Steam: Agarest War Zero

Clephas

http://store.steampowered.com/app/260130/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Something to look forward to for jrpg gamers who still prefer to play on the PC.  I enjoyed this series, personally, though it gets dissed a lot by various people.  I'm a reformed jrpg-addict (ok, I just shifted my addiction to VNs, which fulfill my love for good story better than jrpgs do), but I still like retro-style games, lol

Agarest War series is actually pretty fun, i enjoyed the story and the generation system, even the battle system was alright and can get pretty hard later on. Even though i disliked the battle system in Agarest 2, the game was still pretty good. Overall the series isn't great, but it's still a fun and a nice jrpg. I'd recommend it to everyone who is interested in the series.

My PS3 died at the end of the 4th generation in the first game, and I have been getting more and more eager to restart.  I really enjoyed it, but in general, tactics combat just isn't for me.  I always find it ridiculously hard.  But I did get one of the weapon packs in an attempt to make things as easy as possible.  I enjoy the whole concept and want to see it through to the end.

Yeah, the reviews I've seen for this have all been horrible, but I'm willing to give it a chance when it goes on sale. Probably this summer. You don't every day see a PS3 JRPG make it to PC.

I posted a torrent for a prequel Agarest Generations of War here that made to a PC on English last year.

I finish it and it was prety intresting, true it so hard to get a true ending.

When this ones come out I will shere a torrent for it too.

PS:  Actually I just remembered Agarest Generations of War is actually a sequel to a Agarest Generations of War Zero true Zero has been released later.

I played Zero for a few hours and never felt so burned by buying a game (aside from Borderlands 2 which I did not like either.) Aside from the Generations system, the game has no redeeming quality to me. The battle system is terribly boring and I just found myself completely uninterested in any of the characters. I bought the second one in hopes that its better (it did get much better reviews) so maybe I'll give it a shot eventually. I wish better JRPGs would be pored over to PC though instead of the Agarest crap :P

I played Zero for a few hours and never felt so burned by buying a game (aside from Borderlands 2 which I did not like either.) Aside from the Generations system, the game has no redeeming quality to me. The battle system is terribly boring and I just found myself completely uninterested in any of the characters. I bought the second one in hopes that its better (it did get much better reviews) so maybe I'll give it a shot eventually. I wish better JRPGs would be pored over to PC though instead of the Agarest crap :P

If I am not misunderstanding something here you played zero in Japanese while not understanding Japanese right? Well no wonder you didn't like it, this JRPG is borderline VN and it probably would be boring to play it if you don't understand a story.

At least Trails in the Sky FC and SC are coming to Steam, if that even counts. =P

If I am not misunderstanding something here you played zero in Japanese while not understanding Japanese right? Well no wonder you didn't like it, this JRPG is borderline VN and it probably would be boring to play it if you don't understand a story.

No. I bought the localized PS3 version. 

At least Trails in the Sky FC and SC are coming to Steam, if that even counts. =P

I'm really really looking forward to those games a ton. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have they improved the combat system any?

I only played the first game but I remember that I had to play it in once a week doses because there was far too much trivial grindy combat using a very time consuming and repetitive combat system.

The combat was the only reason why I never did a second playthrough, it was far too tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this (and the original) the day it came out on PC. Working through the first one still though (finals week setting me back by quite a bit). Not gonna lie, I like it. Not as much story depth or character development as I or your standard VN fan might want, but I think the whole Generational system is awesome. If they did crafting better in this game (aka: Atelier series) I can see a lot of RPG fans loving this.

Agarest is the kind of series that appeals to people with a really niche sort of taste.  I liked the battle system, but I thought they should have spent more time with the heroines for each generation.  Most people who complain about it hate the battle system... I was already accustomed to a much more annoying one - the Spectral series - by IF, which uses the same tech-link-combo system in a different format, but for people who aren't used to that, it seems clunky.  I can finish each battle in about thirty seconds, but I've heard about others taking ten minutes for each battle and taking KO's... for me that was unthinkable.  I only lost a character in the very first battle against the Black Knight... and you are supposed to lose that one. 

Also, having to raise a new protag with each generation gets to some people, because they lose the characters they spent so much effort raising (though you can bring them back through one of the game's system as clones).  Also, for people whose eyes aren't used to VN-style storytelling, it frequently seems like they put less effort into the storytelling.  Most jrpgs use sprite body-language and actions to tell the story, along with the dialog and voices.  However, with VN-style storytelling you are limited to the tachie and voices in most cases...