Genre?

Tomoya_senpai

I dislike slice of life as well. I generally dislike most romance/drama animes, but that's not because of a dislike for the genres, it's more like they tend to be very poorly executed.

As for likes, I like tragedies the most. In VNs, I just love utsuges. Though some chuuni badassery isn't half bad as well.  <3

But even if they're cute, I can't fathom an entire episode of girls doing nothing (in most cases), or talking about random things (I did an extremely extreme effort to watch Lucky Star completely, and I'll never do it again D;). I can't enjoy it just because of the moe :c

Eh I like SoL but even I can agree Lucky Star doesn't really deserve to be held in such high regard, at least not in my opinion, it was the most uneventful show I've watched and I like SoL. But there's many great SoL like Working!!, Kiniro Mosaic, K-on, Mitsudomoe, Hidamari Sketch, etc that definitely deserve their praise. Moe isn't everything indeed but there's many SoL that go past that.

But i'm such a sucker for SoL i'd probably be happy with a 24 min episode of Azunyan rolling on the floor, thinking it's the best anime i've ever watched.

Eh I like SoL but even I can agree Lucky Star doesn't really deserve to be held in such high regard, at least not in my opinion, it was the most uneventful show I've watched and I like SoL. But there's many great SoL like Working!!, Kiniro Mosaic, K-on, Mitsudomoe, Hidamari Sketch, etc that definitely deserve their praise. Moe isn't everything indeed but there's many SoL that go past that.

Well, K-on is one of the series I won't ever watch ;A; the few Slice of Life I liked had too much comedy for me (Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh), or a bit of romance (like Working! and Servant x Service), but when it comes to a group of girls doing whatever they're doing, I just can't get into it. Gj-Bu is another slice of life I liked, thanks to the male protagonist, because if it were an all girls cast I probably wouldn't have watched it D; It's not that I dislike the cuteness and all that, it just doesn't get to me for some reason.

Let's take K-on as an example, add a male protagonist (with protagonism, not just a side kick or a faceless dude in the background) and I would probably watch it D: why? I don't even know myself, I'm weird like that (even the smallest thing can be a specific reason for me to not watch, or to watch, something D:)

Well, K-on is one of the series I won't ever watch ;A; the few Slice of Life I liked had too much comedy for me (Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh), or a bit of romance (like Working! and Servant x Service), but when it comes to a group of girls doing whatever they're doing, I just can't get into it. Gj-Bu is another slice of life I liked, thanks to the male protagonist, because if it were an all girls cast I probably wouldn't have watched it D; It's not that I dislike the cuteness and all that, it just doesn't get to me for some reason.

Let's take K-on as an example, add a male protagonist (with protagonism, not just a side kick or a faceless dude in the background) and I would probably watch it D: why? I don't even know myself, I'm weird like that (even the smallest thing can be a specific reason for me to not watch, or to watch, something D:)

We're totally different in that aspect.

I wouldn't stand if a male protagonist were introduced in K-on. I really just enjoy seeing the girls doing cute things.

But good SoL shows for me are ones that develop the friendships between the girls. The comedy aspect also plays a big role in my evaluation- I love comedy and if the show is all bland and the jokes have no effect then i probably won't like it (Lucky Star in a nutshell). I also dislike really uneventful things. I know this sounds like a contradiction but even K-on had stuff happening around it, the girls had fun doing a variety of things and the comedy wasn't in poor taste either, but more importantly by the end of the show you could feel their bonds were much stronger, that they actually did something and that parting with them was a painful thing to do. When characters are developed this much that you don't even want to let go of them then the show is done properly. Even Minami-ke that's literally built mostly around the school and the minami household at least has some random events happening that keep you entertained (this is when comedy should be done properly) and you eventually begin to like the Minami family. When a SoL doesn't have a variety of things happening it should at least have decent comedy, this is where Lucky Star fails for me, it had none. If an SoL is not comedic then it better have stuff happening, these shows should include some form of storyline or something that keeps you wanting to watch.

But I think the most important element is really character interaction and character personality. When you remember characters from a SoL show and you start liking them. That's when a SoL has done a proper job.

A SoL that manages to balance both in order to keep you entertained are the ones I enjoy the most out of all and believe it or not I don't hold that many SoL shows in such high regard despite having watched over 150 of them.

And this is how I personally judge SoL shows. It probably won't have any effect whatsoever on anyone though but I feel like it's on topic since it's my favorite genre.

</rant>

We're totally different in that aspect.

I wouldn't stand if a male protagonist were introduced in K-on. I really just enjoy seeing the girls doing cute things.

But good SoL shows for me are ones that develop the friendships between the girls. The comedy aspect also plays a big role in my evaluation- I love comedy and if the show is all bland and the jokes have no effect then i probably won't like it (Lucky Star in a nutshell). I also dislike really uneventful things. I know this sounds like a contradiction but even K-on had stuff happening around it, the girls had fun doing a variety of things and the comedy wasn't in poor taste either, even Minami-ke that's literally built mostly around the school and the minami household at least has some random events happening that keep you entertained (this is when comedy should be done properly). When a SoL doesn't have a variety of things happening it should at least have decent comedy, this is where Lucky Star fails for me, it had none. If an SoL is not comedic then it better have stuff happening, these shows should include some form of storyline or something that keeps you wanting to watch.

But I think the most important element is really character interaction and character personality. When you remember characters from a SoL show and you start liking them. That's when a SoL has done a proper job.

A SoL that manages to balance both in order to keep you entertained are the ones I enjoy the most out of all and believe it or not I don't hold that many SoL shows in such high regard despite having watched over 150 of them.

And this is how I personally judge SoL shows. It probably won't have any effect whatsoever on anyone though but I feel like it's on topic since it's my favorite genre.

</rant>

Well, I'm actually enjoying this, you talking about your view on the genre, so it's not like you're wasting your time xD it's not everyday that people explain in depth what they like about genres like this (most of the people I know go with the usual "I like it because of the cute things, what's there to explain", and that doesn't really feel like enough for me (?))

I get that these shows tend to focus around the girls and the relationships between them... But yeah, it really doesn't appeal for me (hence, my dislike for some yuri shows, even if I like the yuri in itself). But hey, it's not like all SoL with a male protagonist are to my liking either. When Kyoukai no Kanata had those few (kiiiiiiinda) SoL episodes (with all the idol stuff... agh), I was about to drop it, even if I was enjoying the main storyline (but let's not talk about that Deus Ex at the end). Another show that went SoL and I started disliking it was Chu2Koi with it's second season, the only thing that kept me from dropping it was the new girl (and I'm so troubled about not remembering her name EVER ;_;), but it, the show, still ended up being... Well, let's skip the bad words!

Well, it's just the old "tastes are tastes" like always, but it's good to go in depth about these things from time to time xD

Well, I'm actually enjoying this, you talking about your view on the genre, so it's not like you're wasting your time xD it's not everyday that people explain in depth what they like about genres like this (most of the people I know go with the usual "I like it because of the cute things, what's there to explain", and that doesn't really feel like enough for me (?))

I get that these shows tend to focus around the girls and the relationships between them... But yeah, it really doesn't appeal for me (hence, my dislike for some yuri shows, even if I like the yuri in itself). But hey, it's not like all SoL with a male protagonist are to my liking either. When Kyoukai no Kanata had those few (kiiiiiiinda) SoL episodes (with all the idol stuff... agh), I was about to drop it, even if I was enjoying the main storyline (but let's not talk about that Deus Ex at the end). Another show that went SoL and I started disliking it was Chu2Koi with it's second season, the only thing that kept me from dropping it was the new girl (and I'm so troubled about not remembering her name EVER ;_ ;), but it, the show, still ended up being... Well, let's skip the bad words!

Well, it's just the old "tastes are tastes" like always, but it's good to go in depth about these things from time to time xD

But I liked the insert song in episode 6 of Kyoukai no Kanata though :ph34r:  *waits for all the shunning* 

Although I agree the episode itself was retarded as hell for what the show was supposed to be.

How dare thou forget the great Shichimiya Satone!? Yeah there's that type of SoL shows too. Not that i mind, if it wasn't for the rest of the plot being  $&%#.

*cough* indeed tastes are tastes. 

But i do agree that it's important to know why you like a genre so much though. I think people who can't explain why they like a genre properly aren't really getting the essence of it which is kind of a shame.

But I liked the insert song in episode 6 of Kyoukai no Kanata though :ph34r:  *waits for all the shunning* 

Although I agree the episode itself was retarded as hell for what the show was supposed to be.

How dare thou forget the great Shichimiya Satone!? Yeah there's that type of SoL shows too. Not that i mind, if it wasn't for the rest of the plot being  $&%#.

*cough* indeed tastes are tastes. 

But i do agree that it's important to know why you like a genre so much though. I think people who can't explain why they like a genre properly aren't really getting the essence of it which is kind of a shame.

*Throws a tantrum and shunning*

It was a turn off, so to say, when I saw the whole idol thingie xDDD

Satone D;! I'll write it somewhere, I don't know why I keep forgetting her name >_<

I at least try to explain why I like or dislike something, but my tastes are so weirdly complex that sometimes the slightest detail can make me hate or love something, so it's kinda hard to explain about these things sometimes xD

I normally dont really care what genre i play. What i do care about though is having a deep emotional story. I want a VN to make me bawl my eyes out in tears. The more i cry the better i love a VN. I prefer a happy ending though. It can be the most depressing and tragic story but if it has a good ending then it was all worth it. I think the best example would be Lily's route in KS. That ending. Heart wrenching to me.

Guest hairybumslapper

horror, seinen, shoujo-ai, shounen, action, romance.

-

Any dark themed anime like madoka magica and hellsing are also things i lookout for.