Windows 8

Akaishizuki

don't grab W8 grab W7 cuz if you grab W8 some old VN like Muv-Luv or kanon doesnt work on W8 but if you wanted badly to swith W8 then go ahead

my advise if you want to play VN you should make a dual booting 1.W8(for personal use) 2.W7/XP (for VN)

Moved to correct forum. Maybe it could fit to VN general talk but it has nothing to do with fan translation or volunteer talk.

And on topic: w8 will bring lot of problems so if you are not experienced in using virtual PC or dual boot, I would stick to w7.

Win7 only have a problem on a small amount of games, not many where else win8 does

Damn, really? I did not know that, since, like I've said, I've only played two VNs since I've bought the new laptop with windows 8. >_<

Does the compatibility stuff not work in Win8?

Windows 8 isn't good, stick to windows 7 it's better in every way

It seems like Windows 8 is technically superior to Windows 7. That being said most users won't care about/notice the performance upgrades, the user interface is a mess and, most importantly, it's causing problems for gamers!

Windows 8 is not a bad OS at all. The UI is sort of goofy (having to switch between Metro and Desktop) but as for how it runs, it runs fairly well. I did mess up the drivers for my old integrated laptop graphics and caused a lot of games to run at a lower performance. But as for how W8 ran, I liked it. Still went back to 7 on my new computer though.

The problem isn't the UI as you can easily change it back to how it is in w7, or at least similar.

The biggest problem really is the compatibility, yes w8 has slightly better memory management and overall it works a bit faster (not by much) but all this is exchanged for stuff just not working on it, exactly because of this reason. Its not only that you will not be able to run this specific VN you just think about, yes, there are games you can't run but those are on w7 too, its always good to have virtual XP too. But the problem is the countless other software and small games and just things, you can't even think about now but when you need them, you want to be able to use them and they just wouldn't run.

A friend was using w8 for a while and he was first like "yeah I cant run this but there was a fix, the crackers now do better cracks that support w8 etc", but after a while, he realized that like one of 10 things he installs just don't work properly or don't work at all, and its just things you wouldn't think about now but you will want later.

Small things from simple encoding software to streaming and recording software, management software etc. So he went back to 7.

And the painful thing is that you might not be sure if it is problem of something else or windows 8, only later after hours of trying to fix it figuring that it is because of w8.

16-bit support is one thing that seems to have come back in Windows 8, for some odd reason.

MS has a history of removing things with each version, it's one thing to add new features but to force unnecessary changes only causes problems. Either way it'll be difficult to convince the users to switch back, although if many VNs you want to play don't work on Win8, maybe they'll reconsider... currently XP (32-bit) is probably the most compatible.