Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
starcraft2

Plotge recommendations?

Recommended Posts

Trying to get back into a VN.

I enjoyed:

  • Baldr Sky
  • Aiyoku no Eustia
  • Sen no Hatou, Tsukisome no Kouki

Trying to understand why I liked them:

  • There is generally some clear world-moving motive the characters are pursuing in each
  • Doesn't revolve around high school life to drive the story (mostly)
  • The setting and plot maintains tension in the atmosphere which keeps me hooked. Plot with action in it helps.

I tried reading Dies Irae and finished the first 2 routes (Kasumi and Kei) a few months ago. It was okay, but didn't hook me enough for me to currently feel any urge to resume and finish Marie and Rea's routes.

Read some Subahibi today in Japanese. Feeling some cognitive dissonance over the character interactions and wondering if it's being pretentious or not when it starts referencing works I've never read. Either way, my reading speed in Japanese is too slow for Subahibi since I suspect I'll need to read a lot to get pass the boring high school life and get a payoff. I may try it in English in the future.

Any suggestions?

Currently considering either reading Akatsuki no Goei ~Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron~ (high school setting is putting me off, does it focus on the conflict with the slums quickly?) or Muramasa.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Tsukihime

-Shuushou Alicematic

-Evolimit

-The Rest of the Baldr games

-Silverio Trinity (and it's sequel)

-Sheshikan 

-If you like The infinity séries (Never 7, Ever 17, Remember 11, 12riven and Code_18) I also suggest the Zero Escape and Daganronpa series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, starcraft2 said:

Trying to get back into a VN.

I enjoyed:

  • Baldr Sky
  • Aiyoku no Eustia
  • Sen no Hatou, Tsukisome no Kouki

Trying to understand why I liked them:

  • There is generally some clear world-moving motive the characters are pursuing in each
  • Doesn't revolve around high school life to drive the story (mostly)
  • The setting and plot maintains tension in the atmosphere which keeps me hooked. Plot with action in it helps.

I tried reading Dies Irae and finished the first 2 routes (Kasumi and Kei) a few months ago. It was okay, but didn't hook me enough for me to currently feel any urge to resume and finish Marie and Rea's routes.

Read some Subahibi today in Japanese. Feeling some cognitive dissonance over the character interactions and wondering if it's being pretentious or not when it starts referencing works I've never read. Either way, my reading speed in Japanese is too slow for Subahibi since I suspect I'll need to read a lot to get pass the boring high school life and get a payoff. I may try it in English in the future.

Any suggestions?

Currently considering either reading Akatsuki no Goei ~Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron~ (high school setting is putting me off, does it focus on the conflict with the slums quickly?) or Muramasa.

 

Akagoei pretty much has to be read as a series to be comprehensible...

Subahibi is indeed meaninglessly  pretentious.

 

Vermilion Bind of Blood

Electro Arms

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Never 7, Ever 17, Remember 11

- 999, Virtue's Last Reward (both compiled as "The nonary games" on Steam), Zero Time Dilemma

- Steins;Gate, Steins;Gate 0

- Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child

- Root Double - before crime, after days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, like nothing I've read falls under that category.

Kami-sama no Game (constant tension, and a degree of realism)

Fault (fantasy adventure)

終末なにしてますか? 忙しいですか? 救ってもらっていいですか? (is a LN, but is fantasy with strong pacing and world development)

Edited by Chronopolis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to look through a few of these. Noticed quite a few Light and Nitroplus works.

20 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

The Rest of the Baldr games

I did also enjoy Baldr Heart, though obviously not to the degree of Baldr Sky. The pacing in both were quite well done. Any recommendation which one I should move onto next?

  • At first glance, Baldr Bringer seems thin on plot and focused on the gameplay
  • Baldr Zero? It's a different story and different writer so seeing Kou and Rain in it give me second thoughts due to the potential to ruin the characters built up in Baldr Sky.
  • Maybe Baldr Force?
16 hours ago, Clephas said:

Akagoei pretty much has to be read as a series to be comprehensible...

I actually did manage to read and complete all the routes in the first Akatsuki no Goei game by the way. That was back when I was more patient and rationalizing it as a way to improve my Japanese before reading the things I really wanted to read.

2 hours ago, Chronopolis said:

終末なにしてますか? 忙しいですか? 救ってもらっていいですか? (is a LN, but is fantasy with strong pacing and world development)

Light novels sound good too and I did enjoy that particular series's anime adaptation. Kindle makes reading them so much easier nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, starcraft2 said:

I did also enjoy Baldr Heart, though obviously not to the degree of Baldr Sky. The pacing in both were quite well done. Any recommendation which one I should move onto next?

  • At first glance, Baldr Bringer seems thin on plot and focused on the gameplay
  • Baldr Zero? It's a different story and different writer so seeing Kou and Rain in it give me second thoughts due to the potential to ruin the characters built up in Baldr Sky.
  • Maybe Baldr Force?

If you haven't played Sky Dive 2 already, Baldr Force is probably the next best thing since the setting is similar to Sky's, though since it is an older title don't expect the same production values. You might also enjoy Duel Savior from the same dev's, it seems to share some characters with Baldr Force but I cannot confirm that. The other Baldr titles like Bullet and Zero seem to have their fare share of good traits, but it is probably not as good as the Sky series or Force.

Also yeah, while Bringer is certainly a VN it is very gameplay oriented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, starcraft2 said:

 

I did also enjoy Baldr Heart, though obviously not to the degree of Baldr Sky. The pacing in both were quite well done. Any recommendation which one I should move onto next?

  • At first glance, Baldr Bringer seems thin on plot and focused on the gameplay
  • Baldr Zero? It's a different story and different writer so seeing Kou and Rain in it give me second thoughts due to the potential to ruin the characters built up in Baldr Sky.
  • Maybe Baldr Force?

I actually did manage to read and complete all the routes in the first Akatsuki no Goei game by the way. That was back when I was more patient and rationalizing it as a way to improve my Japanese before reading the things I really wanted to read.

 

Baldr Sky, Baldr Sky Zero, Baldr Heart, and Baldr Force EXE are good.  Baldr Bringer is 99.9% crappy gameplay and .1% story.  Baldr Sky Zero is good, play it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muvluv Alternative, but to really get all the references you have to get through Muvluv Extra (deliberately bland romcom)/Unlimited (mecha drama with no action) and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (romantic drama).  Worth it in the end though, at least in my opinion.

Pretty much anything by Type Moon (notably FS/N).

Pretty much anything by Nitroplus (Steins;Gate).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×