even born yet in my timeline. 

S;G has my favorite alternate(non-true) endings. Every main heroine (except Moeka, not something I regretted, to be honest with you) has an alternate ending, and they are rather easy to reach.

You choose not to send the D-Mails that alter their past and remove their happy memories, starting from chapter 6.

It's true that all are just alternate endings but they are all well-written and will make you feel something(in a good way).

One of the alternate endings

(Amane's)

has by far the most tense and scary scene in the whole VN. You owe it to yourself to see all endings, really.

Edit:

I just remembered that one particular scene with Nae(in chapter 9 I think) which is by far the scariest scene, actually. Still, it is not as tense as the one mentioned above.

I liked the character art a lot in the novel. They were so detailed, and artistic, I thought they were beautifully rendered. Of course Okabe looked a little weird with his larger forehead and smaller jaw, but I didn't have to look at him much. 

I don't even remember what Okabe looked like from the VN e.e

I had to go there and check some CGs to remember what he looked like

It covers the true route entirely as well as Kurisu's route.

This is the anime + the movie.

The movie was just a brand new story, it wasn't in the VN or did I miss something?

Every main heroine (except Moeka, not something I regretted, to be honest with you)

Why the hate on Moeka? e.e

I wanted a Moeka's route T_T

Read it, absoutely read it man, the anime doesn't compare to the VN, the VN definitely had a bigger focus on the science, and had some of the best info dumps ever, imo the anime didn't do the VN justice which is saying something since the Steins;Gate anime is a favorite.

Except its not a 50 hour vn.... its 10-30 hours Tops.

I'd say no

Unless you are ok with having comedy and new routes that aren't really that long, they are just 10-30 min after the common routes and you get the achievement that you finished that heroine's route.

That's unless you have so much free time on your side and don't have other VNs to read .... so reading a 50 hours VN for this might be amusing for you.

I don't get why Hsmsful is hating on the VN. It's actually great, in many different ways. And the majority thinks so too.

Everyone has different opinions. Welcome to the internet.

There's nothing wrong with disliking a VN even if said VN is highly praised by the majority.

I know, but I don't get what her (his?) point is. I mean,

"I'd say no

Unless you are OK with having comedy and new routes that aren't really that long, they are just 10-30 min after the common routes and you get the achievement that you finished that heroine's route.

That's unless you have so much free time on your side and don't have other VNs to read .... so reading a 50 hours VN for this might be amusing for you."

For one thing, Hsmsful can't know for sure whether someone else will enjoy it or not. And yes, playing a game after seeing the VN just for new routes in a huge thing, plus you get tons more info and you TAKE CONTROL OF OKABE. Plus, the achievement of finishing a route is pure ecstasy to me, so I know firsthand that it's a good thing. I recommend dropping all the other VNs and just finishing this, or playing them side-by-side as I do to save time. And then Hsmsful goes on to contradict himself (herself?), by first saying that the extra routes are 10-30 minutes long but the VN is 50 hours long. In actuality, the heroine routes will either have to be longer or the VN will have to be shorter for times to match up, even if you count common routes.

The actual routes are not that long. Definintely not 10 hours, probably not even half of that.

Suzuha's route is tiny to say the least.

Feiris and Ruka's routes take like 2-3 hours at most to read

Mayuri's route is hard to define when it begins and ends but it's not really that long either.

Kurisu's route is the longest as you can figure out.

And then the True Route which, again, hard to define when it does begin.

I think it's very worth it to read the VN for all the extra content, as small as it may be it is very enjoyable and this holds true for any VN that has an anime version.

I watched the anime first and loved it. I played the VN months after and I loved it EVEN more. It brought out some of the characters the anime didn't really properly develop like Feiris. I completely fell in love with Feiris after the VN.

But regardless I think Okami has been set on reading the VN now.

I think you're really heavily overestimating the routes. Each one is around 30-45 minutes in length. Even the Feris and Ruka ones. They're honestly really short and that's the biggest downside to the game. But it's still worth it.

I think you're really heavily overestimating the routes. Each one is around 30-45 minutes in length. Even the Feris and Ruka ones. They're honestly really short and that's the biggest downside to the game. But it's still worth it.

I'm a really slow reader then :( It took me more than 1 hour to reach each of them.

Oh well. They're still worth it.

I dunno, Feris was okay, but I had a bit of trouble believing her sincerity at first, and I couldn't really get into it afterwards. Mayuri was honestly my most hated girl. I don't tend to like the moe good-for-nothing clumsy idiot who always need protecting archetypes. No Moeka route is definitely a sin, but I wonder how it would work out considering they were enemy agents and he forced her into a kiss. Ruka is definitely one of my favorites, mostly due to crossgender topics that spawn because of him/her. And that's not to say that he's one of the greatest characters man or woman. Kurisu's route is full of twists and used to maximum effect, but despite being the true route, it never satisfied me. No, it was the Suzuha route that was my absolute favorite. I mean, WOW!

Repetition leads to despair, despair sinks in, accompanied by ruin, and it all turns into madness. You WANT to see Daru die, that's just messed up! And then what? WORKING WARRIOR COMES IN TO SAVE THE DAY! It helps that the saddest song in the album is recognized as Suzuha's theme.

Ok let me start even thou I find it unnecessary

THE VN IS GREAT

I liked its comedy and science thingy , but everyone would say the same so anymore fanboying is not needed , that's why I didn't say anything like that since after all you guys will do it.

Now to clarify things: The time thing was clarified by other members, thanks everyone.

Now for why I am saying these things about THIS HOLY GREAT VN, I am not hating the vn, the greatest thing about this VN is the plot twists. All the plot twists existed in the anime, hence they won't be effective .... probably. I for one won't feel any excitement about the true route. I'd be there sitting with an idle look just admiring the visuals and sounds. I said that because that's my opinion. The VN universe isn't that poor, there are many other good VNs so for me if I have time to play a VN in which I know the events, I'd play another VN instead. Another reason is that here the heroines routes are just small 2-3 hours or 10-30 min incident if you refuse to realter their past to move things to the original right path

(I for one played Ruka's ending in 6 hours because I kept crying and crying )

so yeah you can just watch them on any video on the internet instead of playing the actual thing unless you want to watch more comedy which is something I wouldn't do. Well I am sad I didn't add it to what I said but we are all saying our opinions and our good sir here has the choice of whether to listen to us or not.

Yeah the VN will give you a different feeling about the anime

Yeah it would be enjoyable and the comedy will keep you going

Yeah it will probably enter the best 10 VNs you have read

but that'd still be my opinion and what I would do.

Except its not a 50 hour vn.... its 10-30 hours Tops.

you mean you can finish the game in 10 hours? or 10-30? okay you are such a fast reader

I finished the game aka , all the routes and the CGs after 70 hours of gameplay but well I am a bit of a slow reader

http://prntscr.com/3z7pd3

right from fuwanovel inventory

For one thing, Hsmsful can't know for sure whether someone else will enjoy it or not. 

I said "unless you are ok with having comedy and new routes that aren't really that long, they are just 10-30 min after the common routes and you get the achievement that you finished that heroine's route." right? and I am pretty sure the posts above me clarified how good this VN is so I needn't say more so I gave him my opinion and he has the choice. Now for one thing, SanadaShadow can't know for sure whether someone will enjoy it or not. 

Hsmsful, what order did you do it in? VN first, then anime?

It is pretty obvious that I read the VN then the anime. 

I am very grateful to everyone for giving me their opinions and so much inside of what I can expect. And yea I find this to be enough of new content for me to enjoy it, I was mostly worried that VN also focuses mostly on true ending and that other routes are half assed just there for sake of having a choice, and as people here assure me that that's not a case and that they are decent ending worth reading  that + some of those characters having more background and more events are enough for me. Especially since I liked Mayuri, Feris and Suzu far more than Christina, and I liked Ruka too (My favorite one was Suzu for a record). I'l start reading it tonight, I'l tell you how was it when I finish it. Again thanks you all.