Fuwanovel Podcast (Fuwacast) Official Thread

OriginalRen

Hey all, I would like to make a little spiel about the podcast if I may and something that I believe should be addressed going forward, so bear with me if you please. First things first though: the OP has been updated to reflect the next 3 episodes of the podcast. If you are interested in volunteering for any of them or want to ask questions about the topics and what they entail, please do so; the sooner we get the ball rolling the better.

That being said, I wanted to address the recent episodes I posted on the Mixcloud account and some of the issues surrounding them. It was extremely disheartening, no, soul shattering, to receive a plethora of messages from individuals on Fuwanovel berating the podcast and saying that the direction I have taken it is and always has been a waste of time. Now, this post is not meant to get angry at those people because in the end, I appreciate the suggestions and advice. However, what I want them and everyone to understand is that this podcast is something I take very seriously. I try to treat it with the same level of professionalism I would any other project I am passionate about, and because of that, I wanted people to understand that I will always try to put my best foot forward when it comes to producing it. Nothing is perfect, nor am I a professional in this field of work, however I consistently try to make a product people can look back and and say, "Wow, that was fun to listen to!"

Everyone gets nervous. Hell, I am practically shaking when we start an episode. What if it doesn't record and I wasted all these people's time? What if someone doesn't speak? What if we don't have enough time, or worse, run out of time? All of this is running through my head. I may be used to publicly speaking in front of others more than some, but in the end I am right there with everyone else: standing in my underwear praying nobody notices.

That being said, I wanted to post this to let everyone know that I appreciate criticism, however please understand what I, no we, do as a group is not a simple task. Organizing it is one thing, but producing it is another.

With that, thank you for the continued support and the enthusiasm for the project.

Best,

Ren

It's quite saddening to hear that some people dislike the way you're directing (?) the podcasts after seeing the amount of effort you put in this project.

It's normal to be nervous when talking like this. Even I, having as much experience as I do when it comes to talking in front of a crowd, was thinking things like "What if I mess up?, What if I'm so nervous that I can't speak properly?". But even though we may be anxious, we give our best when we have to.

Also, I'm completely sure that, just like some people who don't, there are a lot of people who support this project and, of course, you. Those may be only the ones in this thread but I'm sure there are others who, even if they don't post something, they're waiting for a new episode to be released.

P.D: I'd like to volunteer for Episode 8.

Updated from this point on. I still need a couple of more volunteers for the Hoshizora no Memoria and Mekakucity Actor's episodes. In addition, Rooke's idea needs some volunteers as well! Anyone is welcome, so feel free to help out.

Remember that episode release dates will be posted much slower from here on out (about 2 every month), so I am not in a rush. However, having volunteers is helpful.

I think the state of the official localization scene would make for an interesting topic, and perhaps some discussion of where it was and where it's going--or even why one should care about official localization at all.  Similarly, a discussion / debate about VN piracy and its impact would make for an entertaining episode I think.

I think the state of the official localization scene would make for an interesting topic, and perhaps some discussion of where it was and where it's going--or even why one should care about official localization at all.  Similarly, a discussion / debate about VN piracy and its impact would make for an entertaining episode I think.

I agree with that, those are quite the polemic topics but interesting stuff could come out of it.

Also I want to see sanahtlig on a podcast. =o

That being said, I wanted to address the recent episodes I posted on the Mixcloud account and some of the issues surrounding them. It was extremely disheartening, no, soul shattering, to receive a plethora of messages from individuals on Fuwanovel berating the podcast and saying that the direction I have taken it is and always has been a waste of time. 

Not cool peeps. Although it's the typical sort of juvenile behaviour you find on the internet, so I'm not surprised it happened.

You're doing a stellar job OriginalRen, and btw I support Sanah's suggestion for a topic.

Here's a peek at the new fuwacast videos. I'm not quite sure what to do with that bit of blank space under the Fuwacast logo. I'm not sure if putting the questions there will really work out. Let me know what you guys think.

Maef suggested using the forum colors, and I think it looks pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjCOnO0vbY&feature=youtu.be

Here's a peek at the new fuwacast videos. I'm not quite sure what to do with that bit of blank space under the Fuwacast logo. I'm not sure if putting the questions there will really work out. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNoMzXx4HM&t=1m32s

Yeah, that empty space is pretty bad, it's in a spot where you'd expect something to be, but at the same time I don't think you need any sort of text in the video besides names and the title.

I moved things around a bit, and I think this configuration looks pretty good. I centered the logo and shrunk everyone but Ren's boxes to 90% of both height and width so that they fit better under the logo. Of course the box in the middle should align with the top and bottom of the guest boxes, but you get the point. Ren's box can also be moved to the top so that the "With your host" and "And special guests" can be at the same height.

TlawfK3.png

Maef suggested using the forum colors, and I think it looks pretty rad.

This is great !

A few questions :

How much time did these 4 minutes take to make ?

What software did you use ?

Can you share the background image (the photoshop format, so we can easily make modifications) ? This way we can work on several episodes at the same time.

How did you manage the glow surronding the avatar while the members talk ?

Edited by Guest

This is great !

A few questions :

Can you share the background image ? This way we can work on several episodes at the same time.

Thanks!

After all of the layers are set up, it probably took about 10 minutes. But I don't have a lot of experience with video editing, and have to look a lot of things up. It takes me a while. heheh

Sony Vegas. Which is not free, I just happened to have a copy. There's no reason why it couldn't be done is some other video editing software, though. Vegas is just what I had.

Can you share the background image ? This way we can work on several episodes at the same time.

Sure. I switched things around and went with Flutterz's layout. I think it makes better use of space.

Download link:

http://a.pomf.se/kcaxtz.psd

I have 2 layers for each person. Their normal avatar on bottom, and their "active" avatar on top with a border to give it the glowing effect. Their normal avatar is always visible, and just put in the other avatar when they are speaking.

X6kJ25V.png

I really like the progress on the YouTube videos. Keep it up.

Also, I am in need of 1 volunteer for episodes 8 and 9 respectively. Once we get that final member we can start setting dates for recording. If anyone is interested in those, check them out in the OP and let me know.

I would like to present a new topic for discussion, piracy vs localization. If anyone hasn't noticed yet, this topic got a lot of attention on a thread were a user asked for the removal of both planetarian and grisaia; both which will be getting official translations. Some people were furiously defending the fan translations, while the other side tried to point out that doing so would do much more harm to the industry than good.

The major problem with this topic would be that many people are quite passionate about it, and things might easily get out of control. But its still a very important topic, so important infact that I believe the other episodes should be adjourned till this one is done (also they seem to be missing some volunteers). But that’s just a suggestion.

I would like to present a new topic for discussion, piracy vs localization. If anyone hasn't noticed yet, this topic got a lot of attention on a thread were a user asked for the removal of both planetarian and grisaia; both which will be getting official translations. Some people were furiously defending the fan translations, while the other side tried to point out that doing so would do much more harm to the industry than good.

The major problem with this topic would be that many people are quite passionate about it, and things might easily get out of control. But its still a very important topic, so important infact that I believe the other episodes should be adjourned till this one is done (also they seem to be missing some volunteers). But that’s just a suggestion.

If this is going to happen, I want to be part of it. Actually, no

Worst idea NA

Sure. I switched things around and went with Flutterz's layout. I think it makes better use of space.

Download link:

http://a.pomf.se/kcaxtz.psd

I personnaly prefered you old layout, I think that displaying the topic in a manner that it is easily visible is better. Plus it threw off the horinzantal symetry which made it look nice.

Could you link both ?

And supposing we go for Flutterz' design, where do we put the topic ?

Worst idea NA

I don't get it, DrKleiner, why would this be a bad idea? Sure, it'd be controversial as F, but it should make for an interesting discussion non-the-less, as long as everyone is able to keep it civil, of course.  :mellow:

I personnaly prefered you old layout, I think that displaying the topic in a manner that it is easily visible is better. Plus it threw off the horinzantal symetry which made it look nice.

Could you link both ?

And supposing we go for Flutterz' design, where do we put the topic ?

Sure, here's the original template. [a.pomf.se/tobttr.psd]

I just think having that big empty space just for some text is too much.

What if we did something like this? Putting the text for topics and questions above the space for images.

x8ycqFS.png

edit: Or maybe something like this?

ezhVaDO.png

It is an interesting topic to consider, however I won't cancel other planned episodes for the sake of throwing together something based solely on the fact that Fuwa had an explosion of argument.

I myself will also be participating in the topics if I need to.

Dood, you take half the time asking and explaining, and the other time half expressing your opinion and giving examples. And whatevers left is for us the guests :Kappa:

Edit: I was kidding! For Gods sake... wasn't it obvious with the kappa?