Love Live! School Idol Festival Thread

Nosebleed

I finally picked up my JP game today and tried to sort out my member list as motivation for playing it more...

Let's hope that it works!

Congrats to those who got the tiers they wanted -- I got into Tier 2 just fine, so Nico-chan is happily sitting in my Pure Team beside Maki.

Consequently, sorry for those whose draws didn't turn out as they hoped.  :vinty:

Random thoughts: Love Live titles make no sense

It's not uncommon to hear people say Japan is bad with foreign languages.

It seems that the Japanese have this axiom of randomly pushing foreign words into whatever song they're trying to sell and people always enjoy it.

Yet if you analyze pretty much any song that's mass produced, especially in the idol industry, you'll quickly realize how dumb most of the titles really are.

So let's go through a bunch of Love Live songs and take appart their titles to see which make sense and which don't.

Note I'm only going to go over the best album songs, I may do it again for individual singles but I cba right now.

Also this is not meant to bash Love Live, just the fact that Japan doesn't have a knack for naming and it really shows.

Lastly I could nitpick at more songs for several other reasons, but I decided to simply stick with how poorly the titles are written.

1. Yuujou no Change

Starting things off great with a title that doesn't know if it wants to be Japanese or English.

Yuujou means "friendship", so far so good right? But then you have "no".

"no" in Japanese is a posessive particle, so if you were the apply the posessive rules it would either be "Change of friendship" or "Friendship's change".

Wait what? That doesn't make any sense does it? Yep, because the "no" is not a Japanese no, it's the English negation particle "no"

So Yuujou is Japanese and "no change" is English. Friendship no change... yep, still broken. 

The goal here was to go with "Friendship doesn't change" which in Japanese could simply be "Yuujou kawaranai" (doesn't that sound 10 times more appealing?), but all they mustered was broken English grammar.

2. Baby Maybe Koi no Botan

Again trying to shove English where it doesn't make any sense.

"Koi no Botan" simply means "Love's button" or "Button of love", which sounds fine since botan is a borrowed word in Japanese.

But why the hell is "Baby maybe" there? It makes no sense. There's no way to fit it in the title and make sense.

"Baby maybe, love's button". What the hell does that even mean? The song only ever mentions "baby maybe" twice and it's in the background while they're going "Zuttooooo~"

Japan pls.

3. Sweet&Sweet Holiday

This one is completely in English so there's no need to take it appart.

Now why are you using sweet twice? Couldn't it just be "Sweet Holiday"? Wouldn't that make twice as more sense while using half the words?

How is something sweet and sweet?

As Maki would put it: イミワカンナイ

4. A-NO-NE-GA-N-BA-RE!

W-Why? Why all the caps? Why the dashes? What's the point?

For those who don't know, the proper spelling would be "Anone ganbare" 

"anone" is a set expression that means something like "listen here" in English, basically a call out for someone to pay attention to you, and "ganbare" means "do your best"

Why not just use the proper spelling? Stop making things more complicated for us.

5. Aishiteru Banzai

For starters, "aishiteru" means "I love you".

I'm sure you're all familiar with the word "banzai" and how it's used, so how does it make any sense to put it after this sentence?

Do you ever picture yourself saying "I love you! Banzai!" to your loved one? Yeah, me neither. And worst of all is that they just nonchantantly say "banzai", it's not even your average "hooray!", it really doesn't make any sense for it to be there other than to make the lyrics' metrics work. This is a horrible habit that Japan has.

6. Daring!!

This one is probably the worst offender.

Unless you're familiar with the song, you've already most likely read the title wrong if you're an English speaker.

It's supposed to be "Darling", but "Darling" in Japanese would be ダーリン (Daarin), but that's if you're spelling it with kanas! If you're going to use latin letters, why the hell do you not spell the word "darling" properly! And even if you were to transcribe kanas, there's no "G" at the end!

This title is the worst misspelling in Love Live history. I'm so sorry you were forced to be part of it, Maki.

Now, out of all the songs in the album, 6 poorly titled ones isn't a horrible number, but really there was no reason for this. I really suggest you start focusing on proper Japanese titles, Love Live.

Translator's note: Banzai was originally a Japanese battle cry and was related to the emperors in the Meiji period, but now it carries the stigma of something like "hooray!", a cry that symbolizes something of fortune just happened. The direct translation would be "10000 years" but nobody uses that.

English became familiarized with the word "banzai" through Japanese war movies where people would shout banzai while commiting suicide in kamikaze attacks.

There you go.

I'd imagine explaining any of the words is redundant to most, though I do think most people are more familiarized with aishiteru than they are with banzai.

I thought about writing on how awful they are at using English inside their songs after seeing this (I'm soldier heart gives me headaches and it isn't even the worst example), but I guess most people realize that too. 

Props for writing this up. I guess most people knew about it already, but helping the jp illiterate (I imagine most people realize this much even if they're not learning jp simply because of their anime experience) is always nice. 

You guys just don't know how to appreciate the charm of engrish  :makina:

edit: I know it's not as good as the OP but let's be fair here Spice and Wolf's OP is one of the best OP's in the history of anime so...

PS: I hate Mermaid Festa pt. 1 so much, I keep failing at the fast part before the chorus  :amane:

There's also Love Marginal, which is poor, because it should be Marginal Love.

Also, are you discluding incoherency? There's Love Wing Bell ( actually, does Love Wing or Love Bell mean anything?) Dancing Stars on Me, Happy Maker (???), Spicaterrible (making up words I see :sachi:), Beat in Angel (Beating Angel?), Storm in Lover (again, Storming Lover?)

On a side note, I never thought about it, but Love Novels is a pretty cool name. It has a line with something like "Is my love just a side plot?", pretty creative IMO.

Also, always annoyed me, Rin's solo is "Koi no Shigunaru Rin rin rin", but the Shigunaru is the literal transcription of the katakana, the word is actually Signal, AKA Signal of Love. Why do they use English some times and not here, making a really complicated Katakana mess?

Last song scanning through library, "Suki desu ga, Suki desu ka?" is such a troll name for those who have 0 knowledge of Japanese, keeping the ga and ka straight :makina:

I only used songs from the first album, there's several others outside of that. I'll probably do more some time, I'll also probably analyze a couple songs that make jack shit sense.

I didn't include Rin Rin Rin on this one because they actually use the katakana to write "signal" so it's proper spelling (in Japanese)

Got 1st try FC on Wonder Zone

tYLoabi.png

Almost FC'd Start Dash in 1 try too

xWHIqxH.png

The funny thing is on the score matches I probably have a higher % chance of FCing Start Dash over Wonder Zone, I kinda choked and hit a bad somewhere in the middle.

Also did a 10+1 got 2 SRs. Both healers. Bleh, score ups > everything else. My teams are pretty weak and the last time I remember ever failing was trying a EX the first time during my first couple days of starting. That was when I was rank 11 or something.

Wow, good job Marie!

When I woke up and did my normal scouting to get the new N, I pulled my first R pure Nico. After more than half a year of playing, I finally got my first pure Nico. I would like to thank RNG-sama for being on my side for once and not such a troll :amane: . I'm excited for a R, so sad #nonotreallyokmaybe

This draw did happen right after my first Wonder Zone clear.

I'm not talking about how to get an UR,though- it was what you should do after you get one. Wasn't there a post by nosebleed with descriptions for each girl? I even remember Umi was related to drinking sea water or something of the like.