Rewrite Protagonist... Am I the only one?

AMMSY

I said that was rushed, but ended taking another way in the middle. Kotori's was rushed for me because it was a calm route, but then it started to get serious, when they were attacked, and after that, when the big battle was coming... the end. Shizuru, the love between them was being developed, but no significant fights during that. Then Gaia attacks.

Chihaya and Sakuya were useless in this route. They just appeared to simply not fight. "Hey, we're here to kill you all. But... nah, let's go forever."

I didn't like the way it ended too. I thought they would try to stop what was happening, that they'd find a way to save the world, but Kotarou, out of nowhere, decided to do what he did. And then, the end. There wasn't, for me, a good final writing there. It was like "we have to finish this route, so let's skip everything that could happen from now on, and just give them a Bad End."

That's why I think they were all rushed. Except for Chihaya's, of course, that could end really sooner.

I said that was rushed, but ended taking another way in the middle. Kotori's was rushed for me because it was a calm route, but then it started to get serious, when they were attacked, and after that, when the big battle was coming... the end. Shizuru, the love between them was being developed, but no significant fights during that. Then Gaia attacks.

Chihaya and Sakuya were useless in this route. They just appeared to simply not fight. "Hey, we're here to kill you all. But... nah, let's go forever."

I didn't like the way it ended too. I thought they would try to stop what was happening, that they'd find a way to save the world, but Kotarou, out of nowhere, decided to do what he did. And then, the end. There wasn't, for me, a good final writing there. It was like "we have to finish this route, so let's skip everything that could happen from now on, and just give them a Bad End."

That's why I think they were all rushed. Except for Chihaya's, of course, that could end really sooner.

Yeah I suppose there's a bit of pacing inconsistency there, much like several routes in Little Busters.

Theres an insane amount of inconsistency because it has 3 writers on it, Shimokura is a giant joke and R07 is a goof. Its much better if you only look at as Kotoris being the beginning, Akane, Moon and Terra.

Aww Ryukishi was fine  :(

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Lucias route is really 'bad', it's just really off the walls and pretty disconnected from everything. And it gets kinda strange in parts. It's a hell of alot better than what Shimokura did for it, anyway.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Lucias route is really 'bad', it's just really off the walls and pretty disconnected from everything. And it gets kinda strange in parts. It's a hell of alot better than what Shimokura did for it, anyway.

I guess... Albeit flawed, I think it's still the best written route from all five, which is why I said it was 'so good it almost feels out of place'.

But I'll take a solid route over a cohesive but poorly done one anytime.

Well, Rewrite is just the best Key's VN imo, I read them all (except Clannad and Air) and damn, it's just so refreshing to have a VN made by Key who is actually interesting from the beginning to the end, not stuck to minor details and boring SoL during the whole game.
And yes Kotarou is undeniably a very good protagonist, NOT a disgusting bland MC like a lot of VN (although Rance is the best hey) he has a strong personality as has been said and he's very well constructed during the VN (even if I didn't like Terra's Kotarou) .

For the precedent discution, Lucia is the best route of Rewrite. I agree, her route is kinda disconnected from the rest but when you look at the route itself, who is totally mastered and well written (we're talking about Ryukishi ), it's very very solid, this route knew its objective and doesn't deviate from it, there was a good balance between the relationship with Lucia & Kotarou and the rest.
The message is maybe simple and there is some failures but overall it's just phenomenal and the whole thing is deeply satisfying.

For the precedent discution, Lucia is the best route of Rewrite. I agree, her route is kinda disconnected from the rest but when you look at the route itself, who is totally mastered and well written (we're talking about Ryukishi ), it's very very solid, this route knew its objective and doesn't deviate from it, there was a good balance between the relationship with Lucia & Kotarou and the rest.

The message is maybe simple and there is some failures but overall it's just phenomenal and the whole thing is deeply satisfying.

I'll agree that Lucia's route is better than the majority of side routes in Rewrite, but I would definitely not call it well written. It has an insanely hardcore flop near the end with Kotarou randomly turning into the biggest dumbass of the century, the main antagonists plot is mostly just cultist insanity without any reasoning and the entire route has an insanely harsh atmosphere problem. Horror, Romance/Romcom, Action, etc. I'm not even sure Lucia's route really even had a message, to be totally honest. It's more of an Omake.

I'll agree that Lucia's route is better than the majority of side routes in Rewrite, but I would definitely not call it well written. It has an insanely hardcore flop near the end with Kotarou randomly turning into the biggest dumbass of the century, the main antagonists plot is mostly just cultist insanity without any reasoning and the entire route has an insanely harsh atmosphere problem. Horror, Romance/Romcom, Action, etc. I'm not even sure Lucia's route really even had a message, to be totally honest. It's more of an Omake.

It's well written, I know I shouldn't talk about my personnal feelings when discussing about it but I'm REALLY allergic to anything who tend to be "moe" and Lucia's route just cured me, the date scene is  very good in this point, that was the first time of my life I didn't puke facing this sort of romance. It's obvious that the antagonist is pretty useless, it was just a pretext and it's one of the  route's failures yeah but what next ? There isn't any atmosphere problem at all, I mean the transition between each "phase" is fine, it's not like Lucia changed her mind at X moment just for the plot's sake, as has been stated many times, she was mentally weak, and I really will call this variety of atmosphere a strong point of this route. About the idiocy of Kotarou, he's dumb yeah but : is it not credible ? or incoherent ? At this point you just didn't like the story itself, Lucia's route is pretty much the only Rewrite's route romance centered and I didn't find the tactless Kotarou surprising given the other routes.

Concerning the message, the route has one , rather cliché but in the end, all that really mattered was that Kotarou loved Lucia and what it was good isn't the message but the execution itself, I don't reproach many things.

(And sorry for my english, I still have some problems it comes to write.)

It's well written, I know I shouldn't talk about my personnal feelings when discussing about it but I'm REALLY allergic to anything who tend to be "moe" and Lucia's route just cured me, the date scene is  very good in this point, that was the first time of my life I didn't puke facing this sort of romance. It's obvious that the antagonist is pretty useless, it was just a pretext and it's one of the  route's failures yeah but what next ? There isn't any atmosphere problem at all, I mean the transition between each "phase" is fine, it's not like Lucia changed her mind at X moment just for the plot's sake, as has been stated many times, she was mentally weak, and I really will call this variety of atmosphere a strong point of this route. About the idiocy of Kotarou, he's dumb yeah but : is it not credible ? or incoherent ? At this point you just didn't like the story itself, Lucia's route is pretty much the only Rewrite's route romance centered and I didn't find the tactless Kotarou surprising given the other routes.

Concerning the message, the route has one , rather cliché but in the end, all that really mattered was that Kotarou loved Lucia and what it was good isn't the message but the execution itself, I don't reproach many things.

I don't think Lucia herself was the reason for any of the routes problems, really. Her character's actually pretty diverse, you see her in alot of phases. While she can be kinda.. over the top I guess, I don't really think shes bad.

I don't really agree at all with the phase shifts being fine. The route ends up having no tone at all because it cannot decide at all what it wants to be. I kinda wish the whole horror atmosphere stayed throughout the whole thing, because that was at least.. interesting to see. But yes, Lucia's super dere side is a treat, but considering that came right after the horror/mystery segment (which had the R07 laugh-at-you-smugface.jpg twist) and how rather grim the later parts get after, it's just.. incredibly out of place.

And no, I don't find Kotarou's stupidity near the end comparable to any of the other routes. He can be a bit foolish and irrational at times, but never, ever anywhere else does he show the "BUT WHAT DOES SHE MEAN????????" level of donkan he showed near the end of Lucia's route. It partially ruined the ending for me.

I don't think Lucia herself was the reason for any of the routes problems, really. Her character's actually pretty diverse, you see her in alot of phases. While she can be kinda.. over the top I guess, I don't really think shes bad.

I don't really agree at all with the phase shifts being fine. The route ends up having no tone at all because it cannot decide at all what it wants to be. I kinda wish the whole horror atmosphere stayed throughout the whole thing, because that was at least.. interesting to see. But yes, Lucia's super dere side is a treat, but considering that came right after the horror/mystery segment (which had the R07 laugh-at-you-smugface.jpg twist) and how rather grim the later parts get after, it's just.. incredibly out of place.

And no, I don't find Kotarou's stupidity near the end comparable to any of the other routes. He can be a bit foolish and irrational at times, but never, ever anywhere else does he show the "BUT WHAT DOES SHE MEAN????????" level of donkan he showed near the end of Lucia's route. It partially ruined the ending for me.

Ah, I somehow understand what is the problem , guess I can't really argue about this because our vision of the route is totally opposed. After all the horror atmosphere disappeared because the principal mystery is cleared and it's the same for the other phase shifts, that wasn't abrupt at all, the fact the route was versatile in many good ways, imo, really seduced me actually.

And I didn't say Kotarou was comparable to any of the other route, he's just incomparable in this romance domain because that's the only route when he is in such a situation, from it,he was just foolish like many MC when it comes to love and I'm rather accustomed to it, I can't say that was a good point so.

Seems like a lot of people around here have their rose-colored glasses on too tightly. Plot can't stand by itself on Romance alone.

This ^

It doesn't matter that Ryukishi wrote this he isn't a perfect being he is just a person and people can make mistakes just as no story is perfect and everything has it's flaws.

It's all fine and well to like Lucia's route that is your opinion, but what shouldn't be appended to your opinion is that the writing was a golden masterpiece because you are thinking entirely subjectively and not bothering to account for any of it's shortcomings. Try looking at it from an objective angle and you might actually notice some of its flaws.

You can like the route just fine.

but a plot that lacks any sense of coherence or realistic implications doesn't make good writing. Bad plot is bad simple as that.

If you really want to argue your reasons for the writing being good then I challenge you after reading my earlier post to explain to me how it is actually both a realistic and feasible scenario in the fist place.

Every story has its flaws and Lucia's route has a myriad of them far from being perfect, but I don't begrudge anyone for liking it as that is their own opinion.

but a plot that lacks any sense of coherence or realistic implications doesn't make good writing. Bad plot is bad simple as that.

This. THANK YOU. Very well said.  :)

Anyway, it's as if Ryukishi07 used the last half of the route in order to somehow tie in to Rewrite's premise. Admittedly, the dark and intriguing part of Lucia's route--although better than the others--seems out of place, since I never saw the plot of Rewrite as 'dark' in any way. The VN itself wasn't toned and atmospheric enough to show for it's "epic" plot, it's also incohesive and rather inconsistent.

However, I still personally like Lucia's route despite its ending. Didn't flip out over it. And I have a thing for tsunderes.

Seems like a lot of people around here have their rose-colored glasses on too tightly. Plot can't stand by itself on Romance alone.

This ^

It doesn't matter that Ryukishi wrote this he isn't a perfect being he is just a person and people can make mistakes just as no story is perfect and everything has it's flaws.

It's all fine and well to like Lucia's route that is your opinion, but what shouldn't be appended to your opinion is that the writing was a golden masterpiece because you are thinking entirely subjectively and not bothering to account for any of it's shortcomings. Try looking at it from an objective angle and you might actually notice some of its flaws.

If you really want to argue your reasons for the writing being good then I challenge you after reading my earlier post to explain to me how it is actually both a realistic and feasible scenario in the fist place.

Every story has its flaws and Lucia's route has a myriad of them far from being perfect, but I don't begrudge anyone for liking it as that is their own opinion.

How can you say "objective angle" when talking about a story ? Or writing ? Especially when talking about this route.  Damn I wanted to answer but that's actually just incredibly dumb. You  complained about the Adam/Eve thing ( it said they're searching an Adam, hey). But never mind, be focused on the scientist story is like skipping the route, it's typical from Ryukishi's writing, the only people who think it's bad written are inflexible people, I don't want to extrapolate but it's a fact, that's the same thing for Umineko and Higurashi's haters who played the game just to find the culprit, it's more than that, don't be stuck on a mechanical view of a story, with this mentality a lot of books and VN have been wasted.

I don't want to waste my time arguing about an "objective" view of a story (further, there isn't any incoherence, maybe it lacks of realism for you, but the story is coherent). The route is primarly about Kotarou and Lucia's relationship, I repeat myself but it's just so obvious...

And I don't have the time at the moment so I drop this, it's a good review to show what I want to say : http://kakeracomplex.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/rewrite-lucia-route-reflection/ I don't intend to impose my opinion, merely the point of view necessary to really appreciate the story, it was written for this purpose.

The only think I can't understand in Rewrite is the fact 

he can kill Kagari in Akane's route without being hurt and it's in contradiction with what we learn in Kotori's route :s

I think all character follow the same behavior even when we're not in their route which explain, for me, why Chihaya withdraw in Shizuru's route

And I think all routes are well-written (Kotori, Chihaya, Shizuru, Akane and moon makes me shed a tear in the end even if I not cry easily )

How can you say "objective angle" when talking about a story ? Or writing ? Especially when talking about this route.  Damn I wanted to answer but that's actually just incredibly dumb. You  complained about the Adam/Eve thing ( it said they're searching an Adam, hey). But never mind, be focused on the scientist story is like skipping the route, it's typical from Ryukishi's writing, the only people who think it's bad written are inflexible people, I don't want to extrapolate but it's a fact, that's the same thing for Umineko and Higurashi's haters who played the game just to find the culprit, it's more than that, don't be stuck on a mechanical view of a story, with this mentality a lot of books and VN have been wasted.

I don't want to waste my time arguing about an "objective" view of a story (further, there isn't any incoherence, maybe it lacks of realism for you, but the story is coherent). The route is primarly about Kotarou and Lucia's relationship, I repeat myself but it's just so obvious...

And I don't have the time at the moment so I drop this, it's a good review to show what I want to say : http://kakeracomplex.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/rewrite-lucia-route-reflection/ I don't intend to impose my opinion, merely the point of view necessary to really appreciate the story, it was written for this purpose.

Are you honestly suggesting that it is impossible to examine a work of fiction without limiting your own personal bias? Then please do tell me why people now have jobs as film critics. It isn't impossible to examine a story while being both understanding and critical of it. See this is why I suggested that you were only looking at this from a viewpoint of wearing rose-colored glasses.

All rewrite is "impossible", so trying to find realism in Lucia's route is a waste of time .-.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

There exists an understood sense of reality that you allow yourself to believe in within all works of fiction, it is what allows you to actually enjoy the story.

It is the job of the author to make his story believable and coherent if he has failed to do this then he has done something wrong.

Lets me use a hypothetical yet relevant situation as an example.

Lets say that instead of what happened during Lucia's route Kotarou woke up one morning and Lucia was gone and was suddenly replaced by Chihaya. Not only that, everyone in the story now even Kotarou now refers to Chihaya as "Lucia" even though she doesn't act like Lucia at all, but still has Chihaya's personality and characteristics. You as the reader know this, but the characters end up acting like this is a natural development, and so the route come to an end with Chihaya taking Lucia's place with no rhyme or reason at all. The author just doesn't even bother to explain or make it clear why this happens throughout the entirety of the route.

Would you consider this Impossible? Could it possibly ruin your immersion? Would you consider it bad writing? Maybe some people actually liked this scenario are they wrong for it?

Point is that Ryukishi didn't cover all of his bases and didn't make his story believable enough to me by providing substantial evidence as to why this is possible within the world he created, and this is what caused my suspension of disbelief to reach it's breaking point and ruin all of my immersion and enjoyment with the route, and is why it is my opinion is that her route consisted of bad writing.

You  complained about the Adam/Eve thing ( it said they're searching an Adam, hey).

I don't recall them ever saying anything of the sort, but if I am mistaken then could someone please by all means tell me where this happens. If this is true then I would be willing to give her route another go and I might reform my opinion of it. She had a good route until the story no longer began to make any sense to me.

The only think I can't understand in Rewrite is the fact 

he can kill Kagari in Akane's route without being hurt and it's in contradiction with what we learn in Kotori's route :s

I think it is because he only really kills the key at the end of the route while it's a tree. By that time he has rewritten himself so much compared to kotori's route that he stops being dependent on kotori's contract.

I think it is because he only really kills the key at the end of the route while it's a tree. By that time he has rewritten himself so much compared to kotori's route that he stops being dependent on kotori's contract.

It's can makes sens thanks :)

I don't recall them ever saying anything of the sort, but if I am mistaken then could someone please by all means tell me where this happens. If this is true then I would be willing to give her route another go and I might reform my opinion of it. She had a good route until the story no longer began to make any sense to me.

If I recall correctly they search an Adam in the beginning after Lucia became an "Eve". Then the projet frozen and Lucia is free. but in fact the projet was still onging in secret but the purpose have change : they just want to rule over the world no more no less ^_^

Are you honestly suggesting that it is impossible to examine a work of fiction without limiting your own personal bias? Then please do tell me why people now have jobs as film critics. It isn't impossible to examine a story while being both understanding and critical of it. See this is why I suggested that you were only looking at this from a viewpoint of wearing rose-colored glasses.

Critics aren't objective, they're critics because they can (theoritically speaking huh) provide a good analysis of a movie, a book... normally they don't want to impose their point of view, just peel a story and its meaning. Lucia route is a good example, I said (and given an example of a little review) why you can't judge Lucia's route about something trivial (yes it is) like the scientists, they're just a pretext for Lucia's development. And I really don't think I'm someone who can be called a "rose colored glasses" wearer, sadly I'm really harsh about things like that and I'm trying to give a different gaze to stories, recently,but nobody care heh, I just like to justify myself. I insist, you can't pretend judge  this route from an objective viewpoint (me neither maybe) , you don't like it as much as other ppl do, it's understandable and not really new, that's all.

For your last paragraph, even if I don't really care about them (not a flaw  nor a quality imo), I'm pratically sure it's mentioned, but I don't remember if it's in the first or latter half, I'll give it a glance and send you a screen if I'm not wrong.