Nintendo taking down Wi-fi for older systems

Nosebleed

You might or might not have heard of it but as of March 20th 2014 the nintendo wi-fi services will be unavailable for all previous Nintendo systems. This includes the DS, DSi and the Wii consoles.

This means that you will no longer be able to play multiplayer games on any of these systems and are required to upgrade to a 3DS or Wii U if you wish to do so.

No more Mario Kart multiplayer, Super Smash Bros multiplayer, basically any game that had these features or even relied on these features will be almost virtually useless in these systems in the future.

Although this is not an unusual move for a company to make, you do have to remember there are a lot more people with older DS and Wii systems than the new ones so I do not feel this is a wise choice at all this early in the game. I do understand they are losing money and kind of entering a hole since their systems are not reaching the projected sales, but they are the ones to blame for that. Taking something like this from their fans this early feels like a really bad strategy in my opinion.

How do you feel about it? Was it a wise choice or not?

It makes sense from a business standpoint if you want to push the latest console and sell it. However, it also has the drawback of showing how little support you have for your legacy hardware and will make users more wary of buying your latest devices knowing you intend to drop support for them fairly quickly.

I disagree with that reason. There are a lot more people with older DS systems. The Wii U sales didn't reach their projected sales and the 3DS sales barely cut even so they lost profit. So yes the older systems have a wider fanbase statistically right now

My thoughts are they just can't afford to keep it running anymore. They just went all out with the new pokemon bank which is probably one of the reasons they're cutting off the wi-fi for older systems so they have more bandwidth and since it's a paid service it's their way of keeping it running without losing profit. Indeed this is a good choice financially but in no way i find it a nice way to advertise themselves and I think it will do more damage than good.

But then again their target is always younger audiences so it's not like they'll care much, the kids will just beg their parents for a new console.

This just goes to show the Wii U is not being properly advertised and not being recieved as well as they expected. Sure there are a couple new titles that are interesting like you said but a couple is not enough to make it worth it to buy a new system entirely.

Of course in the end there are no more games being made for older DS systems but there are definitely still people using the older systems, at least the DSi and the Wii so I find this kind of shoving the new system down your throat.

Well I'm kind of used to it by now it's just sad to see Nintendo do it.

Doesn't really bother me since I don't like playing games online. I've always valued local multiplayer WAY more than online. And of course Nintendo are ending that service because they're losing money, but they're probably trying to coax those people into upgrading their consoles too.

Sure there are a couple new titles that are interesting like you said but a couple is not enough to make it worth it to buy a new system entirely.

Dude, there are plenty of great games for Wii U

Well I guess it's a good choice by nintendo. But I don't perticularly like it lol.  I've always been more of a singleplayer or local player on consoles so no more Wi-fi doesn't really damage me as well. It's a friggin wierd move to do though imo. Seriously nintendo is being somewhat... Wierd nowdays.

On the otherhand those who have modded their Wii's so they can play "backup" games, will lose a few of their functions.

Does the Wi-fi mean no more Nintendo services only? Because you can connect to the internet on the WII and download patches and game covers etc. Those servers are not connected to Nintendo servers. Which means they should still work.

I am guessing someone out there will even is a way around wi-fi ban. As already modded Wii users can play on the net as normal users. It shouldn't be way of to guess that they should be able to make their own net. All wii online play I am guessing are client based anyway. Acutally when I think about it, most likely this won't happen on most games. Some games it might happen if they find a workaround.

I am not a fan of the Wii U, more of a gimmic imo.

I agree wht Wii U isn't that much of an improvement. Maybe that's why it didn't sell well.

I was actually surprised when i held one in real life and came to my senses on how massive that controller really is.

The good thing about it is backwards compatibility with Wii games so I give them credit for that but the Wii U doesn't really stand out on its own.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo drops the Wii U entirely or if some other company buys it really, it's just a much much weaker console compared to Xbone, PS4 or even PC. Them dropping the wi-fi on the older systems is just another sign that nintendo's bound to go all the way down in the shitters soon

That's exactly the reason I will never own a console, single company having control over games you can and cannot play is bad.

And it is also the reason why I dislike steam as a monopoly, if they suddenly decide to close and delete all your games, they can totally do it and you have no defense against it.

PC and drm-free master race :P And multilayer games that have dedicated software available to everyone to host their own servers, not relying on anyone else.

Call me old fashioned, but I can still to this day host a server for games like ut99 or quake, even after 15 years or however long it has been. You can no longer say that about some games released few years ago, which closed their master multiplayer server.

Sorry for a little OT, but that is my stance, I don't want to give companies control over stuff like this.

Well in my case for example i have a nintendo console that i share with my sister and this is kind of a bummer. Of course I have a 3DS for myself so this won't affect me in particular but it renders the other one useless if I want to buy software for it on the eshop for example.

I was actually thinking of buying a Wii for her (and me) because I could also do multiplayer there but now i'm either forced to buy a Wii U or nothing at all which is kind of a shame.

I don't have any other consoles, the reason i have these is mostly because of my sister since it's more fun for her. I also stand for PC gaming and DRM free gaming but that's another story. It's just kind of inconvinient because now i have to spend an extra 150$ if i want to give her a Wii U. It just makes Nintendo look bad and I always looked up to them as the first console I ever had in my life was a gameboy.

Thank god I left my Mario Kart craze behind long ago.

And yeah, PC all the way. But I have to admit consoles are a neccesary evil in the videogames industry because they provide a safe harbour to developers from all us pirates. If I want to play shmups I have to buy a console because the big titles are only on the XBOX 360.

Now, leaving offtopic behind I say, this is a terrible move by Nintendo. They have the need to do it but it hurts their reputation so badly that I can't even think of buying a Nintendo Console anymore unless I absolutely have to do it.

I personally don't mind so much. I know Pokemon BW, BW2, and even DPP still have an online community behind them, so I suppose that's a bit of a bummer. I can imagine a few other games have something of an online presence behind them too. The 3DS has been out awhile so I suppose it's fair, but they continued to make games for the DS as well during that time. I remember when the Halo 2 servers were taken down. There was a great showing of the community from that.

As for it being wise and sound business decision, I don't know. I know Nintendo has posted an annual operating loss for the past 2 years and is expecting one this year as well, so I suppose I can't fault them.