What is a weaboo?

Nekolover

8 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

In general, you won't be bashed for conforming to the views and beliefs of those around you, and in fact we expect this behavior of people.  The inability or diminished ability to conform to social and behavioral norms is what we term "autism", and is regarded as a serious deficiency.

"Autism" is definitely more complex than that.

15 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

In general, you won't be bashed for conforming to the views and beliefs of those around you, and in fact we expect this behavior of people.  The inability or diminished ability to conform to social and behavioral norms is what we term "autism", and is regarded as a serious deficiency.

You took things too far. Inability  doesn't inherently make the person have autism or any sort of brain difference.  Because everyone around me is a Christian but I am not. My political views neither match the people around me.  I am probably the only person I know who has an interest in other people countries. Does that mean I have autism? No.   Also, your argument is not valid.   Because what you are talking about are two different things.  One comes from one self-individual mind. The other comes from a mental condition that people can't help.  One is a choice but the other isn't. 

Disclaimer since I am probably being biased here. I have ASPERGER. 

34 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

Disclaimer since I am probably being biased here. I have ASPERGER. 

Yes, I figured.

35 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

You took things too far. Inability  doesn't inherently make the person have autism or any sort of brain difference.  Because everyone around me is a Christian but I am not. My political views neither match the people around me.  I am probably the only person I know who has an interest in other people countries. Does that mean I have autism? No.   Also, your argument is not valid.   Because what you are talking about are two different things.  One comes from one self-individual mind. The other comes from a mental condition that people can't help.  One is a choice but the other isn't. 

My statement isn't logically/objectively true and I know this.  Think of it more as a philosophical musing, a cynical jab at society and human nature, than a statement of fact.

17 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Yes, I figured.

My statement isn't logically/objectively true and I know this.  Think of it more as a philosophical musing, a cynical jab at society and human nature, than a statement of fact.

Because I'm weird?  I know. 

Umm I not sure I agree with that analogy.  

My aspergers compels me to say that "Asperger Syndrome" is now "Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1" in the DSM-V. Whether anyone was actually helped by this is debatable. On the internet, though, "autism" has taken on a meaning of its own :P

Being different from other people in opinions and preferences just means you need to act like you aren't if you want to fit in. Sucks and might be hard sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

My aspergers compels me to say that "Asperger Syndrome" is now "Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1" in the DSM-V. Whether anyone was actually helped by this is debatable. On the internet, though, "autism" has taken on a meaning of its own :P

Being different from other people in opinions and preferences just means you need to act like you aren't if you want to fit in. Sucks and might be hard sometimes.

The DSM sucks ass

13 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

On the internet, though, "autism" has taken on a meaning of its own :P

It's amusing to point this out to someone you know (or especially, someone you're working with who doesn't know you that well).  The usage as a casual insult isn't so much offensive as ignorant-sounding, but they don't know that and will trip over themselves trying to compensate.

21 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

On the bright side, you're probably less likely to press the button (one of the dangers of "flexible" thinking).

Umm I feel like you are insulting my intelligence.   And no I will not press that link.    Not because of  flexible" thinking but I don't need viruses or see weird shit. I don't need one cup girls to happen to me again. 

Just now, Nekolover said:

Umm I feel like you are insulting my intelligence.   And no I will not press that link.    Not because of  flexible" thinking but I don't need viruses or see weird shit. I don't need one cup girls to happen to me again. 

You can see what the link is by hovering over it.  It's a Wikipedia link.  You're probably safe.

On 7/21/2016 at 11:25 AM, sanahtlig said:

You can see what the link is by hovering over it.  It's a Wikipedia link.  You're probably safe.

You can change the name of links. o_o I not stupid. 

On 7/21/2016 at 11:12 AM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

The DSM sucks ass

You mean  Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders?  What the problem with it? 

On 7/21/2016 at 11:39 AM, sanahtlig said:

Consider whether Fuwanovel would allow me to post links that are malicious in nature, and if I'd still be around if I had a tendency to do this.

First I was joking about the virus thing. 2 what in the link? @_@ Somebody once promise me Nekos but they gave me a sad panda instead -.-

On 7/21/2016 at 11:33 AM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Just read it. It's mostly written by people who've clearly never met any patients of what they're diagnosing

I think I know what you mean. Could you quote something from it?  

10 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

First I was joking about the virus thing. 2 what in the link? @_@ Somebody once promise me Nekos but they gave me a sad panda instead -.-

It's an encyclopedia entry about a fascinating experiment demonstrating the power of authority to influence us to do things that violate our deepest-held convictions.

Only those worthy of nekos will see nekos.  All others will see only the sad panda that keeps vigil over the gates to paradise, guarding its sanctity against those who would defile it.

4 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

It's an encyclopedia entry about a fascinating experiment demonstrating the power of authority to influence us to do things that violate our deepest-held convictions.

Only those worthy of nekos will see nekos.  All others will see only the sad panda that keeps vigil over the gates to paradise, guarding its sanctity against those who would defile it.

I wouldn't say it is fascinating.

20 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Experiments like this aren't even allowed anymore.  The ugliness they expose is considered to be too traumatizing to the participants.  A pity.

More like they waste too much time conducting stupid experiments like these. So what ugliness was exposed here? It is clearly stated only a small fraction was prepared to administer the maximum voltage so there isn't anything so bad worthy of calling it frightening.

Even if it didn't have the results it did (though apparently there are some doubts as to their veracity), the experiment would still have been interesting if it didn't show the tendencies it claims to. Science is not simply about confirming hypotheses; a negative result can have as much use. How people react when asked by a strong authority to do immoral things seems like a pretty interesting topic to me.

5 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

More like they waste too much time conducting stupid experiments like these. So what ugliness was exposed here? It is clearly stated only a small fraction was prepared to administer the maximum voltage so there isn't anything so bad worthy of calling it frightening.

Thomas Blass of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County performed a meta-analysis on the results of repeated performances of the experiment. He found that while the percentage of participants who are prepared to inflict fatal voltages ranged from 28% to 91%, there was no significant trend over time and the average percentage for US studies (61%) was close to the one for non-US studies (66%).[9][10]

The participants who refused to administer the final shocks neither insisted that the experiment itself be terminated, nor left the room to check the health of the victim without requesting permission to leave, as per Milgram's notes and recollections, when fellow psychologist Philip Zimbardo asked him about that point.[11]

24 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

Even if it didn't have the results it did (though apparently there are some doubts as to their veracity), the experiment would still have been interesting if it didn't show the tendencies it claims to. Science is not simply about confirming hypotheses; a negative result can have as much use. How people react when asked by a strong authority to do immoral things seems like a pretty interesting topic to me.

For me is the opposite feeling. Although I don't see it necessary to study this when you can just see the present and past record of people just following orders in both new and previous war.

What's fascinating is that westerners seem to show more hostility towards weeaboos than Japanese would towards their kind. I mean, there are a number of 'purist' Japanese out there opposed to their country being polluted by the American culture, and yet there are a lot more Japanese who love embracing said culture, being fascinated by it.

While I understand that embracing and loving another culture isn't exactly what "weeaboo" means, a lot of people still throw around that term casually towards anyone who likes Japanese culture or openly talks about it (mostly when it involves anime). Makes me wonder if the same prejudice is as ubiquitous in Japan too (against American favoritism),