I'm Back

Narcosis

11 minutes ago, Decay said:

I tried out this MMO called Black Desert Online recently but it was too weird for me.

As in, different? Doesn't redeem it, tho. It's just another grind-for-nothing, time wasting cancer; Fishing Simulator 2016.

Such a massive letdown, I should have stayed away after first KR CBT's. BDO is like an entirely different game now. They haven't fixed any of it's major issues, either and I doubt we'll ever get the new combat system revamp they promised us. I swear, I'm never playing any more mmorpg's. I just want to pixel stuff now.

10 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

wb narc

how's that pixel art or w/e vn coming along

I resumed work on it.

33 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

As in, different? Doesn't redeem it, tho. It's just another grind-for-nothing, time wasting cancer; Fishing Simulator 2016.

Such a massive letdown, I should have stayed away after first KR CBT's. BDO is like an entirely different game now. They haven't fixed any of it's major issues, either and I doubt we'll ever get the new combat system revamp they promised us. I swear, I'm never playing any more mmorpg's. I just want to pixel stuff now.

I resumed work on it.

It being different wouldn't normally be a problem. The issue is that BDO was impenetrable, just extremely inaccessible. I'd be okay with a more sandboxy mmo in its style if I didn't have to do extensive out of game research just to learn the absolute basics, and if I didn't have to fight with the interface at every step of the way. Part of this was thanks to the abominably bad translation. The general combat-oriented questing experience was total shit, too, so the combat half was grindy and the crafting/trading/sandbox half was incomprehensible. 

52 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

I'm playing it whenever I feel like it. Way too much stuff to do that I don't even care. I am just having fun. I don't have 12 hours a day to spend on gaming.

That's a great attitude. The issue with it is, there's really no point in playing an mmorpg like BDO for like 2-4h per week just to do some questing etc. It's a waste of time, since it doesn't really have anything in particular to offer when it comes to basics. There's a ton of other games, that would be far better time investment.

9 hours ago, Decay said:

It being different wouldn't normally be a problem. The issue is that BDO was impenetrable, just extremely inaccessible. I'd be okay with a more sandboxy mmo in its style if I didn't have to do extensive out of game research just to learn the absolute basics, and if I didn't have to fight with the interface at every step of the way. Part of this was thanks to the abominably bad translation. The general combat-oriented questing experience was total shit, too, so the combat half was grindy and the crafting/trading/sandbox half was incomprehensible. 

No idea. I heard a lot of people complained about the UI, but it's clear and useful for me; it does, what it was supposed to do. But with the rest, I can somehow relate - the game starts of nicely, but after a while drops a ton of different tasks for you to do; it's incredibly confusing, more over when it doesn't really show, what's optional and what's not.

TL&DR

BDO might be fun, provided you're albe to sacrifice your entire free time on it and play A LOT. Otherwise, don't even bother. It's incredibly grindy, both in terms of endgame leveling and gear progresssion. Some people might argue there are life skills and you can play it truly the way you want... but that's not true. It isn't a sandbox either, just a slightly better sandpark version than AA. Way too many bad design decisions have been made and the fact Daum KR has a hold of the game doesn't help, either.

4 hours ago, Nashetania said:

You were away? :makina: 

No, I just took a break :Teeku:

10 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Although I do play MMORPGs. Currently, the soon-to-be-released on F2P ToS.

I wouldn't hold my hopes up for ToS, either. It's ridiculously grindy and doesn't seem to differ that much from the classics, it derived from.

10 hours ago, Dark Ariel7 said:

On a side note, I wanna love mmos I do. But they are always a let down.

That genre died years ago.

12 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

I wouldn't hold my hopes up for ToS, either. It's ridiculously grindy and doesn't seem to differ that much from the classics, it derived from.

Oh no, one of the reasons I'm playing the game on release is that they did some smart changes, so I've not had to grind until smth like lvl 140, and not for very long. I still do not have my hopes high, since IMC still needs to make it clear what content are they gonna offer to avoid the game from getting stale.

18 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

That's a great attitude. The issue with it is, there's really no point in playing an mmorpg like BDO for like 2-4h per week just to do some questing etc. It's a waste of time, since it doesn't really have anything in particular to offer when it comes to basics. There's a ton of other games, that would be far better time investment.

Would you recommend another game in the same genre which my time is better spent? I don't play MMOs because as you said, the genre is dead. But me and some of my friends founds BDO interesting and started playing together so I am more or less playing two different characters, one with my friends and one solo just to learn stuff/explore things.

8 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

Would you recommend another game in the same genre which my time is better spent? I don't play MMOs because as you said, the genre is dead. But me and some of my friends founds BDO interesting and started playing together so I am more or less playing two different characters, one with my friends and one solo just to learn stuff/explore things.

Something which bears similiarities to it's design and is a MP-oriented experience? I can't really recommend an mmorpg, since they all fail to convey what creators wanted them originally to be, but Don't Starve or 7 Days to Die, for example; they achieve a lot more than BDO does and do it through simpler means. If you want exploration, mystery and atmosphere, play Hyper Light Drifter.

Mmorpg's are a waste of time.