Saya No Uta:Extended Thoughts and Questions (SPOILERS)

babiker

Which is pretty much murdering the entire population, isn't it? :P

Everyone is going to look at this a little bit differently, which is why I think the VN is so good.

Nope, it's more like just turning them to another race that is a superior, that's how I see it.

dood, she freaking lives of the stuff. so i doubt that killing one human is going to keep you going for an entire lifetime. though fuminori does kill (because it tastes better than normal food to him), yet another excuse for cannibalism. All in all, this VN tried pretty hard to convince people that all these crimes were normal under the circumstances it presented; and judging from the posts here, i can say it succeeded quite strongly.

But hey, at least I wasnt convinced that killing and eating humans, just for "the one you love" or some other excuse, was right. ;). not saying it's wrong or anything. eat whomever and whatever your heart desires for all i care! :lol:

I believe that all crimes are normal in the right circumstances, becouse "the end justify the means" is my belief.

Nope, it's more like just turning them to another race that is a superior, that's how I see it.

You have no idea how wrong this sounds.

I any case i don't want to become some ugly organic bloody monster spitting green jam.

So it's a bad end.

I any case i don't want to become some ugly organic bloody monster spitting green jam.

So it's a bad end.

Come on, you have to be more open. From a certain point of view, you become a badass looking little girl. Isn't that cool?

1403385791-1361336671319.jpg

You have no idea how wrong this sounds.

So it's a bad end.

That's because you are looking in that change from a human point of view, and I think that it should be looked from a more objective point of view.

True that said I know most people can't easily do that witch is why I consider Saya No Uta to be rather hard  on psychology and one more reason why I like it so much.

They also lose their body, social standing and quite possibly their mind in the process as well - which is, in effect, killing them. Sure, they might keep their life, but their previous self gets almost certainly murdered.

They also lose their body, social standing and quite possibly their mind in the process as well - which is, in effect, killing them. Sure, they might keep their life, but their previous self gets almost certainly murdered.

Well some sacrifices are needed for a greater good.

So you're pretty much in favour of eugenics. Good to know.

When compering two races you need to look at both of them objectively, and objectively Saya's race is superior.

For the record Saya didn't have to eat humans to live. Do recall that when they were at the abandoned building Saya specifically states that they'll have to survive off her hunting the wild animals nearby, joking about how she has a lot of practice with it, a reference to her time at the hospital when she hunted down all the stray cats... and ate a baby, but thats besides the point. We only have confirmation of Saya ever having eaten two humans (Oumi and the baby), and even then the baby may actually have just been a rumor. 

For the record Saya didn't have to eat humans to live. Do recall that when they were at the abandoned building Saya specifically states that they'll have to survive off her hunting the wild animals nearby, joking about how she has a lot of practice with it, a reference to her time at the hospital when she hunted down all the stray cats... and ate a baby, but thats besides the point. We only have confirmation of Saya ever having eaten two humans (Oumi and the baby), and even then the baby may actually have just been a rumor. 

Yup, they eat them just because they killed them anyway so no reason to let a good meat go to waste when they are already dead.

Killing them by whose standards? I don't agree with all the "superior race" statement, but one point of Saya no Uta is indeed to ask "yes, Fuminori (and therefore you) is socially dead. But is it all there is?"

By the victims' standards, of course. They're the ones who lose (in the sense of getting their previous life taken away), Fuminori has already lost by the beginning of the story.

Not in this case, because it isn't literally killing we are talking about.

It's been a while since I read the VN, but isn't it 95% certain that when Saya blooms, the body of humans only serve as hosts to that new form of life? Thus effectively killing them by any standards possible.

Actually, I would think it's just a sort of metamorphosis, and it doesn't affect the brain. I mean, Saya could function just fine despite being a monster, so it is hard to believe that the people she turned are losing their minds when they change. It's less zombies, more vampires. Besides, maybe I've forgotten something, but how did Saya come to be anyways? Maybe a different monster somehow ended up making Saya a monster, and the original is dead or something. If that is true, it leads me to believe that no one would be negatively affected in this change. That is, if you look at it subjectively, as Saya's race is theoretically superior.

Though we can only guess, the ending epilogue with Black Lagoon wannabe chick more or less gives off the impression that it's more of a merger or metamorphosis. Her body is changing unwillingly, as seen by her cutting off her arm to temporarily halt the change, as is her mind. She still has her memories and old thoughts, but you can infer the thing inside her is swaying her temperament, as old Ryoko couldn't stand anything to do with Ogai, yet at the end there she is praising him as a genius. I dunno, felt like brainwashing to me.

Nobody seems to have mentioned it so let me say that your drawing is awesome Down :D!

Really enjoying the discussion happening here. I feel (and possibly hope) that if this were real life, some of the opinions shared here might differ. We can have very different views when it is "only in theory" and is "just a game/story".

Oh, that's not mine. It's a really awesome fan-art, but I can't seem to find back that guy's pixiv account :s

Such humility is remarkable ! Not even taking the compliment ! Bravo !

Nobody seems to have mentioned it so let me say that your drawing is awesome Down :D!

Really enjoying the discussion happening here. I feel (and possibly hope) that if this were real life, some of the opinions shared here might differ. We can have very different views when it is "only in theory" and is "just a game/story".

I know my wouldn't.

Oh, that's not mine. It's a really awesome fan-art, but I can't seem to find back that guy's pixiv account :s

Gonna have to ban you for derailing this thread. Sorry. :P

I do believe most people would have different reactions to being in Fuminori's situation than they think they'd have. You don't know what you'd do when you date cute colonizing alien-tan until you actually date cute colonizing alien-tan. The discussion on that feels kinda pointless.

I'll just change the title to Saya no Uta Fanart thread and ban everyone else :ph34r:

I do believe most people would have different reactions to being in Fuminori's situation than they think they'd have. You don't know what you'd do when you date cute colonizing alien-tan until you actually date cute colonizing alien-tan. The discussion on that feels kinda pointless.

Precisely. That's why I think the morals implications of the story should be thought on a more global level, rather than "what would I do in that specific situation".

I disagree, If you know yourself well enough and you seriously think about it you can know what would you do in a any situation presented to you.

I'll just change the title to Saya no Uta Fanart thread and ban everyone else :ph34r:

Precisely. That's why I think the morals implications of the story should be thought on a more global level, rather than "what would I do in that specific situation".

But there's no point in doing that if you yourself are not part of those global morals.