Help Save Zero Escape 3

WinkBlinkel

I hope it's alright for me to post this here, but I figured there must be some 999/VLR fans among Fuwa who would be interested in this news.

According to Kotaro Uchikoshi's English twitter (https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng) there's a lot of doubt as to whether Zero Escape 3 will even get funding. The series doesn't sell a whole lot in Japan, and as a result convincing "the managers" to provide a budget is proving fruitless. At this time, it doesn't look like this game is going to happen. While it isn't an official announcement of a hiatus or anything, this certainly isn't good news.

There's a fan campaign called Operation Bluebird going on right now to show support for Uchikoshi. Consider dropping a like on their facebook page if you'd like this series to reach it's conclusion.

https://www.facebook.com/operationbluebirdze3

Does anyone know why this series doesn't do well in Japan? It seems to have some of the same themes as Steins;Gate and Danganronpa. I can't really wrap my head around it.

Won't work, but knock yourselves out. Third game is being stalled because of lack of sales in the first two games. Dropping 'likes' won't do jack, if you want the third game created, the old school rules of voting with your wallet applies.

Oh believe me, I have next to no faith in fan campaigns. Do they ever actually do anything? Pretty much never. But watching a fanbase come together to try to start something is always interesting in its own right. The strange thing here is that the games seem to sell well in the West, which is some bizarre stuff. The fact that Uchikoshi made a separate account to accommodate his English speaking fans says a lot. There's a ton of people who are more than willing to vote with their wallets; They're just not from Japan. I think, if given an opportunity to vote with their wallets, the fans in the West would. We already have. At this point, dropping Japan entirely could be a better financial move for them. I agree with you 100%; dropping 'likes' alone won't do jack. Yet seeing the number steadily rise shows, at the very least, that there is interest in seeing this happen. I'd say if you have interest in this franchise, follow this story. If nothing else, it will be interesting.

If you own a DS, then I would highly recommend checking them out. They're half "Escape the Room" puzzle game, half Visual Novel. If you like mystery/suspense, then 999/VLR are both fantastic, and will have enough twists and turns to keep you hooked through every single ending.

• 3 months later...

Dropping in here to that I loved both 999 and VLR. I think I liked VLR better, but preferred the darker tones in 999. I'm aware that some of his choices on the matter were stifled to be able to appeal to a broader audience which is a shame, but it did little to dissuade me from enjoying it.

I'm curious about how well the other 2 games did in the West. I know that 9 Doors did well initially, but sales would have trailed off once piracy kicked in. Maybe it was the second game which disappointed sales wise?

yes, if 999 didn't succeed we wouldn't have gotten VLR. it wasn't a "series" from the start.

Okay, so just dropping in, Hi. I'm quite new in the FuwaForums community.

I have some experience with both Zero Escape games. Just to drop this in quickly, I absolutely LOVED 999. And so I waited in anticipation for VLR. And I waited. And I waited some more.

Frankly, I was disappointed.

I loathed the game. I think that's why it failed, because a lot of people didn't like it. They wanted something worthy of the "Zero Escape" name. Honestly, it was good. As a stand-alone game. If you forgot 999 existed. But you just can't forget one of the greatest VNs of all time.

WARNING: RANT REVIEW AHEAD

------------------------------------------------

The 3D animations would have been a nice touch, if they had been done right. I felt they were far to excessive, and took up too much of the game. Compared to 999's 2D animations, which had everything just right and kept things going smoothly, I found them annoying and loathed the cutscenes.

A lot of the game's key points were predictable:

Please tell me not even one of you was ever fooled by K. Honestly, it's so obvious. Dio was always unfriendly and attracted attention to himself, so you can put him in as an enemy that HE EVENTUALLY TURNS OUT TO BE. Tennouji and Quark were harder to place, but, honestly, the hint bombs were so annoying because I couldn't just get my character to say "Hi, Junpei" or "How ya been, Junpei" or "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOU JUNPEI". Instead of running on the same premise, it would have worked better to start an entirely new adventure.

In my opinion, this story was already resolved (Save for a few loose ends) in 999's true ending. They could also maybe connect it slightly. Like the Nitro+ Science Adventure Game Series. 

The soundtrack was interesting, but nothing that really stood out in my opinion. Compare that to 999's true ending. The story, the sacrifices, the truth, it all came rushing in all at once. And then there was the music. THE MUSIC. It can't go wrong. Let me tell you, believe it or not, I have not cried once in 5 years. Not since the murder of one of my favorite cousins. I cried at that ending. I was crying the whole time while solving the puzzle. The whole time. It sent chills up my spine. I assure you, if it was just music, or just story, or just puzzle, I would have a stony-faced expression then. Sad on the inside, not on the outside. The combination was perfect.

In 999, while I played as Junpei, I felt a connection. No, not that kind of connection. I mean, whenever Junpei did something, I felt I might have done the same in his shoes. I felt that I wasn't playing him, I felt like I WAS him. Remember how I was saying I cried at the true ending? This was why. I was so perfectly in sync with Junpei. I felt pain I shouldn't have been able to feel. It was sad, and amazing. Which is another reason why VLR disappointed me. SIGMAAAAAA WHY COULDN'T YOU BE MORE LIKE YOUNG JUNPEI?! Of course, Sigma can be funny and smart and serious at times, but I felt a disconnection. I wouldn't do what he did. Never.

They explained everything at the end, but it felt so... I dunno, pointless? 

The planet is destroyed, we're stranded on the moon and everyone is super-depressed. On top of that, you're the mad scientist who made all this happen with your companion June who turns out to be the worst girlfriend on the planet.

I used to like her. Back in 999, she was the absolute best. Even to the true ending. I cried for her not only because I felt I was Junpei. I could connect with her too. It was weird, but it was nice. THAT ABSOLUTE [bLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP].

I was disappointed in all the other characters. Even Clover and Alice were lackluster. Phi was my last hope. And then came the true ending. The absolute worst of them all. Phi. WHY, PHI, WHY?! I almost cried. Then I realized she pulled a June on me. And my heart permanently hardened.

VLR RUINED THE SERIES. EVEN IF THERE IS A ZERO ESCAPE 3, I DON'T HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR IT ANYMORE. SOMEONE PLZ KILL ME NAO.

I think that's why it failed, because a lot of people didn't like it.

not really, both games are liked about the same, they even got the same user score on metacritic.

things don't always work ideally. sometimes you provide a great product and it still fails commercially. for me, VLR was clearly better than 999 in every way possible ( except the ending ), but... it doesn't matter which one is better, both offered very high quality for sure.

Virtue's Last Reward is my favorite game of all time. I loved the character development, the twists, the story as a whole, the atmosphere(nowhere on par with 999 though.) and pretty much everything(except graphics).

The characters were indeed less likable. However, 999 was not based on a game of betrayal which makes trusting people easier. Uchikoshi said that Japanese fans were disturbed by the amount of gore and horror in 999 so he weakened it in VLR. As for Sigma, I did not feel any disconnection nor a huge connection. One of the endings twists were so awesome that I actually laughed like a maniac as I placed the pieces together and everything started to make sense. 

Precisely, it was Junpei's true identity.

Operation Bluebird is preparing a fanbook right now actually, so it is not all about "likes". If there were an option to vote with my wallet, I would. As for why it failed, I heard it was because Danganronpa was so overwhelmingly popular that many people did not even notice or care about ZE. (Heck, you can even understand DR is far more popular by comparing the amount of hentai it has on the internet.)

Zero Escape 3 is the game I want to be made the most- Portal 3, Half Life 3 can wait.- and I hope to see the day that we see the announcement that ZE3 will be made.

What exactly is the purpose of this fanbook?

If there were an option to vote with my wallet, I would. 

Good, because there is. Zero Escape 3 is on hiatus because of disappointing sales, and yet I see the campaign has received 10,000 'likes' on Facebook. How about convincing these 10,000 fans of the series who want a 3rd game made, to go out and buy an additional copy of the second. I'm sure this has a much higher chance of getting the producer's attention then a few signatures, some likes and some drawings. Money makes the world go round, after all.

Specifically though wasnt Uchikoshi referring to Japan when he said it didnt sell well? So how will fans overseas buying the game convince Spike-Chunsoft its worth it? (I realise thats rather self defeating, I posted a lot on the Facebook page too and want to contribute).

ZE3 is a game I'd really love to see get made, or at least finish the story.

He referred specifically to Japan because that's the game's primary market. Even though the titles sold well in the west for a VN type game, it still wouldn't have moved as many copies as it would have in Japan, where it sold poorly. Even Ace Attorney struggles to sell decently in the West, which was part of the reason we never saw AAI2.

At the end of the day the company in question doesn't care where the money comes from. If the game moves enough units then a sequel will be made. It didn't do well in Japan, and these sorts of games never do really well in the West, so there's no sequel. Move another 10,000 units in the West might just get somebody's attention. Sending somebody pretty drawings won't do anything.

How about convincing these 10,000 fans of the series who want a 3rd game made, to go out and buy an additional copy of the second. 

Just for the record: I am planning to buy a Vita, and when I do buy, I'll definitely replay VLR.

Also I have seen many people do that, even people that actually had more than 5 copies of the game(those were huge exceptions of course). ZE fans indeed are hardcore.

Edit: I actually quite like the idea, but the issue seems to be Japan. Are you sure this would make SC(short for Spike Chunsoft- a Japanese company) overlook the poor Japanese sales?

not really, both games are liked about the same, they even got the same user score on metacritic.

things don't always work ideally. sometimes you provide a great product and it still fails commercially. for me, VLR was clearly better than 999 in every way possible ( except the ending ), but... it doesn't matter which one is better, both offered very high quality for sure.

Which one is better is up to the individual :). I prefer 999, personally, but I really enjoyed VLR as well. Very much hoping there will be that third title!

Virtue's Last Reward is my favorite game of all time. I loved the character development, the twists, the story as a whole, the atmosphere(nowhere on par with 999 though.) and pretty much everything(except graphics).

The characters were indeed less likable. However, 999 was not based on a game of betrayal which makes trusting people easier. Uchikoshi said that Japanese fans were disturbed by the amount of gore and horror in 999 so he weakened it in VLR. As for Sigma, I did not feel any disconnection nor a huge connection. One of the endings twists were so awesome that I actually laughed like a maniac as I placed the pieces together and everything started to make sense. 

Precisely, it was Junpei's true identity.

Operation Bluebird is preparing a fanbook right now actually, so it is not all about "likes". If there were an option to vote with my wallet, I would. As for why it failed, I heard it was because Danganronpa was so overwhelmingly popular that many people did not even notice or care about ZE. (Heck, you can even understand DR is far more popular by comparing the amount of hentai it has on the internet.)

Zero Escape 3 is the game I want to be made the most- Portal 3, Half Life 3 can wait.- and I hope to see the day that we see the announcement that ZE3 will be made.

Well, what I'm saying is, I think VLR would have made a good standalone game. If you played 999, you knew most of VLR's secrets. If you didn't play 999, you probably didn't pick up VLR. Therefore, It would have been better to base VLR off of a different topic,

rather that world lines.

What exactly is the purpose of this fanbook?

Good, because there is. Zero Escape 3 is on hiatus because of disappointing sales, and yet I see the campaign has received 10,000 'likes' on Facebook. How about convincing these 10,000 fans of the series who want a 3rd game made, to go out and buy an additional copy of the second. I'm sure this has a much higher chance of getting the producer's attention then a few signatures, some likes and some drawings. Money makes the world go round, after all.

Sorry, I will not be buying any more copies.

And, for the record, I've already bought two. My first copy was broken.

Sadly, I don't think there is much we can do except possibly try and convince people we know to buy the games, but then again, since it's the Japanese market that's the problem that probably won't do much either.  Hopefully, things will work out. 

There have been instances in the past when overseas sales caused game series to be reincarnated in the form of sequels. They even localize it, at that.

The thought of this series not finishing makes me sad.  I loved both these games, preferring VLR.  I'm also curious why it didn't sell so well in Japan.  Perhaps a kickstarter is in the foreseeable future?  There sure are enough potential backers.

Perhaps a kickstarter is in the foreseeable future?  There sure are enough potential backers.

You are not the first to think so my friend. However, Uchikoshi said somewhere, I think, that "the idea was not persuasive enough" or something along those lines. If we knew VLR's budget, we could've made an assumption. However, we don't. 

The thought of this series not finishing makes me sad.  I loved both these games, preferring VLR.  I'm also curious why it didn't sell so well in Japan.  Perhaps a kickstarter is in the foreseeable future?  There sure are enough potential backers.

"The series not finishing"?

What are you talking about?

The series was over when 999 ended.

VLR was an addition made due to pressure from fans.