Spring 2017 Anime Discussion

ittaku

I'm looking forward to more dungeon, AoT and Saekano. Beyond that granblue was so generic and bland with its first two episodes I'd be hard pressed to bother watching any more. First episode of Alice to Zouroku was charming enough for me to look forward to more. Still watching Little witch academia which is ongoing and the rest are all gambles based on what I can read.

So far I've watched the first episode of pretty much everything that's aired and everything besides AoT has been meh :\

I've already seen Youjo Senki, Akiba's Trip, Ms.Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Demi-Chan, Ao no Exorcist S2 and more from last season and from the current one I've started Royal Tutor, AoT of course, Akashic Records and Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism so far.

Still have to watch Gabdro though I'll probably binge it soon and yeah looking forward to more Dungeon.

Edited by DarkZedge
Goofed it up

Well, I've already watched a few of the new season's anime, and Royal Tutor actually surprised me pleasantly. While I'm positive the princes will bore me to death, the MC sells the show, with his mix of no-nonsense and troll-ish attitude.

Rokudenashi is as bad yet entertaining as I had expected... and that's pretty much it. Downloaded a couple more anime, which I'll watch tonight and see what's what.

Edited by Jun Inoue

Of the stuff I've watched (and or dropped):

Alice to Zouroku - pleasant enough to watch, not exciting

Warau Salesman - shit

Frame Arms Girl - shit

Rokudenashi Majutsu - shit

Oushitsu Kyoushi - decent but too strong BL overtones for my liking

Busou Shoujo - shit

Sagrada Reset - fair but boring

Sakura Quest - pleasant and harmless

Tsuki ga Kirei - pleasant but slow

Saekano flat - very good

Clockwork Planet - shit

Renai Boukun - shit

Hinako Note - pleasant and harmless

Twin Angel Break - shit

Seikaisuru kado - decent

Shingeki 2 - very good

Granblue fantasy - fair

Littlewitch (cont) - very good

Nobunaga no shinobi (cont) - very good

Sekai no yami - terrible

Love Kome - terrible

Gin no guardian - fair

Still a few hopefuls but so far the only things worth watching are sequels or continuations. Meh.

EDIT: Finally some decent stuff!

Eromanga sensei - good

Re-creators - very(?) good

17 hours ago, ittaku said:

Of the stuff I've watched (and or dropped):

Alice to Zouroku - pleasant enough to watch, not exciting

Warau Salesman - shit

Frame Arms Girl - shit

Rokudenashi Majutsu - shit

Oushitsu Kyoushi - decent but too strong BL overtones for my liking

Busou Shoujo - shit

Sagrada Reset - fair but boring

Sakura Quest - pleasant and harmless

Tsuki ga Kirei - pleasant but slow

Saekano flat - very good

Clockwork Planet - shit

Renai Boukun - shit

Hinako Note - pleasant and harmless

Twin Angel Break - shit

Seikaisuru kado - decent

Shingeki 2 - very good

Granblue fantasy - fair

Littlewitch (cont) - very good

Nobunaga no shinobi (cont) - very good

Sekai no yami - terrible

Love Kome - terrible

Gin no guardian - fair

Still a few hopefuls but so far the only things worth watching are sequels or continuations. Meh.

EDIT: Finally some decent stuff!

Eromanga sensei - good

Re-creators - very(?) good

lel what a shit taste. The only 2 good shows are: Warau sales man. this one because the VA is just amazing. and the other good show being: Tsuki ga Kirei. The rest is utter trash. 

9 hours ago, Asonn said:

lel what a shit taste. The only 2 good shows are: Warau sales man. this one because the VA is just amazing. and the other good show being: Tsuki ga Kirei. The rest is utter trash. 

Heh, the good old 'your opinion is wrong' though we actually agree on one of the shows if you looked more carefully. Yes a good VA can make any show significantly better, but either way Warau simply didn't really align with my taste.

I still need to start Alice to Zouroku, but already have it downloaded as it did seem interesting.

For now, most shows have gone just according to keikaku. I'm pleasantly surprised at Seikaisuru Kado for not having terrible CGI and, despite barely showing or doing anything, still managing to pick up my interest with its first episode. There's also Zero, which is another interesting anime who still needs to show its aim and direction.

Oh Spring has come and the big ones started rolling in.

SnK S2. Well nothing much, it is good as expected. Amazing animation and OST, great pacing though the OP isn't as good as S1 OPs. Shame its only getting 12 episodes though...

Boku no Hero strike gold, again. I'm surprised they can keep their shonen-esque style and still produce great animation especially in the last part of episode 2. With 25 episodes from Bones this one will definitely be a great ride.

Busou Shoujo.... well it's shit, nothing much can be said other than that. Adaptation wise too, which is disappointing since the manga's art are quite good. Maybe Silver Link is focused on making that Illya movie...

Clockwork planet was a disappointment... maybe I expected too much since it's from Kamina Yuu... but this is definitely not NGNL. On top of that the studio is butchering the character design and animation. I'll keep watching to episode 3 and see if it gets slightly better or stays the same.

Eromanga-sensei, well having dearest harem MC VA Matsuoka doing an MC of a series from the author of OreImo means it'll be hilarious while possibly having another shit ending (again). Same formula, different characters. Nothing special other than the comedy but let's see where it goes. And from the animation looks like A-1 is on top of their game too for this LN adaptation.

The second cour of Little Watch Academia is starting and surprise surprise, it actually have a story. Let's see what Trigger comes up for the plot twists for this show though makes me wonder if they will keep the somewhat disney friendly atmosphere...

Re:Creators... oh boy, the director of Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai and Aldnoah doing an original anime with Sawano? For 22 episodes??? Color me interested but considering some hyped original anime usually became a trainwreck in the end I'll keep my expectations low. That being said, first episode has very solid animation and god amazing soundtrack (doesn't surprised me, It's Sawano after all) while having a somewhat decent story.

Alice to Zoroku... well this looks quite fresh albeit the evil labs and experiments part of it seems a bit stale... The character interactions are pretty great overall and other than the jarring CGI in the first episode, everything else looks sharp. Will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Rokudenashi first episode is shit, well a fresh kind of shit but that's not exactly a good thing. The second ep is a lot better and has a very good world building that surprises me. Really loves how they explain the magic but other than that the story seems rather bit too cliche. It's pretty enjoyable however...

Sakurada Reset is possibly the most boring anime I'm watching this season besides Busou and Clockwork. Shame since the potential is there... Well it's just the first episode and it's going to be a 2 cour show so let's see where it goes but I'll definitely keep my expectations low.

Zero Kara hajimeru, nothing new, nothing special. Cliche all around but it doesn't seem to be too bad and could turn out to be pretty decent. Soundtrack is good enough and animation too. Definitely enjoyable though.

Shuumatsu... thought it's going to be one of those weird LN adaptation with long names but.... seems very interesting. Great soundtrack and more than decent animation. Story seems good and has a lot of potential. Possibly AOTS? Maybe but it's too early to judge. What surprises me though they uses Scarborough Fair for some parts of their OST. I don't think many anime do that and it's done well too. IMO definitely a must watch

And last but not least, Sakura Quest, or what I would like to say, P.A. Works struck gold. Definitely the highest contender for AOTS of new anime in this season for me. Great character explanation, great OST, OP and ED as well as crisp animation. It can still go to a trainwreck but I'm still going to keep my hopes up.

Oh yeah forgot about Frame Arms Girls or what I would like to call it as "I have no idea why I'm watching this". This and Renai Boukun is contending for possibly the dumbest anime with a somewhat entertaining value of this season. I wonder which one will come on top...

This season is pretty shit tbh, especially compared to last season. Sakura Quest is currently the only show of the ones I've watched that I have high hopes for. The only other one I see being really good is Tsuki ga Kirei, but even then, I have my doubts that it will be. This applies to Alice to Zouroku as well. Eromanga-sensei and Rokudenashi look like they'll be fun at least, but we haven't seen enough of the cast in Eromanga, and Rokudenashi is being carried by it's protagonist. Renai Boukun is currently sitting as the worst of the worst of the season. So unfunny, and so lacking any level of creative drive that I can't bear to watch it. But I guess I can survive this show. I mean, I survived Masamune-kun from last season, so I can survive pretty much anything now.

Edited by pik3rob

27 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I survived that too but then I bet you didn't try to survive Hand Shakers... (note, I didn't)

I didn't even watch that because my intuition told me it'd be terrible. But I doubt I can hate it more than Masamune-kun. I probably hate that show more than anybody else in existence. I've actually personally wrote an 8500 word essay on why I hate it so much.

12 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

I didn't even watch that because my intuition told me it'd be terrible. But I doubt I can hate it more than Masamune-kun. I probably hate that show more than anybody else in existence. I've actually personally wrote an 8500 word essay on why I hate it so much.

Fear not, for if you need a new reference bad so as to not hate masamune-kun as your worst show, then I have found the antidote for you in Hand Shakers. It's not even bad in a 'so bad it's laughable' kind of way. I tried to laugh at it but failed. I highly recommend one episode of it. On the other hand I agree with you about Masamune-kun. It didn't even remotely deliver on even one of whatever feeble obvious plot devices it set up and just flung shit at its characters and story like a chimpanzee in the zoo, leaving us with the memory of a pile of poo.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Fear not, for if you need a new reference bad so as to not hate masamune-kun as your worst show, then I have found the antidote for you in Hand Shakers. It's not even bad in a 'so bad it's laughable' kind of way. I tried to laugh at it but failed. I highly recommend one episode of it. On the other hand I agree with you about Masamune-kun. It didn't even remotely deliver on even one of whatever feeble obvious plot devices it set up and just flung shit at its characters and story like a chimpanzee in the zoo, leaving us with the memory of a pile of poo.

I watched about a quarter of the first episode of Hand Shakers, and yeah, it's atrocious. The visual direction is probably among the worst in the industry, and it overall does not look to be a very good show. It just seems bad. But just being bad does not mean something is worse than Masamune-kun. I see myself not liking Hand Shakers, and easily giving it a score below a 3/10, but Masamune-kun is a show that actively frustrated me every single chance it got. Everything in that show was so frustrating that it's on a completely different spectrum of bad as Hand Shakers.

Edited by pik3rob

SukaSuka just instantly swept in and became the anime im looking most forward to watching this spring.

The music and art direction is on point and I have never seen a show that sets its tone so fast and does it so well.

This is going to be either one of the most memorable or the most underrated show this season, I call it.

Just watched the first episode of fukumenkei noise. Wow that was actually really good. After all the crap high school band romance shows of late (I'm looking at you Fuuka), this one seemed to actually hit all the right notes straight up... and Saori Hayami being the heroine VA is awesome since she's my top pick for sexy voice actress. Funnily enough everyone else hates this show so somehow it works for me but not anyone else. Then again, it was really only the last 5 minutes where I suddenly liked it that much so who knows...

22 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

SukaSuka just instantly swept in and became the anime im looking most forward to watching this spring.

The music and art direction is on point and I have never seen a show that sets its tone so fast and does it so well.

This is going to be either one of the most memorable or the most underrated show this season, I call it.

Shuumatsu was decent but I didn't find it quite as good as you.

Zero kara (after I woke up to watch the rest) was okay too but pretty formulaic.

@JibrilWhat about Seikaisuru Kado? :OurLordAndSavior:

This season feels very formulaic, regarding the anime that feel "clichéd but enjoyable." Although I'm counting neither Shingeki nor Academia, the first for being bad and the second for still being in the entertaining and "good" part of the story.

Shuumatsu looks somewhat interesting, but what the fuck was that musical at the beginning. So out of place and a bunch of minutes of episode lost. It's too early for it to mean anything to us.

Edited by Jun Inoue

I feel so confused with Kado. On one hand it looks somewhat interesting on the other it has a very high potential of a tranwreck being happening. Which is weird considering the series could do well on itself without all the cube mumbo jumbo just from the things we see in episode 0. That being said, I'll still use the third episode rule and see where it goes from episode 1. Other than that, I'm surprised to see how well they blend in CGI with traditional 2D. It's not perfect but it's probably the most well done I've seen in anime so far.

Hmm, now that I think about it, this is probably the first Spring season in recent years to not show an Isekai anime. Instead we're having the opposite of it.

EDIT: Oops, looks like Gin no Guardian is an Isekai type anime. But it's from a Chinese studio based on a Chinese webcomic so... not exactly?

Edited by Jibril

Seikaisuru Kado continues to impress by being very interesting while doing almost nothing for 20 minutes. And I don't mean this in a bad way, it's truly odd. The anime is super paused and calm, but never actually stops, so episodes go by in a flash when it could have otherwise felt like an eternity.

Edited by Jun Inoue

I just started catching up with the new season, after finally defeating persona 5, and I was kind of disappointed with what I saw. Of course there were shows that I picked up simply because I am a fan of the genre and a couple that are from adaptations of material I am familiar with. The only ones that really stood out, Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? and Seikaisuru Kado could become gems..... or meander around and go nowhere.

But there was nothing that got me really excited, not like the past several seasons, than I finally got to the end of my short list and watched Re:creators....... FUCK YESSSSSSSS. The first episode didn't quite get me hyped, but the second with the opening hinting at the future of the show and that exchange with the magical girl character, got me squeeing like a stuck pig. If this anime turns out shit, I think lasting damage will occur to my heart:kosame:

Edited by Soulless Watcher