Most tear-jerking moments in anime

Nagisa_Fawkes

The ending to Bakemonogatari gets me every time. It's not even really sad. But I feel like the insane change in atmosphere from the final battle to the ending scene is way too much, how everything becomes so light-hearted and happy I can't help but tear up in happiness.

• 4 weeks later...

As usual Clannad is getting more love than Kanon. :( Well I'm here to vote for Kanon, which was the first (and possibly the only) anime that actually got me to physically tear up. What's more Kanon got me to cry twice.  Major spoilers for Kanon up ahead:

Everytime I rewatch this anime I always skip this scene because just thinking about it puts me in a sad mood. Out of all the sad scenes in Kanon I find this to be the saddest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1D-mGbUQw

This was the scene that got me to cry the second time when I watched Kanon for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWz7g-1GS0

(please ignore the first ten seconds of the video as it's just a crappy intro).
Now that I know what happens though, Shiori's story is more heartwarming then sad.

My favorite arc is Mai's arc, however I did not physically cry watching it which is why I'm not linking it.

As usual Clannad is getting more love than Kanon. :( Well I'm here to vote for Kanon, which was the first (and possibly the only) anime that actually got me to physically tear up. What's more Kanon got me to cry twice.  Major spoilers for Kanon up ahead:

Everytime I rewatch this anime I always skip this scene because just thinking about it puts me in a sad mood. Out of all the sad scenes in Kanon I find this to be the saddest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1D-mGbUQw

This was the scene that got me to cry the second time when I watched Kanon for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gWz7g-1GS0

(please ignore the first ten seconds of the video as it's just a crappy intro).

Now that I know what happens though, Shiori's story is more heartwarming then sad.

My favorite arc is Mai's arc, however I did not physically cry watching it which is why I'm not linking it.

HEY ZALOR HOW ABOUT "THAT SCENE". VALFLAME.

ARVIS YOU DASTARD! ~SIGURRRDDDDDD

HEY ZALOR HOW ABOUT "THAT SCENE". VALFLAME.

ARVIS YOU DASTARD! ~SIGURRRDDDDDD

That scene is the single best and most emotional scene I ever experienced playing a video game, (I don't consider Visual Novels video games). Also kudos to recognizing my avatar, pm me if you want to discuss Fire Emblem. 

The ending of Kannazuki no Miko

After Himeko wounds Chikane, and Chikane confesses her feelings, and it is then revealed to everyone (who was too thick to notice) the reasons behind Chikane's actions, everything that she sacrificed just so that the one she loves can live. And after their elopement, Chikane happily resigns herself to fate. It destroyed me, smashed my heart like a little tea cup, and then reforged it anew after the credits finished. The OP and ED's still make me a little teary to this day.

Strawberry Panic

Whenever Miyuki tells Nagisa the tale of what happened to her beloved etiole in the past. They (the animators) manage to show you the emotions that everyone was going through during the time before and after Kaori's death, and helps the viewer to further understand the situation.

Angel Beats!

I personally didn't find the show very teary, prolly just me, but uh, damn good show besides, on with the reasons!

During Yuzuru's second death flashback, as everyone lay on the ground slowly dying, he decided to do something with himself, something that I feel that very few people would have thought to do (but hey, he aint normal). He pulls out his donor card (or whatever it's called), and decides to give up his heart, everyone else sees him doing this, and they decide that they want to do it too. So we've got a section of collapsed tunnel, filled with (Nearly dead) people, filling out their body's last will and testament. I'm sat there sobbing to myself, It was so moving, that he had influenced that group of people so much, that they were willing to do such a thing. And you know what? Right after Yuzu died (presumably of starvation/dehydration, or his wounds) the rescue team gets through. I bet that man had at least one film and several books made about him.

Christ, rant over.

Sunday Without God

When we see Humphrey Hamburger finally accept Ai as his daughter, and they have a father and daughter moment before he passes away

The Eccentric Family

When we find out the true story behind the father's death and what led one of the brothers to turn into a frog

The first 10 minutes of Kotoura-san.

To have such a youth must be horrible in its own way. And her mom was a bitch for leaving her like that, damn.

Clannad: After Story

Talk about crying like a baby. Nagisa's death got me good. Followed up by Ushio's death, it was the perfect combo to make my heart die.

AIR

"Mama! Mama!" My tears didn't stop and I couldn't look away.

Little Busters! Refrain

When Kyousuke started to cry, my heart broke.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

A 12 year old girl who faces death is already hard enough.

Byousoku 5 Centimeter

Talk about a realistic anime. It crushed me slowly after re-watching it 241 times (yes, I've counted every single time)

lol what a thread to make. Too much shit to list. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was the first one to break me apart.

And I have to agree, 5 centimeters per second did a nice crushing blow to me. I've rewatched it countless, and countless of times. Even just listening to the audio while working.

I hear Katanagatari had some fellas crying in the end, I saw the whole thing and I was just angry about it haha.

I won't spoil it for you and I think it's still worth a watch because the ending packs a heavy punch and it's only 12 episodes.

I know i just said aria originations final episodes,

But i must add one more to that: anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

This series really made me tear up

Why did menma have to die, why could she not come back to life.

Never did i want a character to come back to life quite so badly.

• 2 weeks later...